Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Argentina

Club or Nation

Duendes

And the award goes to...
I choose 5 nominees, you can put someone else, and say who is the winner for you.

1_ Michael Cheika
2_ Eddie Jones
3_ Daniel Hourcade
4_ Steve Hansen
5_ Stuart Lancaster...(oops sorry, mi fault:p)

The winner is : Eddie Jones

Last edited:

Ddanno

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

Lancaster. Because for about 38 minutes back in February, I believed in him. That's some hoodoo.

Last edited:

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Tough to choose between Jones and Cheika.

Hansen obviously get's an honourable mention for being in charge of the best side in the world, but they were the best side in the world before this year - I think the turnaround of Australia and the rise of Japan is more notable (for me, anyway).

I'd probably go for Eddie Jones, too. Australia have always been there or there abouts, and Cheika is getting them back to their best.
Japan, under Jones, have risen to remarkable levels, getting their first ever RWC win...and then a few more for good luck too!

nzlizard

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Chiefs

This will be determined by the outcome of the final, winning team will get Team and Coach of the year awards.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Umm, Hansen? The one whose team always wins?

You say that, but it'd take incompetence verging on Lancaster levels for the All Blacks to not be the best side in the world :p

Not slagging off Hansen, before anyone accuses me! He's undoubtedly a fine coach, I just think that Jones/Cheika have done/had to do more this year.

PacDuran

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

And the award goes to...
I choose 5 nominees, you can put someone else, and say who is the winner for you.

1_ Michael Cheika
2_ Eddie Jones
3_ Daniel Hourcade
4_ Steve Hansen
5_ Stuart Lancaster...(oops sorry, mi fault:p)

The winner is : Eddie Jones

Has to be Cheika. Why didn't Ireland pick him up?

nzlizard

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Chiefs

Cheikas work will mean nothing if he doesn't win the WC, but if he does he has the RC and the WC, shoe in for coach of the year and Aus team of the year.

If AB's win Hansen will get it and team of the year.

Jones has done good work with Japan and if they qualified for a quarter may have been in with a chance.

Tigs Man

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation

Wigan

Between Cheika and Jones for me.

(If it goes of the RWC)

Bo Jandals

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Even though he's not head coach, I'd love to see Wayne Smith get a mention somewhere someday. He's been fundamental throughout recent times within the AB set up either directly and/or indirectly

big ginger 8

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Because we picked the coach who was more successful in a shorter time frame in coaching Leinster? I don't think our head coach is exactly a problem.

SomeOke

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

South Africa

Club or Nation

Stormers

I mean absolutely no respect to AB fans, so don't take this personally but even if Hansen wins does that make him best coach? Hypothetically if the ABs win he took a WC winning team and made them a WC winning team. Where as Cheika took a union in shambles, one who many people thought would not leave their pool in the years leading up to the WC, and turned them into title contenders.

On the other hand would it be fair to not give him best coach based on one loss in the year...
Guess it will come down to the final then.

Last edited:

TRF_nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Ehh, well if Chieka wins the final than it's Chieka - if Hansen wins the final it's Hansen. I've never heard in my life of a guy who wins a RWC and not get coach of the year..

Bo Jandals

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

I mean absolutely no respect to AB fans, so don't take this personally but even if Hansen wins does that make him best coach? Hypothetically if the ABs win he took a WC winning team and made them a WC winning team. Where as Cheika took a union in shambles, one who many people thought would not leave their pool in the years leading up to the WC, and turned them into title contenders.

On the other hand would it be fair to not give him best coach based on one loss in the year...
Guess it will come down to the final then.

Firstly SomeOke, I take this very very personally, not because you're wrong but because you're so right DAMN IT :cryy:

Seriously though, you're right and what Cheika's done within the past year against all the odds is remarkable and that's regardless whether the WB's win it or not.

I'm still offended though :p

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Argentina

Club or Nation

CASI

Cheika. He got the team in 2014, second to last in the RC, first loss to Argentina.
A year later they win the RC and outclassed every single team they've faced (except maybe vs South Africa in Brisbane. That could have gone either way).
Credit where credit is due.

KeyboardWorrier

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Chiefs

Cheika is too hipster to get my vote. Those hipster glasses **** me off. I half expect he'll turn up wearing a flat brim hat during the final.

Bo Jandals

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Cheika. He got the team in 2014, second to last in the RC, first loss to Argentina.
A year later they win the RC and outclassed every single team they've faced (except maybe vs South Africa in Brisbane. That could have gone either way).
Credit where credit is due.

And the AB's at the GARDEN OF EDEN? The WB's didn't outclass NZ, the RC isn't that important one year out from the RWC but having said that, the AB's v WB's on neutral ground is a different kettle of fish.

On paper, I'd say Hansen from stats but in reality within a short stint as coach I'd be lying if I said Hansen was the coach of the year compared to Cheika. And Cheika is a pretty cool cat.

Cheika gets my vote

ABs2011

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Hurricanes

Winner of the RWC = Winner of Coach of the year => Hansen takes it!!

Primary

The Rugby Forum Assistant
Here are some related products that The Rugby Forum members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to The Rugby Forum’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to The Rugby Forum discussions about these products.