• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Invictus - New Rugby Movie...with matt damon?

Did you see the guy they casted as Jonah Lomu? Looks like the offspring of Lomu and Jerry Collins.

But i think this will be a good film.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 19 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you see the guy they casted as Jonah Lomu? Looks like the offspring of Lomu and Jerry Collins.

But i think this will be a good film.[/b]
IF YOU KNEW THE BACCK GROUND OF MANDELA AND SOUTH AFRICAN RUGBY HISTORY THEN YOU WILL KNOW THE TWO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ONE ANOTHER THE WORLD ***EL WAS WON BY TRUE SOUTH AFRICANS AND MANDELA WAS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.WITH PHONEY ACTORS PLAYING TRUE SOUTH AFRICANS THE MOVIE IS A TOTAL NO NO TO ANY TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN RUGBY FAN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugby scars @ Feb 6 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 19 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IF YOU KNEW THE BACCK GROUND OF MANDELA AND SOUTH AFRICAN RUGBY HISTORY THEN YOU WILL KNOW THE TWO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ONE ANOTHER THE WORLD ***EL WAS WON BY TRUE SOUTH AFRICANS AND MANDELA WAS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.WITH PHONEY ACTORS PLAYING TRUE SOUTH AFRICANS THE MOVIE IS A TOTAL NO NO TO ANY TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN RUGBY FAN
[/b][/quote]
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

However, i did read an interview with the head of the SA RFU at the time of the WC and he said that the film made it seem like a masterplan by Mandella/Pienaar when in reality it just happened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 19 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Bath legend Zak Feau'nati

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugby scars @ Feb 6 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Right...but Im not South African am i?
Ok, so the film looks good?
Good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 6 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugby scars @ Feb 6 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

However, i did read an interview with the head of the SA RFU at the time of the WC and he said that the film made it seem like a masterplan by Mandella/Pienaar when in reality it just happened.
[/b][/quote]

I watched the 1st half of the film on a stream a few weeks ago. Basically, it is quite irritating because it comes across as being really serious and truthful, while subtly Hollywood-ifying the story.

Wikipedia's article points out a few inaccuracies as well that scream 'lack of proper research'. What also irritates me is that I'm pretty sure the real story would have had a lot less English spoken, especially by the rugby players themselves.

All in all, a decent film but one that could have been done a lot better - probably if it was South African made - you get a much better picture of the country from District 9 and Tsotsi.

Oh FFS, an enjoyable film about rugby comes out and now the great unwashed are moaning that it's not boring enough...

No pleasing some people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 7 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh FFS, an enjoyable film about rugby comes out and now the great unwashed are moaning that it's not boring enough...

No pleasing some people.[/b]

I thought it was too boring myself, simply because it was aimed at an American audience and so it spends a lot of time trying to ease them in to a culture and sport they know nothing of.

Again, Invictus = Great idea for a movie. Just let Gavin Hood direct it next time.

You're not gonna make a Hollywood film these days and find a better director than Dirty Harry. Fact.

I watched it earlier today and thought it was a great movie. Good balance of politics, Rugby and general domestic/appartide-based nonsense. Mandella was very well portrayed, and even Matt Damon (Of whom I'm not normaly a fan) was good, and gave Pienaar real character and soul. Their interpratation of Johnah Lomu was pretty funny, too. My only real gripe was that the Rugby was portrayed to be too simular to American Football and the camera angles tended to shake a lot duirng games.

Got great reviews in the papers, saying it's one of the best sports movies of all time.

My favourite is Cobb - biopic of a vicious baseball star, played by Tommy Lee Jones. And Tin Cup for the feel good + that classy actress.

My favourite is Rudy!
Sean Astin playing as an underdog american footballer trying to get just one game with Notre Dame Uni. It brings a tear to your eye.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Feb 7 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You're not gonna make a Hollywood film these days and find a <strike>better</strike> cheaper director than Dirty Harry. Fact.[/b]
Fixed. Studios love Eastwood because he bangs out their films on-budget and on-time in the same way that Peter Jackson doesn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 7 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

No pleasing some people.[/b]
Nah, it was plenty boring. Best scene, sadly, was probably Morgan Freeman reading the "Invictus" poem in his best Morgan Freeman voice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 6 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you get a much better picture of the country from District 9 and Tsotsi.[/b]

What? Rubbish. Thanks to these two movies, the whole world thinks Johannesburg is a giant squatter camp. Everybody asks me how i live in a place with no trees, and all the dust, and all the poverty and bla bla bla. Johannesburg happens to be the greenest city in the world. >_>

People also keep asking me if we import white people just for our rugby teams, because everyone is black. grrrrrr!

It's almost as bad as those retards overseas that keep asking me if i ride elephants to work, or if there are frequent Lion attacks. FFS.

Latest posts