• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International Rules Football (Compromise Rules Football)

What is it with letting these tramps butcher national anthems at all sorts of international matches, yet again today at Croker that ***** butchered the Australian and Irish anthem, christ almighty just let the crowd sing it they do a far better job then these bints they get to lead it now. Right rant over, on with the game. Cmon Ireland.

This is truly pathetic stuff, yellow cards all over the place, I know it was a tame affair last week but this is just taking it to the extreme. It's a joke.

I think the less said about that Irish performance in the first half at least the better, purely dreadful stuff, in contrast to that the Australians were superb, their support running was superb, their pace was so superiour to the Irish. I'll admit I stopped watching at half time to watch the England New Zealand match but given the score it looks like it was much of the same for the rest of it. Congrats to Australia, hopefully you've given us a lesson for next year, where we'll pick some players with pace.

Play was stopped for several minutes in the opening term while Graham Geraghty - Ireland's danger man - was stretchered off after he was tackled by Australia's Danyle Pearce and hit his head on the ground as he was brought down.

The incident, which left Geraghty in hospital, was sure to infuriate Irish team officials after the Australians had said during the week he would be targeted.

_/

Got to admit I didn't actually expect that to be followed through.

Play was stopped for several minutes in the opening term while Graham Geraghty - Ireland's danger man - was stretchered off after he was tackled by Australia's Danyle Pearce and hit his head on the ground as he was brought down.

The incident, which left Geraghty in hospital, was sure to infuriate Irish team officials after the Australians had said during the week he would be targeted.

_/

Got to admit I didn't actually expect that to be followed through.
[/b]

It wasn't

It was a great (and fair!) tackle

Danyle Pearce is the one of the fairest players i've ever seen.... the kid doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

He's a 18yo ,about 5ft 8 and 70 odd kg's 1st year player.... he's one of the smallest players in the AFL.

For Sean Boylan to even suggest that Danyle targeted Geraghty is the biggest load CRAP i've ever heard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Once again, a brilliant display of skill and power by the Aussies has been overshadowed by the biggest case of sour grapes i have seen after any sporting event......EVER!

Sean Boylan should be shot with a ball of his own shite for the way he carried on in the post match interviews and press conference........ that goes for McGeeney aswell.

I really enjoy the IR series but i'm ready to be done with it after this. To have our players integrity questioned by these f@#king clowns is just damn right insulting.

This is by no way a reflection of Ireland or it's people who (for the most part) i imagine are embarrassed by the comments of Boylan,McGeeney and the GAA president.

Instead of me going off on a huge rant about the hypocrisy of Boylan's delusional comments, i'll just post Kevin Sheedy's press conference which sums up the situation best....

Australian coach Kevin Sheedy says he has no doubt that Ireland started the aggression towards the visitors in both the first and second Tests of the 2006International Rules series.

Sheedy was hounded by questions from the Irish media - in relation to the first quarter scraps in the second Test - during his post-match conference, after Australia won the series by 30 points and the second test by 38 points at Croke Park on Sunday.

"So you never went to Galway last week and you don't think that Ireland was the aggressors - I think Ireland was the aggressors last week and this week," Sheedy said.

"I think if you actually have a look at the game in the first quarter - minute by minute - and what players were hurt and how they were hurt - I'm pretty sure you'll see some of the Australian players hurt badly and head-butted and obviously kneed in the back on a couple of occasions."

"The tape will tell you the truth and both teams are at fault - by the way in the first quarter - but my suggestion before we ever play is to have a dinner before we play. Set down the rules of the tournament - that's my only suggestion."

Sheedy said 2006 Jim Stynes Medallist Ryan O'Keefe was head-butted during the match, while Matthew Lappin and Campbell Brown both got kneed in 'obviously another accident' from the Irish.

And when asked about O'Keefe being head-butted, Sheedy was straight down the line to the Irish media.

"Did it come up on the screen? Yes or no, because I tell you what, you won't see it - because you get blinded by your passion," Sheedy said.
"Ask him (Ireland coach Sean Boylan) why our player was head-butted, why Lappin was deliberately kneed in the back and the same with Brown - ask him those questions."

Sheedy said the Irish felt aggrieved simply because they was beaten, while he also had a dig at Boylan, when the Ireland manager approached him and called for the match to be called off after the first quarter.

"I couldn't understand him and he walked past me and up and down the ground and I was told I wasn't allowed to move into their area and he was not allowed to move into my area, so I wasn't sure what was going on," Sheedy said.

"My job was to try and find out what was going on in the ground. I don't know Sean Boylan at all. All I know is that he smiles when he wins and he's grumpy when he loses - like most people."

Sheedy said the future of the series was raised again simply because Australia won.

"Every time Australia wins - the series is coming to the end," Sheedy said. "(You're) unbelievable. You're (the Irish) the greatest con men I've ever met."

"If we played the game next week, you'll get 88,000 and except for the first quarter when there would probably be six or seven incidents - and one was an unfortunate one where our recruit of the year (Danyle Pearce) … put a tackle on (Graham) Geraghty - except for that - I don't know whether you'd be upset."

"I thought it was a great tackle … and you tackle a tough player like Geraghty and he's an excellent player and I nearly said last week that Geraghty is the player that I'd love to play for Essendon - and that's my own club team."

"If you're going to be upset and annoyed - try to make sure there is a lot of truth in your annoyance - that's all - otherwise you could embarrass yourself about the way after you see the game - that's all."

Sheedy said the concussion sustained by Geraghty was simply an unfortunate accident.

"Unfortunately the incident with (Graham) Geraghty, which was a tackle by one of our smaller players, Pearce, unfortunately his head hit the ground and if a player's head hits the ground - and it's happened to me in an accident three months ago - you get knocked out," Sheedy said. [/b]

And here's some of the intelligent posts by Irish guys on the www.gaaboard.com....

post by - An Gaeilgoir

Last year the Aussies fought us and beat us. We whinged that they were over physical and things had to change.The first game in Galway was more or less a game of basketball and some said that this game needs a bit of bite in the second test. Today the game had bite for the first 10 minutes, Ireland were equally as guilty as the Aussies in that respect. Shane Ryan late tackle, A head butt or two thrown in as well. Then for the rest of the game the Aussies played football and spanked us with the traits of our game, i.e high ball into the forwards, kicking some super long range overs and closing down the defenders coming out with the ball. I counted three tackles in the whole game that the irish team managed to knock the Aussie to the ground.By the way Graham Geraghtys tackle was totally legal. Bergin had the chance to pass the ball to Coulter for an Irish goal at a key time of the game but he went on his own.Was that Irish team the best that we could have put out, Definatly not. Lets stop the complaining and maybe examine how the australians can take up a game and in a few weeks spank the best that this country has to offer. Its time all the GAA people in the country looked at gaelic football and amend the game to bring back some of the traditional skills of this great game. Its time to end the handball type game that gaelic football has become and make it a kick and catch game again. Well done Australia, lets take our beatings like real men[/b]

Injury to Graham Geraghty was unfortunate but to say that serious injuries never happen in GAA/Hurling and only happen in Compromise Rules is totally ludicrous...it was a legitimate tackle with a hard landing and it was unfortunate the position he landed in....

There were numerous incidents of Irish players punching, kicking etc and seemingly was a blatant headbut also...as O'Rourke said the 2 worst things done were by Irish players...

Look how many times this summer there have been incidents in club/county games of players being hurt badly etc....

Why don't we look at the fact that the Aussies totally dominated every skillful aspect of the game, catching, kicking, scoring goals etc....it was embarassing to watch guys who have been playing GAA for 15-20 years not able to kick a ball accurately....as O'Rourke said the GAA now has led to a total reduction in the kicking ability of players which is disgraceful....[/b]

post by - DUBSFORSAM

I wouldn't have us lie down at all....in fact I would say you hit back hard but even you must admit there is a difference between punching and kicking etc....what really ****** me off is the whinging attitude that comes just cause we got beaten up and couldn't take it....

Everyone goes on about how hard our guys train, how fit they are, how strong they are etc....and yet put them up against a fairly small team by Aussie Rules standards and they got thrown like rag dolls, beaten for pace and stamina most of the time....and whats even more embarrassing is that they were beaten skill wise so badly its embarassing....

If you watch Aussie Rules you will see the tackle that took place on GG takes place a lot where players get crashed into the ground...

I saw Ryan go in with the boot and would have got a good ban in GAA for that, I saw O'Keefe with his nose blooded up and nothing done, I saw Voss get punched and nothing done, I saw McDonnell punch and nothing done..........so yes the Aussies fought and the Irish fought but I think we should be more worried about how much better hand passers, kick passers, goal scorers, points scorers they were.......and the more whinging about the phsyical aspect that is done the less worrying about the total lack of footballing ability is done.... [/b]

I have no sympathy for Geraghty, it was a perfectly legal tackle but I was delighted to see him getting his just deserts, he's always been a mouthy, thug of a footballer and a prima donna to boot. No time for him and he shouldn't have even been in the squad.

As for the crap at the start I thought it was pathetic, it's only those at the ground who really know who started it. I do find it a bit strange that Australia are trying to take the high moral ground though, it was a free for all both sides are to blame and it was enfuriating to watch cause the camera men weren't even worth a ****, they caught nothing for the live feed, I don't care if it was 2pm show what's going on you gimp.

Boylan has to go though, talk about a child throwing his toys out of the pram. Awful, but he will be there next year as the managers usually get 2 years, so another hiding in Oz next year and don't be telling me it won't take place, the **** can hit the fan all it likes but when 112000 people attend the 2 matches there's no chance of the series being cancelled, wouldn't be surprised to see the MCG sold out next year.

The skill levels have gone to the dogs in gaelic football, the standards have gone way down imo and unless they pick the really top players for this series we're going to be on the end of hidings like yesterdays and last years for the forseable future.

I saw a couple of the international rules games as well as the all Ireland final.

It was quite an experience, a Celtic Ashes one would suggest? ;)

It would be better if this was held every 18 months rather than every year because I could imagine this has crippled the poor GAA!!! I bet they'll be very happy to accept the Euros of every Irish rugby fan when Croke Park opens to Rugby next Six Nations :(

Every 18 months would be ridiculous, it would impact on the league schedule so it would be a non starter. I'm not quite sure if I'm getting where you're coming from on this but do you think this series is a loss maker for the GAA?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Wikipedia")</div>
In 2006, following the Under 19 series, the GAA raised the possibility of making it a biennial event to reduce cost of travel.[/b]

If you make it 18 months then you will catch the series in the same season (i.e. autumn/winter) in both Hemispheres.

Thats why the Ashes is held every 18 months. From June to September in England and November to January in Australia. Because remember, Summer is during our winter and our summer is during their winter! If that makes sense..

If it blatantly clashes with league schedules however then there isn't much you can do about it.

well I don't think that should happen as up and coming footballers should get the chance to represent their countries and have the experience when it comes to the senior internationals.

In the overall scheme of things the IR series overall has to be a money maker, 130000 ticket sales this year, a similar number also for the last 2 series in Ireland, there was 72000 in the pissings of rain and a howling gale for the second test in 2002.

What do you think about the GAA maybe using some of these profits to insure players against the loss of any income due to injury (like say Geraghty).

Do you think that would be a good idea?, or would it be pointless seeing as though the same benefit wouldn't apply to the rest of the Gaelic players during their regular season?.(hmm maybe i just answered my own question <_< )

With all the profit being made from this series ,i've been thinking if there isn't any way some of this money could find it's way to the players without corrupting any of the values that Gaelic footy stands for.

BTW, doesn't Pearce only hold 30,000?.... either way, 112-113,000 is massive for a two game series.

Last year in OZ there was a combined total of just over 90,000......... i find it funny when the league fans make fun of this game when the biggest crowd they can get to a tri-nations match is 30,000 (in a 85,000 seat stadium :lol: ).

it's the novelty factor that's the big thing in its favour and will see the series remain into the future.

You did answer your own question, rights are improving for GAA players now they have their own Union but still what they've gained in comparison to the financial gains recently for the GAA are still pathetic.

I can see your point but if they were paid it would just open a huge can of worms and you'd have people not playing hurling cause the international compromise with Shinty is nowhere near the level of the IR. Hurling is too good a game to allow something like the IR to have a negative impact on it. So they'd have to bring in pay for play throughout the inter-county scene of the GAA.

Maybe it might be best if the game in Ireland went pro. The extra money would prevent Irish players being poached by AFL sides down under and would at least make sure that the IR series stays as a once a year extravaganza?

Actually the GAA whinging about transport costs is silly. They only travel down under every other year! Its not as bad as say the IRFU who have to do a hell of a lot more galloping around the world than the GAA. Maybe the GAA could ringfence the cash they'll make out of hosting Rugby internationals at Croke Park towards paying for decent flights down under? :)

There's hardly an epidemic of Irish players leaving here for the AFL, think there's 4 or 5 Irish at Australian sides, that's about it.

I know but still, surely the more money injected into the game the better.

Would you not see a situation where the professional AFL starts to slowly pull away in terms of resources and talent from the GAA?

Edit: just watching highlights of the series before last...the Channel 9 Australia commentators are certified insane.

Yeah we don't get the Australian commentary unfortunately, has to be better than what RTÉ has to offer.

I don't think so, the game here has reduced in quality because of the northern influence which has turned the game into a swarm defence with short handpassing all the time, the skills of kicking have dropped something shocking. The amount of times you see GAA players miss 14m frees is appalling.

Professionalism would destroy the GAA, there's no multi billion euro tv contract to be had with Sky, so there'd be no way the GAA could pay the players without going massively into debt

Latest posts