• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International Rules Football (Compromise Rules Football)

So the rest of the world gets the game live while we in OZ are forced to watch the game on a 7 hour delay :toss:

**** poor effort by ch10, you wouldn't even know the series exists with the lack of news and advertising on tv and in the papers over here. I've been keeping an eye on Fox sports news (24/7 australian sports news channel) over the last few days and not once have they mentioned the IR series. Plenty of Aussie Rules news, even though the season is well and truly over!..... and the only IR artictle in the paper today was about the counter-surveillance/terrorism expert traveling with the team this year..... nothing on the actual game. :%#%#: :rahh: :ranting: :wall:

/rant

Anywho, i'm pumped for this game ,Pearse stadium is a sell out(has been for some time) and apparently the Croke test has almost sold all 80,000 tickets !... so the atmosphere should be amazing.

C'MON AUSSIES!!!

Yeah already 65000+ tickets sold for next week, capacity is down 3000 for some reason, haven't found out yet but there shouldn't be any problem selling the remaining 13000 tickets given the prime time exposure of the test on free to air television.

Seán Boylan won't name the team just until before kickoff, so no news yet on that score for Ireland.

Great final quarter from Ireland, thought the Aussies had it in the bag, crucial block from Barden to deny Voss a goal, thought O'Keeffe should have done better as well when he had a mark but chose to take it rather than play on for the goal, same mistake from Bergen but at least they made amends.

Again I'm like a stuck record but we won so this can't be accused of as whingeing but the refereeing needs to be looked at, basic things like tackling when they're playing the ball on the ground which isn't allowed being called up by one ref and let go by another.

Well done Ireland

That little dog biting the players was classic :lol:.... Ireland must be the only place in the world where you can take your dog to a game of footy..... i love it!... pity he didn't get a game this time.

I thought the whole game was a bit of an anti-climax, it seems as though a lot of the threats to end the series has taken alot of the aggresion and intensity out of the game.

Aussies were lucky not to be down by a lot more in the first quarter, they were truly terrible with the round ball.They did better in the 2nd and 3rd but made the stupid mistake of playing tempo footy in the last 2 minutes of the game -As soon as we decided to stop attacking i knew we would blow the lead, you just cant afford to kick it around when you are absolutely useless with it(round ball).

It's now set up perfectly for next week, with an extra weeks practise i expect the Aussies to be a completely different team for the 2nd game (they usually are). At alot of times during the match it looked like they were playing on an ice rink with a bar of soap..... quite humorous indeed.

I'm with you on the poor refereeing An Tarb, i thought they controlled the game well but my main gripe was with all the holding going on off the ball..... i think bad umpiring is something that will never change in this game.

The thing that was truly embarassing from an Irish point of view was the amount of wides we had, bearing in mind we play with only the middle posts and about 4 or 5 times the ball went wide of the outer posts it truly is appaling and says everything about the slipping standards of football in this country.

The agression certainly seems to be gone, thought it might kick off a bit when Simpson tried to have a go at a couple of the Irish players but there's obviously the fear that if they do something they could end up missing out on a number of series like Johnson which would be a massive blow considering it's the only time they get to play for their country.

304909bu.jpg

Ahhhhhh! 9 points right at the end when we needed it, and least expected it. Had us on the edges of our seats screaming like madmen! Horrible second half for Ireland, but we did it in the end.
Can't wait till next weekend!

grrr, coudln't have lost it any other way could we. i would prefer to get smashed by the irish than lose like that.

Security scare for Aussies
Mark Stevens in Galway
October 30, 2006 11:00pm

THE AFL Players' Association has criticised the "sub-standard" security at the first International Rules Test, declaring the Australian team deserved better.

AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale was in the stands at Pearse Stadium on Sunday, watching the regular pitch invasions and lack of deterrence in disbelief.

Gale raised his concerns with AFL officials after about 2000 delirious fans swamped the players immediately after the siren confirmed an eight-point Ireland win.

"The standards we have in AFL football are a little different and it's fair to say a little more professional," Gale said yesterday.

"It's fair for our players to expect those standards in an International Rules series between two nations. It was sub-standard.

"You don't like to think about these things, but you never know what could happen.

"It does raise player security issues as well and player safety (issues).

"I know they had provisions at the end of the game to put stewards around the ground and they didn't do a whole lot in the end.

"It took me by surprise â€" and a lot of the other people in the AFL party."

Gale said the AFL and Gaelic Athletic Association would now have to discuss security matters, which were on the agenda yesterday as the bodies met to review the opening Test.

Although the AFL is hopeful there will be no repeat at Dublin's Croke Park on Sunday, Irish journalists confirmed pitch invasions had been a problem at that ground as well this year.

At halftime in the Galway game, six fans in various costumes and a streaker entered the field of play and did as they pleased without intervention.

During the three-quarter time break, another invader wearing nothing but black underwear ran on to the pitch and remained there for several minutes.

He approached Australian player Adam Selwood and held up the start of the final term before police belatedly became involved.

"To see invasions and not a whole lot done about it for quite some time is a concern," Gale said.

Officials were last night screening video of an incident involving Ireland's Graham Geraghty and Australian Lindsay Gilbee. Geraghty appeared to make contact with his knee to Gilbee's head during the third term.

Gilbee left the ground bleeding and required four stitches to a wound in his forehead.

If Geraghty is found guilty he will miss this week's second Test.

Go back home and whine to your mothers.

A bunch of "professionals" were beat by a group of "amateurs."

You've got to love the Australian media, their team is unable to kill off what was one of the poorest Irish sides to play this game in a long time and instead of focusing on their failures they look at this.

Pitch invasions are a norm at big GAA matches i.e. provincial finals and All Ireland Finals, this series is on a par with that. So whoever this journo is get over yourself, the Aussies must have a weak mental state if they're intimidated by kids running on the pitch after a match. There's never been a safety issue over this before why should it be any different with the Australians.

So stories about a pitch invasion make the press but nothing about Brendon Favola being sent home for allegedy assaulting a hotel staff member in Galway, seems to have got away after being questioned by the gardaí.

So stories about a pitch invasion make the press but nothing about Brendon Favola being sent home for allegedy assaulting a hotel staff member in Galway, seems to have got away after being questioned by the gardaí.
[/b]

Oh the Brendon Favola story is big news over here in Melbourne. Front page of the daily rags and all over radio talkback apparently - I don't listen to talkback radio, honest. I just over-heard some workmates, honest!

The Fevola incident is one of the biggest stories in Australian sport right now, it's actually the only story from this years series that has got any kind of mention over here.

The pitch invasion story hasn't even made it on to the telly , it's just some column writers trying to stir up some interest in a series which 95% of AFL fans could care less about by claiming that their players are at some kind of risk from OMG!! "terror attacks".

After the foiled plot to supposedly kill the Australian and English cricket teams in england last year, the James Hird death threats last time the aussie team toured and the Irish uproar over the Chris Johnson incident last year... you can understand why Brendan Gale is concerned about the pitch invasions..... after all, it's his job to make sure the players best interests are seen to.

All it takes is one bad egg to have a Monica Seles type incident..... and there is no other professional sport i can think of where fans are allowed to swamp the players like that.

From an Irish point of view, i can understand why they see nothing wrong with this as it's part of the GAA tradition for the winning fans to rush the field and celebrate with there heroes... much like is was part of aussie rules tradition to do the same thing for well over 100 years before the changes in the late 90's.

It's a tricky one...

Don't know the names of the players but one of our boys (the one who copped the knee to the head) said the other day he is going to physically hurt (or something to that extent) one of their boys (the one who offered the knee to the head). Hope he walks the walk, the firey IR matches are the only ones worth watching.

hope he does too, wonder if that's Gerraghty he's talking about, probably is. Anyway would be good for us cause he won't get away with it, will get a red card and we'll get 6 points from the penalty. Happy days all round.

Well since your coverage doesn't seem to have been the best for this series I doubt you'll have heard much about the women's series. I only came across it by fluke on Tuesday for the first test which was a ridiculously one sided affair, Ireland winning 130-15 in Cavan. Apparently there's no tackle though, which seems bizarre for an International Rules series, the Irish even offered to use the oval ball ahead of tonight's test to even things up. I haven't been watching the whole of tonight's second test so I missed the main action of the evening, tuned in to see Ireland only 19-13 ahead in the 3rd quarter but at the end of the quarter the presenter legged it on to the pitch to see what the story was? Apparently Ireland brought on a player when we had someone sinbinned so we had an illegible player on the pitch and thus had all our points taken off us. I'll be honest I didn't even know the women played Aussie Rules.

I read the same story during the week

It doesn't surprise me that they got thrashed, from the footage i've seen of women playing aussie rules in perth ,there must be a minimum weight limit of 80kgs.... thems sum big *****es, i dont blame them for banning the tackle, i wouldn't want one of them girls sitting on me.

Latest posts