• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International rugby vs. Club rugby

Which are more important to you?

• Nov/June test matches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
U

up'n'under

I've been reading a lot of articles concerning the recent autumn tests and the ARU's threat to stop touring if full strength squads aren't sent from the NH in June. Everyone seems to have a different idea on how to solve the problem but I wanted to take the pulse of rugby fans worldwide on the forum to
see where we're at.I have my own thoughts but I want to see what the fans of the principal nations involved have to say before I give my 2 cents. ;)

I don't know, I'm tied between the two.
Nothing beats a good weekend of Heineken Cup rugby, but on the day of an international, my heart races with anticipation. I suppose that's because of patriotism kicking in - I sincerely enjoy watching my country play like it did during the Autumn - the first half against NZ was enthralling. But with European rugby, the tournament is so unpredictable that one round can change the whole outlook of the knockout stages. Besides, the rugby played is fantastic too - the Clermont v Munster battle this weekend was as exciting as the same fixture was the week before, and that was damn exciting.
You can notice when a competition means something to a side when they keep the scoreline within two points after being dealt a red card; and also when after going down two points with six minutes, a side comes back and scores two tries (the cnuts...)

In your case, I believe you're referring to the Aussies whinging about the French second side that toured this Summer. Basically, and every French member here can confirm this for you guys, the T14 is a massive competition for all sides involved, and to win the cup is certainly a great honour; this is also reflected in the way that French sides normally screw the European competition over (Toulouse aside) with weakened teams, and aim for a T14 victory instead. This was pretty much epitomised by Clermont's sending of a second side to Limerick last season, where Munster made easy work of a scratch side (this decision could have cost Clermont a knockout spot in the end), just so they could aim for T14 glory, despite being upset by Toulouse in Paris in June. I think it's simple really: French sides value league glory over some tour which pretty much proves nothing for nobody this far away from the World Cup - and given that Lievremont has been experimenting with the international side anyway, a chance to send youngsters down under would have been most welcome.

Bit of a no brainer for me. I'm Irish first and foremost so Ireland comes first. Lucky for me though there's no provincial clash with international weekends anymore, bar the off weekend's in the Six Nations but that's only twice a year, I'll accept that for the sake of the international team.

Im spilt id rather see proper summer tours done by the NH sides who go to SH! A few tests and a few friendlies thats all!

I prefer International Rugby hands down. The Super 14 is largely just something to keep me entertained while I wait for the All Blacks to start playing.

However, I've become a lot more passionate about the Hurricanes than I used to be. They still mean a lot to me, just not as much as the All Blacks do.

At times the Hurricanes can be more entertaining because they're so unpredictable. You know they're capable of winning every game or losing every game. It just depends which 'Canes side turns up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 16 2008, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nothing beats a good weekend of Heineken Cup rugby, but on the day of an international, my heart races with anticipation. I suppose that's because of patriotism kicking in - I sincerely enjoy watching my country play like it did during the Autumn - the first half against NZ was enthralling. But with European rugby, the tournament is so unpredictable that one round can change the whole outlook of the knockout stages. Besides, the rugby played is fantastic too - the Clermont v Munster battle this weekend was as exciting as the same fixture was the week before, and that was damn exciting.
You can notice when a competition means something to a side when they keep the scoreline within two points after being dealt a red card; and also when after going down two points with six minutes, a side comes back and scores two tries (the cnuts...)[/b]

Completely agree. I've been to a live game roughly every weekend since the season began. Most are my club National 3 South side Richmond, but I've been to a few GP games, 2 England games and I went to Quins vs Stade. Without a shadow of a doubt the most fun I've had all season watching rugby was the Heineken cup game.

There's something about the Heineken Cup that is so very special, largely because you're seeing fantastic sides that are about equal knocking the **** out of each other for 80 mins, and the scores are nearly always between 10 points. If there's any more than that then one side has had to play a blinder. (I'm not counting games against the Italian sides).

However, as Speedy said the anticipation for international games is far greater. I am so psyched before every England game - even this autumn when we were **** - because it's England playing and even if I think we will lose I cannot wait to see if our big guys will dominate and if our quick ones will dazzle. It's almost a tribal thing.

International rugby is a pinnacle, it's where your nation shows to the rest of the world how it can front up in the most diverse team sport in the world. Rugby is the MMA of team sports.

That's why I got up early with hangovers to go to the local pub/ hotel to watch the games in NZ in June over a cup of coffee. I knew we'd get battered, but it's still England.

If we were to send a 2nd string side out, that's when I'd stop watching. I didn't see the last tour of South Africa, for example. It was a waste of time. SH teams will have to accept that all the home nations sent their strongest sides out last summer, and we try to most of the time... it's just after 9 months of physically bruising rugby, with no breaks, there are players with injuries, and the summer is the only time players can have operations on that ****ling knee injury, since during the season something like that would put them out for months and hence lots of matches.

I personally think that instead of going to NZ and playing them twice, we should play NZ, Fiji and Australia or some combination like that. My criticism of NH tours is that they're too one-dimensional.

I clicked view results (null vote) and now it's telling me I have voted. Same thing happened to me in the player of the AI poll actually :angry: I really can't choose between club and International rugby though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 17 2008, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I clicked view results (null vote) and now it's telling me I have voted. Same thing happened to me in the player of the AI poll actually :angry: I really can't choose between club and International rugby though.[/b]

if you want to see results before voting, log out and view the topic as a guest and you'll see the votes cast

Usually I would give precedence to Test Rugby over Club Rugby but this is not black and white. For example I will always prefer the final stages of the Top14 over Tours and prefer 6N over Club Rugby when they overlap.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 17 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 17 2008, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I clicked view results (null vote) and now it's telling me I have voted. Same thing happened to me in the player of the AI poll actually :angry: I really can't choose between club and International rugby though.[/b]

if you want to see results before voting, log out and view the topic as a guest and you'll see the votes cast
[/b][/quote]

I will in future, but the view results (null vote) button is a bit misleading isn't it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 17 2008, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 17 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 17 2008, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I will in future, but the view results (null vote) button is a bit misleading isn't it?
[/b][/quote]

I find nothing misleading about null vote.

Got to be club rugby. Its great when England are doing well but I still dont think you can beat the buzz of your home town club team playing in a final or playing one of Europes finest.

Internationals hands down. When I get the chance I'll even watch a test match that doesn't involve the AB's.

I love Super 14 and Air NZ Cup but there is an extra dimension to test rugby, all that national pride on the line, I'd love to see old style tours because club sides against test teams (with all the newbies getting their chances to shine) are just great, look at Munster that was probably the most exciting game of the entire AI's. I also hate the second/third string throw away sides that we occasionally get in June, it devalues the test matches, and the touring side get nothing out of it, and we the watching public feel bilked. The SH top players play from January to November and they send full strength teams so we don't get the tired/too much rugby argument.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanCarterite @ Dec 17 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Internationals hands down. When I get the chance I'll even watch a test match that doesn't involve the AB's.

I love Super 14 and Air NZ Cup but there is an extra dimension to test rugby, all that national pride on the line, I'd love to see old style tours because club sides against test teams (with all the newbies getting their chances to shine) are just great, look at Munster that was probably the most exciting game of the entire AI's. I also hate the second/third string throw away sides that we occasionally get in June, it devalues the test matches, and the touring side get nothing out of it, and we the watching public feel bilked. The SH top players play from January to November and they send full strength teams so we don't get the tired/too much rugby argument.[/b]

But you should get the injured argument.

Wallabies first.
But in league its completely different. I'd rather watch my club play than my country. I'd rather watch any old NRL game that an international. But state of origin beats everything hands down. Queensland, Broncos then Australia in league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanCarterite @ Dec 17 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I love Super 14 and Air NZ Cup but there is an extra dimension to test rugby, all that national pride on the line, I'd love to see old style tours because club sides against test teams (with all the newbies getting their chances to shine) are just great, look at Munster that was probably the most exciting game of the entire AI's. I also hate the second/third string throw away sides that we occasionally get in June, it devalues the test matches, and the touring side get nothing out of it, and we the watching public feel bilked. The SH top players play from January to November and they send full strength teams so we don't get the tired/too much rugby argument.[/b]

+1

Internationals are the most exciting games...In the same way, the HCup is pretty good to watch. Also in France the top14 is not available on the public television, contrary to the 6 Nations that I have been watching every year since I was a child.
My list would be:

RWC
6 Nations
H Cup

3 Nations
S14
CC/ANZC

Internationals by a country mile.

Thats what I've been brought up on and that is what gets the motor going in the morning. Theres just that sense of anticipation, of excitement that you don't get with Club Rugby unless its the HEC.

Also, for the billionth time, how are we meant to send a full strength side down there if they're all in hospital?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 18 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Internationals by a country mile.

Thats what I've been brought up on and that is what gets the motor going in the morning. Theres just that sense of anticipation, of excitement that you don't get with Club Rugby unless its the HEC.

Also, for the billionth time, how are we meant to send a full strength side down there if they're all in hospital?![/b]

Send the hospital!

Latest posts