• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the year

Williams deserved it he produced good rugby!

Serg on the other hand had proved to be consistent but his real problem? He aint part of a major national side! No offence to Italy!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Nov 26 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree yes, Jean De Villiers was also right up there, overall the best imo but for some reason he wasnt nominated and the useless Ryan Jones was?[/b]
He has been awful this season, but there is a reason that so many people named him as front-runner for Lions captaincy last year, and if he finds top form again after Christmas and through the 6 nations, he will be it. He is a world class player.
It's just like saying Bryan Habana is useless. :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 27 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Nov 26 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree yes, Jean De Villiers was also right up there, overall the best imo but for some reason he wasnt nominated and the useless Ryan Jones was?[/b]
He has been awful this season, but there is a reason that so many people named him as front-runner for Lions captaincy last year, and if he finds top form again after Christmas and through the 6 nations, he will be it. He is a world class player.
It's just like saying Bryan Habana is useless. :huh:
[/b][/quote]

But if the IRB used that reasoning, shouldn't Habana and others that are off form but are great players have been nominated too? It is after all supposed to be for the best players of 2008 and not the years before or after

Well, at least Ryan Kankowski won SA Super 14 player of the year award. Oh wait, he played for 5 minutes against Wales, and didn't score a hat-trick or play like a man possessed. He must be **** then. Must be some mistake then i guess. Because he sucks...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 27 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did someone say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?
No?
Ok...[/b]

sarcasm.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
During 2008 the 31-year-old Williams broke the Welsh try-scoring record and inspired Wales to the 2008 Grand Slam.

Williams already won the RBS Six Nations Player of the Year gong as his six tries equalling Will Greenwood's Six Nations try-scoring record.[/b]
Good on him.  Wales really made their mark by going unbeaten in the 6N...congrats to them! :bravo:

Losing three times to South Africa and once to New Zealand must have been overlooked.

Obviously when voting they didn't take into account that one game he had against wingers who are more than his match...Roko and Sivi.

I think it should have been Dan Carter.....steered the Crusaders to yet another yawning ***le...steered the AB's to yet another Tri Nations (less of a yawn)....quelled the usually scary Wallabies in the Bledisloe...and is on the verge of a Grand Slam against the home nations.  After putting Shane and the Welsh to sleep in the second half last week Carter must have also put the panel choosing the IRB POTY to sleep as it looks like they mistook the identity of Shane Williams who missed the tackle on Mealamu for the AB's first try.  

Well we could also argue that McCaw did EXACTLY the same thing as Carter....and even more considering McCaw is the captain of Carter and the teams Carter plays in.

I suppose for the good of the game it is better to choose a different player each year...even if the player himself knows he didn't deserve it.

I dunno hey. I thought he was great this year, and for the mere fact that he is a little Welshman thats almost 32, and still gasses a lot of guys, i would give it to him. He is great to watch, and i am happy for him. Has Carter won the ***le before? I think he won in 2005 if i'm not mistaken. Maybe they were also just giving other guys a go for a change? I think he deserved it though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 24 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never really in doubt considering the lineup.

I still say it should have been Parisse.[/b]

I don't mind.... Parisse is younger and can still win.

It was last chance for Shane so I'm happy for him

I think Shane Williams deserves it alot more than Dan Carter, Richie McCaw etc. The reason I say this is because it'll be hard not to shine when you have an embarrassment of good players surrounding you like the All Blacks do. Shane Williams has to play year after year behind a beaten pack when it comes to playing against nations like the All Blacks, Wallabies and Springboks but he still manages to make a awesome career out of what's handed to him.

I use to think just because he's from the northern hemisphere and he gets wasted when he plays in the southern hemisphere he sucked but now I have a great respect for him because he is a little player that has to play up against big man and he's usually got no help around him so he can only really depend on himself. There are some other good players for Wales but Shane Williams stands well above most of them, so I think there is no arguement what so ever and he thoroughly deserves his IRB player of the year award.

Latest posts