• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB announces global trial of ELVs

Could the reason that the rolling mauls and hands in the ruck were allowed in the NH version of the rules be because the NH unions actually asked for it to be reinstated into the laws?

* Players who are on their feet can play the ball with their hands
IRB [/b]

This is THE most significant rule of all these ELV's and the one which will have the most impact.

Could the reason that the rolling mauls and hands in the ruck were allowed in the NH version of the rules be because the NH unions actually asked for it to be reinstated into the laws? [/b]

Probably not because that rule specifically has caused allot of concern in the NH. There is no evidence to suggest that any NH Union wanted that rule to be instated. The only Union I could think of would be Italy and they're clinically insane.

Probably not because that rule specifically has caused allot of concern in the NH. There is no evidence to suggest that any NH Union wanted that rule to be instated. The only Union I could think of would be Italy and they're clinically insane.
[/b]
Then why else would it possibly be put in place after we rubbished it after the ARC?

After all the tough talk from you guys up North why would you cave on a law that was not even in the Super 14 plus was the main point in not attempting to trial the laws?

We can't point fingers till we know, but we have to assume it was voted for by more than one nation. This is going to be an issue over the next 12mths and make no mistake about that.

Saw Steve Tew on the TV saying that the NZRFU were against the pulling down the mauls, although they also had interviews with those in the lower league trials from last year who said there weren't any serious side affects.

Just wanna make I'm sure on the same page

Did the iRB put down all the ELVs on the table and let the NH Unions choose which ones they want (it's starting to sound that way) or did the iRB dump all the laws that were used in the ARC on their laps?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Then why else would it possibly be put in place after we rubbished it after the ARC?

After all the tough talk from you guys up North why would you cave on a law that was not even in the Super 14 plus was the main point in not attempting to trial the laws? [/b][/quote]

Just wanna make I'm sure on the same page
Did the iRB put down all the ELVs on the table and let the NH Unions choose which ones they want (it's starting to sound that way) or did the iRB dump all the laws that were used in the ARC on their laps?
[/b]

To make it clear, the iRB put all the ELVs on the table. However, it did not go down to a vote and there was no cherry picking of laws according to the DT anyway. Despite the spin by Lapasset, there was some very tough talking by the members both for and against the rules.

In the end, the agreement was reached by consensus because no absolute vote could have carried either the ayes or nays. Thus, a fudge was constructed which essentially satisfies nobody.

To clear up the confusion:

<div align="center">
srmick102.gif

As to why the "pull down the maul" rule was agreed to be trialled, I have no idea but I do know that the NH Unions were as against it as the SH Unions are. The RFU at least, backed by the 12 Guinness Premiership clubs had severe doubts on that particular rule.

One can only conclude therefore that this particular rule was pushed in by the iRB themselves as part of the deal agreeing to drop the most high profile of the ELVs or limit them to single competitons. Like I said, xtreme fudge.
</div>

The only two rules i agree with is no passing back into the 22 and the line out rules (passing backwards, numbers), everything else will just ruin rugby, handling in the ruck is going to mean nearly every ruck there could be a turn over, As O'rothlain said from day one you are taught not to drop a maul as it causes injuries, so with the dropping of a maul..will there be any point in having mauls anymore? if the minitue you form one it can be dropped. i agree with making the game more flowing and open but this is going to change rugby completly. For in my opinion the worst. why change rugby so much? it's fine.

By the way Prestwick, what position do you play and how will these changes affect you? I'm very curious to see whether you are tight-five or back row, perhaps even a back?

By the way Prestwick, what position do you play and how will these changes affect you? I'm very curious to see whether you are tight-five or back row, perhaps even a back?
[/b]
Or waterboy? :D

If was wasn't a lazy lump, I'd be a loosehead prop. As its a concept virtually unknown in Australia, I'm the fat guy at the front row of that huddle known as a "scrum" who just pushses a bit and mumbles at the scrum-half to hurry up so I can wander back to the clubhouse at half time to drink and eat.

My main fears would be what would happen if I were in the middle of a maul when it was pulled down and how much more exericise I'd need to do to have the stamina to keep up with the constant stream of scrums and penalties! I'm sure professional chaps up there in the GP and the 1st Division will be able to keep up but I am telling you, I'm going to be knackered if I play a game with some of these ELVs and so would allot of my other overweight friends!

Hopefully the IRB have the good sense to try the pulling down the mauls and hand in the ruck rules in a smaller competition so they can scrap them for the games that actually matter, eg. the Premiership + HC etc....like we did with the ARC movign into the Super 14, really atrocious rules they are.

But...but...surely then as a Stormers fan you'd have a happy face on there, Chavanga.

Generally Im in favour of the new ELV`s. At least they havent implemented any changes to the breakdown (free-kicks etc). My main concern is the driven line outs and rolling maul which are now nullified. How can this be? As a guy who has played all his rugby in the Gloucester area this is a travesty.The only advantage we ever had against the posh boys from London and the Bath area was the fact that we were well drilled and strong up front. If this rule becomes permenant we might as well jack it all in and play league. The real beauty of union is it is a game for all sizes and a game of depth and substance. Lets celebrate that fact rather than make all players and teams one dimensional.

hehe the fatty loosehead prop who can't wait fo half...hey wait a minute :%#%#: :p

The rolling maul, when done correctly is absolutely beautiful. The most recent example I can think of was when Scotland pulled off the perfect storm of a rolling maul and rolled France back about 30 odd meters to the try line. The best part of it was how controlled it was, how they didn't fall foul of running into their own man, truck & trailering, etc.

Simply superb, sadly I doubt we'll see anything like that again...

EDIT: That made absolutely no sense pare...

The best rolling mauls I have seen were the NZ team of '88-89 and.....

ENGLAND vs Australia 2003 in Aussie.....50 metre maul to the tryline by that unforgettably formidable English pack!!!!!!!!

Hands in the ruck is out, as far as I can see.

Ian McGeechan is saying the effect of the lineout and maul rule changes will be fewer fat lads (Prestwick) having to contest possession, so most of them will be spread out across the field smothering back moves with their clammy armpits. Nice.

But there is a quid pro quo - the scrum is still tolerated, with the forwards spanked in to formation, and ten extra meters of attacking space are given to the backs. I suppose in time they'll punish the knock on with a free kick and cut out scrums on the sly.

Latest posts