• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International coach of the year

Agree with all that, and I'd have been very happy to see Jones get it based on what Japan achieved under him.

Was with you until ^^. Japan's coach deserves the coach of the year award as much as Argentina's coach........

So, let me get this straight.

Finishing second in the RWC means you're the best coach? So, by finishing 2nd in the RC, does that mean All Blacks actually won the RC by coming second?

So, let me get this straight.

Finishing second in the RWC means you're the best coach? So, by finishing 2nd in the RC, does that mean All Blacks actually won the RC by coming second?

No, it means that the judges recognized that being in charge of an awesome team that has already won everything and then having them keep doing that isn't the toughest test of a coach's skills.

As I said before, Chris Anderson, one of the worst coaches in Rugby League, managed to coach the Kangaroos to 3-0 series whitewash over Great Britain a few years back when the poms thought they had a shot. It turned out that having masters like Lockyer, Johns, Fitler, and a forward pack with guys like Webke and Civonenceva kinda made his job pretty easy.

When the bloke was in charge of an average team they couldn't win sh#t, but using your logic he was an awesome coach of the Kangaroos just because they won. That gives him undue credit for the results of an astonishingly talented team, and the same applies with Hansen.

I guess you're right.

On another note, my ten year old car used to break down all the time. I replaced the faulty part with a $10 plug from the market and it doesn't breakdown at all. My car is now better than a new Porsche.

I guess you're right.

See, that wasn't so hard now was it? I'm glad you have finally accepted the blindingly obvious logic that calling Hansen a genius for coaching the ABs after Henry's masterful rebuild with all their talent is kinda like giving the teacher of the year award to a teacher who was put in charge of a class room of the world's youngest Mensa members.

See, that wasn't so hard now was it? I'm glad you have finally accepted the blindingly obvious logic that calling Hansen a genius for coaching the ABs after Henry's masterful rebuild with all their talent is kinda like giving the teacher of the year award to a teacher who was put in charge of a class room of the world's youngest Mensa members.

But if you are not challenging, coaching, building, focusing, etc etc it doesn't matter how good they are.

He out thought Cheika in the final, he nullified anything Aus could throw at them, his win % was greater than Henry's.

He is a great coach and at this stage a better coach than Cheika, I posted earlier in this thread that if Cheika can back this up with a RC and Bledisloe win next year than he will be worthy of the award.

At this stage Hansen > Cheika base don this years results.

No, it means that the judges recognized that being in charge of an awesome team that has already won everything and then having them keep doing that isn't the toughest test of a coach's skills.
Possibly. However, taking a team that has won everything and making them significantly better is, I would say, about as difficult as it gets.

People do know that Hansen has already won the last three coach of the year awards? Maybe the committee or whoever picks the winner decided that he'd already been recognised enough for his impact on NZ and that those previous years had more of an impact than this one?

People do know that Hansen has already won the last three coach of the year awards? Maybe the committee or whoever picks the winner decided that he'd already been recognised enough for his impact on NZ and that those previous years had more of an impact than this one?
Yes, thank you. That I can agree with - now we're getting somewhere.

Ok, so given what Cheika did with the Wallabies this year, what did Hansen need to do to get coach of the year? Would you say that if the ABs had won that Sydney test then it would have gone to Hansen?

But if you are not challenging, coaching, building, focusing, etc etc it doesn't matter how good they are.

He out thought Cheika in the final, he nullified anything Aus could throw at them, his win % was greater than Henry's.

He is a great coach and at this stage a better coach than Cheika, I posted earlier in this thread that if Cheika can back this up with a RC and Bledisloe win next year than he will be worthy of the award.

At this stage Hansen > Cheika base don this years results.

I've read that under Henry the key thing he did was effectively give a lot more responsibility for the All Blacks to a core group of senior players that obviously centred around blokes like McCaw. It's interestingly very much the approach Mal Meninga has for the Queenslanders in Origin. Hansen has kept that, but once that core leaves it will bring up new challenges.

I'm really interested to see how the All Blacks manage the post McCaw, Carter, Nonu era.

So are we, but with Hansen at the helm I can't see too many issues with keeping the boat steady.

Latest posts