• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International upsets that ALMOST happened

still shocked that Simon Danielli scored half of all scotlands tries during the world cup in that match... Um not really and upset but I think half us Ireland supporters wouldn't be as confident had stephen jones got that kick in 2009. Italy almost beat us in 2011 I think if it weren't for a ROG drop goal... Scotland almost took wales out in 2010 last five minutes were intense

Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa versus Tonga at the 2007 World Cup. Would go as far as saying its one of my all-time favourite games too. Tonga were just brilliant at that World Cup, a total injustice that England got out of their group ahead of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
England almost winning the Grand Slam...

Seriously the NZ/Ireland second test mentioned above was a cracker. I got up early with, I must admit, hopes of watching the All Blacks in full beast mode only to see something far more entertaining!

USA vs Tonga in 2012

We were 8 points up at the half, and only a breakaway try in the last few minutes prevented it from being within dropgoal range of victory.

All Blacks v Fiji
1974 at Buckhurst Park, Suva. Attendance 24,000 mad, screaming Fijians!!

New Zealand had called in for this match on the way home from Australia where they had just had a successful tour, beating the Wallabies 2-0 with one match drawn.

Fiji led 7-4 at half time (4 point tries in those days), and led 13-4 with full time up on the stadium clock, when Brian Williams scored in the right wing corner. Joe Karam missed the conversion, leaving the score 13 - 8 to Fiji, and glory beckoned; but it wasn't full time.

The referee then proceeded to play 7½ minutes of injury time, and right at the end of that time, Ian Hurst scored under the posts, giving Joe Karam an easy conversion, and the All Blacks won 14-13.

NOTE: Anyone thinking that this was some sub-standard NZ "B" team think again..

1. Bob Barber
2. Tane Norton
3. Billy Bush
4. "Pole" Whiting
5. John Calleson
6. Laurie Knight
7. Kevin "Hayburner" Everleigh
8. Andy Leslie (C)
9. Ian Stevens
10. Doug Bruce
11. Grant Batty
12. Ian Hurst
13. Bruce Robertson
14. Brian "BG" Williams
15. Joe Karam

16. Bruce Gemmell
17. Kerry Tanner

Anyone who knows anything about All Black teams of that time will tell you that this was a bloody strong team. The only significant names missing from that line up were Ian Kirkpatrick and Duncan Robertson.

Here is that dive that won New Zealand the match winning penalty.

diapo59d7134d7d7ad7462d7b433a95a96726.gif

One of the worst cases of cheating in any sport. Pathetic. Its funny how people try and condone it.

Ireland vs Australia 92 WC
SA v Argentina 2012 TRC
Griquas 125 Limpopo Blue Bulls 3

Latest posts