IRB clamps down on player backchat

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by woosaah, Oct 30, 2006.

1. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3844667a1823,00.html

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. nez

nez Guest

well i for one think this is a good initiative, its annoying on so many levels to see a halfback called back time after time trying to take a quick tap because the ref is too busy arguing with the opposition.

4. melon

melon Guest

On one hand its f***ing stupid. On the other, its a great idea. I can't decide, but im leaning towards it being a great idea.

5. BigTen

BigTen Guest

As long as the ref's decisions are clear and he communicates it well why a penalty has been given there should be no problems.

It is one aspect that rugby has over football - the players don't pressure the ref to the same degree.

6. Already been in practice in Scotland for a couple seasons now. I was sin binned for questioning a referees decision, and last season our number 8 got a 6 week ban for calling the referee a stupid twat.

7. Rugby_Cymru

Rugby_Cymru Guest

I'm really liking that idea.
    This will hopefully allow the game to move that bit quicker.

8. In case you dont know, backchatting is classified as dissent and is actually a penalised offence, it is written on the IRB law book...(just got my cert!) the hand signal for this offence is "hand making mouth chatting gestures" I dont know why this just came in the news... i have penalised a few back chatting, i just hate it when i ref and players do that...

9. fcukernaut

fcukernaut Guest

Yes it has been in the law book as back chat, but it's also been an accepted custom for the captain to talk to the referee. This is just cracking down on that until an appropriate time like an injury etc.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!