• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB player of the year 2013

ZeFrenchy

First XV
Country Flag
France
Still some rugby to play, and the prize seems to be already decided, but let's start the bets.

I'd say that something quite cataclysmic would have to happen for Kieran Read not to get it, while Ben Smith and Leigh Halfpenny seem to me the most serious competitors.

Jean De Villiers should get a nomination, as probably should Conrad Smith (can you believe he's never been nominated?). Michael Hooper stands a chance of a nomination and I think Brodie Retallick and Eben Etzebeth could make it as well. I don't think any Argentines hold a chance of nomination, unless the IRB try to correct not nominating Fernandez Lobbe last year, and nominate him this year as consolation prize.

For the NH players, the 6N seems far away, but Halfpenny and Cuthbert were the standouts there. Johnny Sexton is the only one, I think, who could be nominated other than those two (maybe Picamoles?).

So, my prediction is:
Winner: Kieran Read
Other nominees: Jean De Villiers, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Leigh Halfpenny.

Well the year is not over yet, but I think it would be between Read and Ben Smith. Read probably with more chances to take it.

They should have different categories:

1. Forward of the year: Kieran Read is the standout;
2. Back of the year: Between Ben Smith and Halfpenny (6N player of the year and BIL player of the series);
3. Newcomer or young player of the year? Steven Luatua for me has stood out for me in his first season as an All Black.

Overall player of the year: Read, Ben Smith, Halfpenny, JDV, Etzebeth, Alun-Wyn Jones, Picamoles?

Last edited:
Picamoles absolutely needs to be nominated, but clearly he's not THE best of the year. But as just one epic example for the ones who may've forgotten, France was down in Ireland in the waning moments, about to lose its 4th straight in the 6N and probably set a record, and he literally single-handedly picks himself, throws himself past the line, and scores....yeh, that easy. Saves the match in a draw, at least...

Read should've won it last year. He should win it this year. Halfpenny is the only other real contender, though the likes of Smith, de Villiers, Hooper and AWJ would be 100% deserving of nominations. Good call on Picamoles, too, whatever you're called now, he's been outstanding.

Still some rugby to play, and the prize seems to be already decided, but let's start the bets.

I'd say that something quite cataclysmic would have to happen for Kieran Read not to get it, while Ben Smith and Leigh Halfpenny seem to me the most serious competitors.

Jean De Villiers should get a nomination, as probably should Conrad Smith (can you believe he's never been nominated?). Michael Hooper stands a chance of a nomination and I think Brodie Retallick and Eben Etzebeth could make it as well. I don't think any Argentines hold a chance of nomination, unless the IRB try to correct not nominating Fernandez Lobbe last year, and nominate him this year as consolation prize.

For the NH players, the 6N seems far away, but Halfpenny and Cuthbert were the standouts there. Johnny Sexton is the only one, I think, who could be nominated other than those two (maybe Picamoles?).

So, my prediction is:
Winner: Kieran Read
Other nominees: Jean De Villiers, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Leigh Halfpenny.

My nominees as this point:
Kieran Read, Adam Jones, Etzebeth, Conrad Smith

Not that the IRB player of the year award has much credence with so often bizarre admissions/omissions to the list. It's really gone downhill.

Read

Space

Ben Smith

Space

Leigh Halfpenny
Jean de Villiers
Conrad Smith

Space

the rest though some outstanding showings unfortunate not to get recognition; I am talking about Figallo, Vermeulen, Etzebeth, Retallick, Whitelock, Picamoles, Folau, Dagg, Hooper... oh, and then there are some of the other B&I Lions.. just sooo many but those 5 above really stand out IMO

We all know it will be Richie McCaw again anyway...

Kieran Read has been the best player on the planet this year in my opinion.

We all know it will be Richie McCaw again anyway...

Kieran Read has been the best player on the planet this year in my opinion.

on this planet, yes. It seems everybody agrees with that. And me too...which makes it an objective fact.

i think lee halfpenny will get it due to his amazing performance in the six nations and an amazing performance in the british lions tour to australia

Latest posts