• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the year 2012

^ no but dude, one can't look at reality that way - to jump from one extreme to the other and consider absolutely all criticism to be conspiracy theory oriented and to be malicious in nature.
I'd have said the same thing about the Joubert would this have been a regular test match. I mean, I don't think that Tuilagi try was a try a few weeks ago against Australia and it wasn't the RWC semi-final or anything.

Welsh have the right to "*****", you don't see any french people getting aggressive or anything, even the players themselves looked like "WOW !! That was close/we got lucky" at the camera just when the game ended.

There IS abuse from the ref or there ISN'T. It's fact, that can be reviewed and discussed and drawn solid conclusions from. The ref ether DID fk up the match (intentionally or not, that's another question) or it's just disgruntled stupid fans making excuses - but there is a great line that separates the two, fact and fantasy...like day and night or the news and sci-fi books.

I've heard about the Barnes '07 criticism, but the reffing just wasn't like THIS.
I encourage everyone to watch the '11 final match again; at the time I didn't even see anything I was so into it - but then ppl started talking and I was like "nahhhhhhh...." and then I checked it out and well, just see it for yourself. I'm nothing, I'm just a guy posting on some forum. Watch reality, fact.

I enjoy your posts Yoe. They remind me what an articulate, intelligent guy I am.

there's a lot of bull happening here, let's just be clear about certain things: that final was obviously suspect, everybody in the rugby world knows it, only NZ'ers have a problem with that notion. I mean in all sports, in every close match, especially if it's a SF or a final, you' ll hear this argument til the end of time and it may continue in the Heavens and Hell even, but here I'm talking OBVIOUS OBVIOUS no-calls....Crystal clear, so far...hmm ?
"Blind criticism" ?...that's the best argument you can come up with ?!....

Rhyer : yeah we sucked big time to have lost to Tonga, and I repeat: THANK YOU CANADA !! - but that's that, we then made it to the final and played an unbelievable game; wtvr happened before is the past, it's unrelated to an isolated reality like a final. I mean, with that logic, next time we win a 6N Grand Slam someone will yell "yeah but you lost to Tonga in 2011 !!" ^_^

And thx Superalexmarket for posting that vid, I saw a similar analysis from SH commentators - but this thread is the IRB Player of the Year thread and let's not get into this randomly...

Bit ironic is it not?

there's a lot of bull happening here, let's just be clear about certain things: that final was obviously suspect, everybody in the rugby world knows it, only NZ'ers have a problem with that notion. I mean in all sports, in every close match, especially if it's a SF or a final, you' ll hear this argument til the end of time and it may continue in the Heavens and Hell even, but here I'm talking OBVIOUS OBVIOUS no-calls....Crystal clear, so far...hmm ?
"Blind criticism" ?...that's the best argument you can come up with ?!....

No New Zealander has really made any comment. But yes you are right. The final was suspect. Rougerie should have been red carded for an eye gouge on McCaw early on and the French should have been playing with 14 men. I guess the French were lucky to lose by the amount they did - considering they were the worst team to ever appear in a Rugby World Cup final. I guess it's hard to face the reality that you lost - with New Zealand's crappiest 1st 5/8th in recent memory (4th choice mind you) winning.

As for the double standard reffing. Barnes was much, much worse. The reason why France lost was their own fault. They kicked 33% at goal (they could have won it had they kicked a penalty in the second half). France conceded 13 penalties to New Zealand's 7. They had better stats but lacked the composure to win - something New Zealand had. Compare that to 2007 in which there was a dodgy yellow card, a try off of a blatant forward pass, and the All Blacks not being awarded a single penalty in the second half. Anyone not French surely would admit that the reffing was considerably worse.

It's blind criticism because you didn't back up anything you said. You still haven't. You never do. It's difficult writing this while trying to keep the criticism specific to the individial - I don't want to insult French people who aren't dim. As it is you backed up another moronic criticism. "This award doesn't mean anything waaa, waaaa. The players from the best team keep winning, waaa, waaa. Except when a French guy won it - that was alright, even if he only played two or so good games that year..not going to talk about who was better mind you, better to just make dumb ass comments". And as mentioned - you were the won taking it off topic.

Last edited:
No New Zealander has really made any comment. But yes you are right. The final was suspect. Rougerie should have been red carded for an eye gouge on McCaw early on and the French should have been playing with 14 men. I guess the French were lucky to lose by the amount they did - considering they were the worst team to ever appear in a Rugby World Cup final. I guess it's hard to face the reality that you lost - with New Zealand's crappiest 1st 5/8th in recent memory (4th choice mind you) winning.

As for the double standard reffing. Barnes was much, much worse. The reason why France lost was their own fault. They kicked 33% at goal (they could have won it had they kicked a penalty in the second half). France conceded 13 penalties to New Zealand's 7. They had better stats but lacked the composure to win - something New Zealand had. Compare that to 2007 in which there was a dodgy yellow card, a try off of a blatant forward pass, and the All Blacks not being awarded a single penalty in the second half. Anyone not French surely would admit that the reffing was considerably worse.

It's blind criticism because you didn't back up anything you said. You still haven't. You never do. It's difficult writing this while trying to keep the criticism specific to the individial - I don't want to insult French people who aren't dim. As it is you backed up another moronic criticism. "This award doesn't mean anything waaa, waaaa. The players from the best team keep winning, waaa, waaa. Except when a French guy won it - that was alright, even if he only played two or so good games that year..not going to talk about who was better mind you, better to just make dumb ass comments". And as mentioned - you were the won taking it off topic.

Ironically, Dusautoir wasn't even in the top 5 players of the RWC, according to the IRB the 5 players of the tournament were;

Israel Dagg (New Zealand)
Jerome Kaino (New Zealand)
Jamie Roberts (Wales)
Sean O'Brien (Ireland)
Jacques Burger (Namibia)

So the huge question is... In which game was it based upon? Because France lost to England and Italy in the six nations, finishing 2nd and their warm up tests were shocking. There are huge blunders like Habana in 2007, McCaw in 2009 and Dusautoir in 2011. The award system is losing credibility. Even now I think it should have gone to McCaw and not Carter. Then when you consider Farrell's nomination. What is going on with the IRB? If you apply the same logic to Habana's win, it should have been someone on the NZ team that won it in 2011 as Habana won it in 2007 as did Wilkinson in 2003. Habana was not the best player, I believe that was Hernandez.

I enjoy your posts Yoe. They remind me what an articulate, intelligent guy I am.

dude, you've hated me from the get-go for wtvr reason, it's really the least of my worries obviously...
so be it. I wish to discuss, simply and purely, but it's just not possible at all times in this world - some ppl will just aim others and that's that.
Okay man, you're brilliant and I'm a dumbass, okay man, no problem...your input is extremely negative, counter-productive and above all unnecessary, in fact it's fundamentally the very inverse of what online forum activity should be but like I said, it's cool. Be like that with me.

P.S.: I don't enjoy your posts. But they also remind me what an articulate, intelligent, good person I am.

UlsterRugby2012 : oh don't start too buddy, this convo just naturally turned to this subject of the 2011 final - you know there's absolutely nothing ironic about it, no...

TRF_nickdnz : okay obviously you're right man, I'm terribly sorry for my utter nonsense. France should have been down 18 men and NZ should have won it 50-0, if anything Joubert was horribly biased against NZ lol, you win, I lose, no problem...
Backup ? Dude...that fine Argentinian fellow just posted a like 25min video analysis on the affair...
here's one if you're so dying for evidence....

EDIT: I didn't comment about the award itself, I dunno what post you're talking about but it's interesting that you would assume it was me.

It's like (some) ppl on this forum are dying to pick on me for no 'good' reason.

Now this is for the whole forum, because it's necessary:
I'm not spiteful, nothing I write is written to offend or hurt anyone (except that post on the Samoa thread, I just hate it when ppl start thinking they're big shots all of a sudden, that guy was very offensive and had to be put back in his place), it's just me spewing out observations...may be false or right, but regardless this is no way to get back at someone, obviously.
Knowing that, any insult or negativity you throw at me should be your own responsibility...I don't want to "own" ppl, humiliate, make myself look smart etc...like many. I just want to read stuff, share ideas. That's literally it. That's it.

Read my last posts on this thread: nothing wrong. And I get ppl insulting me and bullying me left right and center like I'm in a mental asylum all of a sudden...highly abnormal stuff...but anyways.

All this just to say: (to get back to the thread) interesting, that notion that Dusautoir got it last year in that regard (politics, as a result of the RWC final).

Last edited by a moderator:
So the huge question is... In which game was it based upon? Because France lost to England and Italy in the six nations, finishing 2nd and their warm up tests were shocking. There are huge blunders like Habana in 2007, McCaw in 2009 and Dusautoir in 2011. The award system is losing credibility. Even now I think it should have gone to McCaw and not Carter. Then when you consider Farrell's nomination. What is going on with the IRB? If you apply the same logic to Habana's win, it should have been someone on the NZ team that won it in 2011 as Habana won it in 2007 as did Wilkinson in 2003. Habana was not the best player, I believe that was Hernandez.

Habana was great in 2007, he scored 13 tries in 11 matches and he won every single game he played for the Springboks that year. That was probably when Habana peaked, he didn't really get to his best for the entire PDivvy reign as coach, but it seems he has recovered his form again now ... perhaps Pieter de Villiers' game plan didn't use him effectively as White's and Meyer's. Hernández also peaked that year and was great, opinions may differ as to which one of those two should have won that year, but whichever one of them won (it happened to Habana) thoroughly deserved it, they were both the two outstanding candidates. Certainly not a "huge blunder" to let Habana win it, he was quality back then.

The IRB player of the year really started to become stupid in 2009, before that it was okay. That year South Africa and Ireland both had good years, South Africa winning the Tri Nations and Ireland the Grand Slam. The outstanding candidates were Brian O'Driscoll and Fourie du Preez, if they had given it to either one of them they would have richly deserved it. But they gave it to McCaw who had come of second best to Brussow that year.

In 2011, Kaino imo deserved the award based on the entire year, yet Dusautoir won it based on one great match. And also Piri Weepu somehow managed to get on the nominees, despite spending the start of the year second fiddle to Jimmy Cowan and missing kicks in the final.

Owen Farrell surpassed Weepu as possibly the oddest nominee this year as well. And I believe McCaw didn't win, simply because he had numerous wins before.

I agree with Colombia that the award has become more about politics and less about the actual award. Dusautoir's win in 2011 could well have been given as consolation to France to hush their whining after the final.

^ lol wtf !!
Logic fkup right there...the supposed best player in the world isn't the best player of his own team...in fact he's not even a top3 player in his own team ! :lol:

very good !...

Fair enough, I actually don't think Carter has been that amazing this year, just steady on a great team and that makes him look great. Seems to be forcing the drop goal a bit too much missing one against Ireland that could have been the end of the match (sadly it wasn't) then one against the Aussies. Cruden has looked almost just as good in matches against Ireland (60-0) and the recent one with Wales. Also the Scotland match got rave reviews for Carter but watch him the first 20 mins, missed a kick, threw a ball into touch at a great attacking chance and gave an intercept pass.
I reckon McCaw or Dagg should have got it.

Fair enough, I actually don't think Carter has been that amazing this year, just steady on a great team and that makes him look great. Seems to be forcing the drop goal a bit too much missing one against Ireland that could have been the end of the match (sadly it wasn't) then one against the Aussies. Cruden has looked almost just as good in matches against Ireland (60-0) and the recent one with Wales. Also the Scotland match got rave reviews for Carter but watch him the first 20 mins, missed a kick, threw a ball into touch at a great attacking chance and gave an intercept pass.
I reckon McCaw or Dagg should have got it.

Also broke the most tackles of any player on the field and set up all the All Blacks tries.

Say what you like about Carter, but Kieran Read is, on form, the best player in the world, and deserves the All Blacks award as some form of conciliation for daftly not even being nominated for the IRB one.

Say what you like about Carter, but Kieran Read is, on form, the best player in the world, and deserves the All Blacks award as some form of conciliation for daftly not even being nominated for the IRB one.

Agreed.

Latest posts