• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International day out - losing it's appeal...?

Dunhookin

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
I never thought I'd ever type or utter such words...but to not inconsiderable dismay, it's becoming my mind set. Having always absolutely loved being at Twickenham, Cardiff or Paris on international day, the craic, the buzz - just a fizzing intoxication but...things are changing.

If I can get one, a ticket for Twickenham is circa £85/£90 - add the return train fare £65, then beers and some scoff (cheese role or hog roast roll does just fine) it's a good £220 hole in your wallet, if my girlfriend comes too - it's really pocket wincing. I don't begrudge the cost per se - it's a blinding day out, but the recent announcement that the RFU are intending to blast out some inappropriately loud rock music at every try - frankly does my lid in.

I have no wish to endure having to sit through some inane racket akin to a cute, small furry animal being ruthlessly tortured when a try is scored...WTF is all that utter nonsense about? It's mind numbing. The RFU are justifying it by quoting some apparent market research they'd done - or caused to have done, says many would be in favour. Really - and what about the traditional time served enthusiasts who have supported the game for years paying through the nose for expensive match tickets along the way? Clearly - of no consequence.

It's more than bad enough having the stadium announcer screech and yell at half time in some bizarre attempt to keep the crowd entertained for 10 minutes?? With all due respect to the bloke, he's only doing his job, but his voice has a hysterical tone and almost beseeches the crowd to be entertained by whatever is laid on. Rugby crowds don't need to be entertained at half time - there's plenty to talk about, by all means lay on some half time activity, kids tag rugby etc, people that want to, will watch, some won't, but it's far more preferable than having it force fed as it is now.

I've arranged an old farts get together for a gang of retired players fond of exaggerating tales of on field derring do in their playing days fuelled by Sharp's Doombar! We're meeting in a marvellous local hostelry for lunch, beers and Scot/Ire, then Eng/Fra and dinner later. Result. We'll be able to mute the hideous racket polluting the air after a try but still savour the occasion and generally have a great day together. Cost - about £60 to £70. Bargain

Who remembers Twickenham when the band of The Royal Marines etc marched up and down the pitch before the match? - not at half time cos the teams were in a huddle in the middle of the pitch, even if it was pishing down!
And the beer in the bars was quite good and not expensive :bonne-de:
And in Paris with the Bandas from Dax or wherever.......
Them's were the days!

Twickenham is a horrible place to get to and even a more horrible to get out of. Jim Telfer made some comments about Twickenham in regards the crowd etc today in the BBC and hes not far from the mark.

Cardiff is always good, plenty of parking, plenty of bars, not too hostile atmosphere. Not been to the others so cannot comment.

Got to say watching it on the big screen, having some nice hot snap, washed down with a pint at the local rugby club or pub takes some beating.

I can't speak for other national stadia, but a trip to Twickenham holds little appeal for me. The stadium itself is pretty second rate with seats that anyone who played in the tight five in the last thirty years is likely to find uncomfortable, restricted views and a need for theatre glasses from the majority of seats. There's a poor choice of wildly overpriced beer and the toilets need cleaning or maintenance (the last time I was there, I had a choice between a cubicle that I could lock and one with toilet paper). All in all, it leaves the impression that I'm an easily replaced cash cow rather than a valued customer. It's also a shame IMO that many of the crowd have little interest in rugby and are just there to enjoy a jolly boy's outing.

All in all, a trip to my local club holds more appeal to me.

I haven't watched a match at the Millennium (or should that be Principality?), but I have done a tour. The seats are a damn sight more comfortable and even in the second tier, you still feel close to the pitch. As I haven't watched a match there I don't know whether it addresses my other problems with Twickenham.

I went to both the Millenium and HQ during the RWC. My first visit to Cardiff and I was mighty impressed. Helps that the city centre is right close by as well.

Twickenham feels like what it is, a monster that has evolved rather than state of the art design. When I go, which is rarely now, I end up watching most of the game on the big screen.

On the cost, yes that is a lot of money, although many West End theatre tickets are similarly priced. The RFU can fill HQ many times over for each game, but those prices have to be freezing some out and I'd like to see some matches, maybe the AIs, move away from London. Will never happen, obvs.

I went to both the Millenium and HQ during the RWC. My first visit to Cardiff and I was mighty impressed. Helps that the city centre is right close by as well.

Twickenham feels like what it is, a monster that has evolved rather than state of the art design. When I go, which is rarely now, I end up watching most of the game on the big screen.

On the cost, yes that is a lot of money, although many West End theatre tickets are similarly priced. The RFU can fill HQ many times over for each game, but those prices have to be freezing some out and I'd like to see some matches, maybe the AIs, move away from London. Will never happen, obvs.

They did move the AI's out of London a couple of times, sure England played New Zealand at Old Trafford once. Its a good idea, England V Samoa at the Richo would be a nice change but while they can pile the crowds into HQ they wont change it.

Good point, I can't imagine that anywhere can top the Millenium for location.

Lucky you! I revisited Twickenham for the first time in a lot of years three or four years ago and had seats towards the back of the second tier. I commented to my wife that I thought it was strange that a modern stadium didn't have a big screen. She pointed to the large screen that she had a perfect view of. Being a foot or so taller than her, I had a perfect view of the the third tier and couldn't see the screen without contorting myself to get my head as low as possible!

I'm in two minds on pricing. On the one hand, I think that rugby should be for rugby supporters, not for corporate junkets and should be made affordable to people who are used to paying a fiver to watch their local club. On the other hand, I think it's simple supply and demand, why not milk those who are prepared to pay for all they're worth and use that money for the good of the game in England?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's less than enamoured with the current product.

They did move the AI's out of London a couple of times, sure England played New Zealand at Old Trafford once.

Yikes, I'd quite forgotten I went to that!! 20 years ago. Cockers going nose to nose with Hewitt in the haka and, more scarily, Mike Catt goal kicking from 10. A routine drubbing, but I just remember being totally transfixed by Lomu. What a sight.

Obvs the days before the RFU mortgaged its granny to pay for the HQ redevelopment, but it was a good thing to do and I'd like to see more of it.

Yeah me too, not just in to places like Manchester and Newcastle in an attempt to grow Union but to the West country and East Midlands which are the traditional heart lands of the game.

No question that the Millenium is a fantastic place to watch rugby for all the reasons stated.

But I must admit this constant running down of Twickenham ****** me off - it's almost like it's a fashionable thing to do.

Telfer's comments are one-eyed to say the least ("If you ever think about wanting separation from England just sit 10 minutes in Twickenham and listen to them" - What the ***** does that even mean?). Yeah there are plenty of fans who are a bit clueless or on a corporate jolly but that's no different from any large rugby stadium.
It's not perfect - bloody expensive, not in a great location (Murrayfield and Stade de France aren't exactly central) and probably a little outdated but it ain't like they struggle to sell the tickets so it can't be all bad.

If you would rather watch matches down your local rugby club or pub then that's fair enough, I love doing the same - but it does not compare in any way to watching England live at Twickenham, how could it?

Latest posts