• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International sports highlights of 2006

B

BokMagic

OK, this is straight off the cuff, possibly missed a few worthy mentions, but here are some of my sporting highlights of 2006, might just end up as a poll, what do you guys think?

My nominations:
Football
- Italy winning the World Cup for the 4th time
- Zizou finally moving out of Cantona`s shadow with his well-timed World Cup Final header, single-handedly erasing any memories of Kung-Fu Cantona.

Motorsport
- Awesome F1 season, ***le race between Schumi and Alonso going down to the wire
- Schumi`s retirement- thanks for the memories, a legend of note, whether you loved or hated him.
- Andy Hayden`s MotoGP ***le victory vs Rossi- another great ***le race going down to the wire.

Golf
- Europe kicking some Yankee butt, again, in the Ryder Cup
- Tiger`s phenomenal Open victory, with all the emotion going with it

Tennis
- Roger Federer winning his 3rd successive Wimbledon and US Open ***les, also throwing in the Aussie open and the French Open final in the process.
- Maria Sharapova winning at Wimbledon- in fact, Maria Sharapova in tennis kit, full stop!

Rugby
- AB`s winning 7th Tri-Nations ***le
- France scooping the Six Nations
- Ireland`s back-to-back victories over the SH superpowers, SA and Aus
- Rustenburg, SA vs NZ- some Saffa indulgence!

Cricket
- Mohammad Yousuf`s 2006 form- breaking Viv Richards` calendar-year record
- Aus taking the ICC Champion`s trophy
- Shane Warne getting to 700 Test wickets? Possible during this year still- there`s Perth and the Boxing Day test

Cycling
- Yet ANOTHER farking drugs scandal hits the Tour de France- no real moments there then.

Baseball, basketball, Gridiron and Ice-hockey
- American team wins the USA, uhm sorry I mean the World Championship- again.

No real highlights internationally in athletics or boxing that immediately comes to mind. Feel free to add to this list, or make any suggestions- possible poll later on?

Ireland winning the Triple Crown is more meaningful than beating SA and Aus
Munster winning the HEC has to be a highlight as well.

Harrington clinching the Order of Merrit on the final dramatic day at Valderrama.
The finish at the US Open was incredible as was the emotion at the Ryder Cup.

The FA Cup Final was an all time classic, despite the outcome :p

Saying farewell to Lansdowne Rd on New Years Eve should be some occasion as well.

Kilkenny stopping Cork's 3 in a row bid was probably the ultimate highlight though.

West Coast winning the flag :champion:

72053901.jpg

/thread

Reading through my original post, I reckon the greatest moment would have to be- ex-All Black lock Andy Hayden getting on a MotoGP bike and beating Valentino Rossi to the ***le- well done sir!

Actually, that was supposed to be Nicky Haden, sorry about that. Castle Lager and Jack Daniels- not a good combination folks, it makes ex-lock forwards jump straight out of the line-out, not to gain the penalty that never was, but to go biking with the big boys!

Reading through my original post, I reckon the greatest moment would have to be- ex-All Black lock Andy Hayden getting on a MotoGP bike and beating Valentino Rossi to the ***le- well done sir!

Actually, that was supposed to be Nicky Haden, sorry about that. Castle Lager and Jack Daniels- not a good combination folks, it makes ex-lock forwards jump straight out of the line-out, not to gain the penalty that never was, but to go biking with the big boys!
[/b]

I'm not a huge fan of Rossi but i was praying for him to win the ***le this year after the way Hayden spat the dummy in Estoril.

I cant stand that guy.

Actually not really a big fan of either Hayden or Rossi- the latter is a bit too big-mouthed for my liking, also his excursions into F1 testing and World Rally is nothing but publicity stunts IMO.

Actually I`m a Capirossi fan, I really enjoy his style of riding- always on the cutting edge, overtaking where it`s sometimes ridiculous, a bit like Montoya in F1- it brightens up the whole affair.

Ice Hockey Highlights would be

Oilers amazing playoff run only to lose to Carolina
Canada getting eliminated in quarter finals by Russia at the Olympics
Switzerland beating Canada and the Czech Republic at the Olympics
Latvia drawing with the United States
Sweden winning gold after being heavily seen as underdogs at the Olympics

The highlight of Australian sport for 2006 would not be the Socceroos in the Round of 16, but Warney's 700th!! Beautiful, the perfect bowl!!

Well I think we have a highlight for 2007 even though it is only the 1st day. Anyone watching the PDC darts can appreciate how good that final between Phil Taylor and Raymond Barneveld was. Great stuff, Barney 3-0 down, not looking like winning a set but pulls himself back into it and it goes all the way to the final set and the sudden death leg where Barney wins the throw and eventually the match having missed out during the final set. Great stuff and Barney proves himself as a legend of the game by beating Taylor in a world final and equaling the great Bristo's haul of 5 world ***les, mind you still a bit short of the Power but not bad nonetheless.

Latest posts