• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Nations Cup

dragos03

First XV
Country Flag
Romania
Club or Nation
Romania
The tournament starts tomorrow in Bucharest. Here is a list of the matches that will be played (all times are Bucharest local time):

Friday 10 June
17:00 Romania v Namibia
19:00 Georgia v South African Kings
21:00 Argentina Jaguars v Portugal

Wednesday 15 June
17:00 Georgia v Argentina Jaguars
19:00 Romania v SA Kings
21:00 Portugal v Namibia

Sunday 19 June
17:00 Portugal v SA Kings
19:00 Georgia v Namibia
21:00 Romania v Argentina Jaguars

Namibia were the winners of last year's tournament, a surprising result. The games will be on TV live on GSP TV (Romanian channel) and Eurosport 2, possibly on others channels as well.

Thanks for the info Dragos I've been looking to seeing these teams in action particularly the three that are going to the RWC.

Do you think there is a favourite? Georgia is always strong but if Romania can field their best team they could be up there. I know Canada has played the Jaguars and usually they are a solid unit. I haven't seen the lineup for the SA Kings.

It's hard to name a favourite. Namibia won last year against all predictions, so they might do it again. Last year, I thought Scotland A would win the trophy, while Namibia would get the spoon, and it was exactly the opposite :)

Romania and Georgia are not playing with the full squads, but will both field decent lineups close enough to the RWC outfit, any of them can win the trophy. SA Kings are unknown to me, but they did beat Bulls this year so I think they are pretty strong, maybe even favourites. Here is their team for the competition:

Full Name DOB (AGE) CM KG CLUB Position
Jaco Engels 17/12/1980(30) 185 122 Harlequins, EPRU Prop
Clint Newland 26/03/1980(31) 196 130 Glen Roses Prop
Phumlani Nodikida 182 108 African Bombers Prop
André Schlechter 13/10/1986(24) 188 124 St Marks Prop
Hannes Franklin 06/10/1981(29) 181 110 Suburbans Hooker
Frank Herne 31/10/1989(21) 178 99 Progress Hooker
Ross Kennedy 25/09/1982(28) 198 116 Harlequins, EPRU Lock
Barend Pieterse 23/01/1979(32) 196 108 Suburbans Lock
Wayne van Heerden 29/03/1979(32) 197 110 Progress Lock
Jacques Engelbrecht 10/06/1985(25) 193 110 Kruisfontein Flanker
Mpho Mbiyozo 07/02/1983(28) 182 96 Springrose Flanker
Devin Oosthuizen 28/05/1988(23) 193 108 Gardens Flanker
Jacques Potgieter 24/04/1986(25) 194 115 Crusaders Flanker
Luke Watson 26/10/1983(27) 184 97 Crusaders Flanker
Boela Abrahams 169 67 Progress Scrumhalf
Danie Faasen 11/11/1989(21) 176 78 Harlequins, EPRU Scrumhalf
Louis Strydom 21/10/1980(30) 177 82 Crusaders Flyhalf
Jaco Bekker 17/05/1983(28) 183 94 Park Centre
Wayne Stevens 17/05/1988(23) 185 86 Gardens Centre
Siyanda Grey 16/08/1989(21) 176 87 African Bombers Wing
Marcello Sampson 27/03/1987(24) 183 81 Park Wing
SP Marais 16/03/1989(22) 185 85 Kruisfontein Fullback
Mzwandile Stick 05/10/1984(26) 181 87 Springrose Fullback
Shane Gates 27/09/1992(18) Despatch Unknown
Jonathan McBean 08/03/1983(28) Unknown
Darron Nell 03/08/1990(20) 191 108 Crusaders Unknown

Early minutes, but the Romania vs. Namibia game hasn't been that bad, not at all, so far.
Some really sharp, quick passing, both teams have been fairly accurate so far :)

** Shudders because on this basis Romania will wipe the floor with us at the RWC :( **

but what is sa kings??? is it SA-A? i googled but did'nt find anything... just some info about southern kings... is it connected?

First day results:

Romania - Namibia 13-11
SA Kings - Georgia 31-17
Portugal - Argentina Jaguars 25-21

And yes, SA Kings and Southern Kings are the same thing. They are a team that almost got into the Super 15 this year and from what I've seen today, they are quite strong.

As you have noticed, several key players are missing for various reasons. But otherwise, the teams are close to full strength.

As you have noticed, several key players are missing for various reasons. But otherwise, the teams are close to full strength.

Prying a little here, but by any chance can you reveal to me these reasons for players not participating? Is it mainly injuries, fatigue, not wanting etc...?

but what is sa kings??? is it SA-A? i googled but did'nt find anything... just some info about southern kings... is it connected?

They're the Southern Kings, a South African regional club representing the Eastern Cape province. According to Wikipedia, they were formed in 2009 in time to coincide with the 2009 British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. On November 12, 2009, SANZAR arbitrators rejected their bid to join Super Rugby, awarding the 15th licence to the Melbourne Rebels.

Also, on 11 November 2010, SARU confirmed that matches have been organised for the Southern Kings for 2011. They would play five matches against each of the other South African Super Rugby franchises, two matches against English Aviva Premiership side Saracens and a Kings XV will also take part in an international invitational tournament to be confirmed.

Well, this tournament, it turned out, is the IRB Nations Cup. So yeah, you are right; they are connected.

Prying a little here, but by any chance can you reveal to me these reasons for players not participating? Is it mainly injuries, fatigue, not wanting etc...?

In Romania's case, it's a mix of reasons. Some players (like former skipper Sorin Socol or Alex Manta) are on bad terms with the current coach. Others (like Bogdan Balan) were not called in an attempt to try some younger players during the Nations Cup. As far as I know, Ovidiu Tonita and Paulica Ion from London Irish have been called, not sure why they haven't played (or if they even came to the tournament).

Georgia is also trying to test some new players and apparently some of the missing ones have not been released by their clubs. I don't know why Jacques Burger isn't playing for Namibia.

In Romania's case, it's a mix of reasons. Some players (like former skipper Sorin Socol or Alex Manta) are on bad terms with the current coach. Others (like Bogdan Balan) were not called in an attempt to try some younger players during the Nations Cup. As far as I know, Ovidiu Tonita and Paulica Ion from London Irish have been called, not sure why they haven't played (or if they even came to the tournament).

Georgia is also trying to test some new players and apparently some of the missing ones have not been released by their clubs. I don't know why Jacques Burger isn't playing for Namibia.

Thanks, its a pity about the first few players mentioned

Second day results:

Georgia - Argentina Jaguars 14-13
SA Kings - Romania 27-23
Namibia - Portugal 29-23

All three games were excellent in my opinion, close and fought until the last minute. A lot of mistakes in the Georgia-Jaguars game though.

Last edited:
I've never seen Romania so motivated in the end of the game, it's amazing how they found the energy to try and make a comeback when everything seemed over. If they use this energy in the world cup they'll walk away proud, I'm sure.

Thanks for the posts, Dragos.

I agree, even if we lost, Romania played much better than against Namibia. They were very motivated indeed, I heard them talking near the edge of the field when SA kings were 10 up and all of them were saying "we need to win this". It was also nice to see that the replacements played with skill and heart as well, with the youngest player on the bench (Lemnaru) almost scoring a superb try in the last minute.

That is what I expect from them at the RWC, we have no chance to beat a team like England, but we can play open rugby and hopefully manage something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCmGMsYQ8U4

I agree, even if we lost, Romania played much better than against Namibia. They were very motivated indeed, I heard them talking near the edge of the field when SA kings were 10 up and all of them were saying "we need to win this". It was also nice to see that the replacements played with skill and heart as well, with the youngest player on the bench (Lemnaru) almost scoring a superb try in the last minute.

That is what I expect from them at the RWC, we have no chance to beat a team like England, but we can play open rugby and hopefully manage something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCmGMsYQ8U4

I believe that both Romania and Georgia can cause an upset against Scotland during the World Cup. Not saying they'll reach the quarter finals, but there's a very small chance (and hoping here).

I believe that both Romania and Georgia can cause an upset against Scotland during the World Cup. Not saying they'll reach the quarter finals, but there's a very small chance (and hoping here).

I can't see Romania but Georgia is a potential banana skin. The element of surprise isn't there anymore regarding Georgia so the Scots should win that match.

I can't see Romania but Georgia is a potential banana skin. The element of surprise isn't there anymore regarding Georgia so the Scots should win that match.

Totally agree. Scotland won't treat anyone lightly since they'll most likely need the bonus points to qualify.

Final games today:
17.00 - SA Kings vs Portugal
19.00 - Georgia vs Namibia
21.00 - Romania vs Argentina Jaguars

Last day results and a few personal comments:
SA Kings - Portugal 39-12
Kings were too strong for Portugal and they won the trophy with 3 victories. They have a few world-class players, especially winger Syianda Grey. As for Portugal, I think they had a good tournament and they played openly against superior opposition.

Georgia - Namibia 23-18
A very nice game, with Namibia outplaying the Georgians for most of the match. The Georgian forwards totally dominated their opponents however. Namibia's weakest point is the flyhalf, who missed like 5-6 easy penalties and costed them the win. As for Georgia, they seem to make too many mistakes.

Argentina Jaguars - Romania 37-13
Horrible game by Romania, who fielded an experimental team against what they expected to be the easiest opponent. Romania will need to be able to field the best team at the RWC in order to achieve anything at all, as there is a huge difference between the normal starters and their replacements. As for the Jaguars, captain Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias is really a player to watch. Not only he converted everything, he found excellent lineouts at all times and I think at least 2 of the Jaguars tries came from magnificent kicked passes coming from his foot.

Latest posts