• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International Rugby News Top Ten Players

D

DaKine

IRN's Top Ten International Players

I like their selections but not so sure about Hernandez being better than Dan Carter, I also don't know much about him.

Mine would probably look like this:

1. Richie McCaw
2. Dan Carter
3. Schalk Burger
4. Bryan Habana
5. Shane Williams
6. Fourie Du Preez
7. Jean De Villiers
8. Brian O'Driscoll
9. John Smits
10. Victor Matfield

Though, there are so many good players in top form it is hard to say who would be better than others.

Not trying to put down South Africa, but if we base this on this year then I wouldn't include Habana, Juan Smith, Burger, Smit, Matfield, Du Preez as well as Hernandez. Not saying that any of them weren't great, but they were outshined by other players in those positions this year...

If this includes the World Cup then I take back everything I said there.

Also, O'Driscoll hasn't done much for a few years, and would be well behind the pecking order of outside centres.

My top ten for THIS YEAR would include (in no particular order).....

Richie Mccaw
Dan Carter
Jean DeVilliers
Matt Giteau
George Smith
Sergio Parisse
Shane Williams
Mike Blair
Mils Muliaina

and a tie between Ryan Jones and Stephen Moore

Richie McCaw was obviously going to be top.

Personally I wouldn't have put Bryan Habana or Juan Smith anywhere near the top ten. Burger and Matfield? Probably. Jean De Villiers should definately have been in the top ten as well.

i wish i watched more european footy.

so can't really comment on this list, what i do know though, is that McCaw was definately going to be #1, how he didn't win IRB player of the year is beyond me.

shouldn't the number one player be Shane Williams? Mr IRB player of the year? lol

Dan Carter is and would be my number one. I don't think I could compose a top ten because I don't see enough NH rugby.

Yea not sure at all about Habana and Hernandez even more so. He would barely get in my top 20, he's a Carlos Spencer type player.

1-Richie McCaw
2-Jean De Villiers
3-Dan Carter
4-Matt Giteau
5-Shane Williams
6-Schalk Burger
7-Sergio Parisse
8-Mike Blair
9-Mils Muliana
10-Horwill

Shane Williams I think quite nice candidate

Also Dan Carter, Juan Smith and Habana

I think McCaw is also very good candidate but he recieved a lot previously and may not appear the jury favorite

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jan 13 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How long do we have to wait for a descent english player to come long and join those ranks?
Do we even have any prospects! What a sorry state[/b]

Top 10 lists like that are a load of old cobblers anyway; How can somebody compare a Tighthead prop to an openside flanker to a scrum-half to a fly-half to an outside centre? McCaw is at number one, but he's get muched in the front row and wouldn't be any use at kicking for goal from 50 yards on the touchline.

Then remember that publications such as IRN only consider international players anywhere near worthy of the nod. Using England as an example, straight away that's ******** as I could name a better XV of non-capped players that would wallop the <strike>Johnsons</strike> Andrews selected XV over the AI's. But most will never get a call up because they don't have the right friends in the right places (*coughJamesHaskellcough*). None of these players will ever be looked at by the so-called 'expert' analysts (you know, the same people who call Burger an blindside flanker just because he wears 6) because they're not internationals.

If there were enough hours in the day to study every player in rugby at the top levels (Premiership, S14, Top 14, ML, HEC etc.) there would be a much fairer ratings for the NH based players. As it its though, SH internationals teams are lightyears ahead of their Northern counterparts which are all in disarray. That's why the 45 players in the <strike>******** who want to kill rugby union</strike> SANZAR national squads will, for now at least, always be rated above anyone else.

The top 10 must be like this:

1.Jean de Villiers
2.Don't care
3.Don't care
4.Don't care
5.Don't care
6.Don't care
7.Don't care
8.Don't care
9.Don't care
10.Don't care

now isn't that a great list? :D

Shane Williams should be number 1 though, he is after all the player of the year

McCaw is <strike>overrated</strike> a good player but didn't have a such a great year as Shane Williams

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 13 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1.Jean de Villiers
2.Don't care
3.Don't care
4.Don't care
5.Don't care
6.Don't care
7.Don't care
8.Don't care
9.Don't care
10.Don't care

now isn't that a great list? :D

Shane Williams should be number 1 though, he is after all the player of the year

McCaw is <strike>overrated</strike> a good player but didn't have a such a great year as Shane Williams[/b]
Yeeah the list is great especially started from number two :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 13 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1.Jean de Villiers
2.Don't care
3.Don't care
4.Don't care
5.Don't care
6.Don't care
7.Don't care
8.Don't care
9.Don't care
10.Don't care

Now isn't that a great list? :D[/b]
No.

It lacks Dan Parks.

It also lacks Gavin Henson - ludicrous decision, given his form in the past three games.

Pretty good list. Haven't watched to much Heineken Cup, but of all the rugby I've watched this year heres my list.

1 - McCaw
2 - Carter
3 - Jean De Villiers
4 - Mils Muliaina
5 - Shane Williams
6 - Giteu
7 - George Smith
8 - Mike Blair
9 - Euan Murray (Mainly because he destroyed the All Black scrum)
10 - Tony the Woodcock (For his outpacing of the Aussie backs for a try in the corner)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (all7days @ Jan 17 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pretty good list. Haven't watched to much Heineken Cup, but of all the rugby I've watched this year heres my list.

1 - McCaw
2 - Carter
3 - Jean De Villiers
4 - Mils Muliaina
5 - Shane Williams
6 - Giteu
7 - George Smith
8 - Mike Blair
9 - Euan Murray (Mainly because he destroyed the All Black scrum)
10 - Tony the Woodcock (For his outpacing of the Aussie backs for a try in the corner)[/b]

You can't really say Euan Murray destroyed the all black scrumm because it wasn't a full strength All Black team!

If McCaw Is No.1 on the IRBs ranking why didn't he get player of the year!!!!!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimbook @ Jan 17 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can't really say Euan Murray destroyed the all black scrumm because it wasn't a full strength All Black team!

If McCaw Is No.1 on the IRBs ranking why didn't he get player of the year!!!!!!!![/b]

I could say he only did it because Sean Fitzpatrick, Craig Dowd and Carl Hayman weren't all playing at the same time.
Or that lil Jamie was just starting out.
But I'd rather just say that he destroyed the All Black scrum.
Because he did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 14 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jan 13 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long do we have to wait for a descent english player to come long and join those ranks?
Do we even have any prospects! What a sorry state[/b]

Top 10 lists like that are a load of old cobblers anyway; How can somebody compare a Tighthead prop to an openside flanker to a scrum-half to a fly-half to an outside centre? McCaw is at number one, but he's get muched in the front row and wouldn't be any use at kicking for goal from 50 yards on the touchline.

Then remember that publications such as IRN only consider international players anywhere near worthy of the nod. Using England as an example, straight away that's ******** as I could name a better XV of non-capped players that would wallop the <strike>Johnsons</strike> Andrews selected XV over the AI's. But most will never get a call up because they don't have the right friends in the right places (*coughJamesHaskellcough*). None of these players will ever be looked at by the so-called 'expert' analysts (you know, the same people who call Burger an blindside flanker just because he wears 6) because they're not internationals.

If there were enough hours in the day to study every player in rugby at the top levels (Premiership, S14, Top 14, ML, HEC etc.) there would be a much fairer ratings for the NH based players. As it its though, SH internationals teams are lightyears ahead of their Northern counterparts which are all in disarray. That's why the 45 players in the <strike>******** who want to kill rugby union</strike> SANZAR national squads will, for now at least, always be rated above anyone else.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah McCaw would get munched in the front row but I guess these lists are based on their overall influence on a game or ability to turn a game which all the players in the top 10 list can do.

Ok the most pointless player, playing international rugby today is ..........

_42518471_laporte_gety.jpg

'can you go! please!'

David Skrela.

Latest posts