• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of Year shortlist announced

M

monkeypigeon

A 7 man shortlist has been named for the IRB International Player of the Year.

http://www.irb.com/history/awards/newsid=2...tlist+announced

Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
Tom Croft (England)
Matt Giteau (Australia)
Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
Fracois Steyn (South Africa)
Jamie Heaslip (Ireland)
Fourie du Preez (South Africa)

One or two or three shocks in there. But no difference really seeing as everyone is fairly sure it's going to either Brian O'Driscoll or Fourie du Preez.

But all the same...a few very iffy ones.

i hope Brian wins it as he's been playing well

and apparantly hes my 'dads' cousin

Did we not have a perfectly good thread running about this. I cant for the life of me find it when i want to read it, but there is one ther somewhere.

Why no French players they're 4th best team in the world surely they have some standout players?

Best player in the world would be the one who shows that rugby is about ball in hand rather than ball in air.

I guess BOD is the closest.

Well I'll throw my twopence in, as biased as it is. South Africa would have won the tri nations without Du Preez. With a pack that dominant anyone could pull the strings. When we ask the question of whether Ireland could have won the Grand Slam without Bod the answer is most definitely no. He rescued us against England, Brought us back to life against Wales and was the inspirational figure behind our run of 5 wins that lead to that historic achievement. He epitomises everything that is right with rugby union: Attacking flair, the willingness to put one's own body on the line for the sake of the team, the gentlemanly character and a modesty that is so rarely seen in modern sports star. I'll willingly acknowledge that DuPreez is one of the great rugby players of our time but better than Brian? Not this year for sure. He'll probably get his hands on this award at some point but this year lets recognise one of the idols of modern rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 19 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I'll throw my twopence in, as biased as it is. South Africa would have won the tri nations without Du Preez. With a pack that dominant anyone could pull the strings. When we ask the question of whether Ireland could have won the Grand Slam without Bod the answer is most definitely no. He rescued us against England, Brought us back to life against Wales and was the inspirational figure behind our run of 5 wins that lead to that historic achievement. He epitomises everything that is right with rugby union: Attacking flair, the willingness to put one's own body on the line for the sake of the team, the gentlemanly character and a modesty that is so rarely seen in modern sports star. I'll willingly acknowledge that DuPreez is one of the great rugby players of our time but better than Brian? Not this year for sure. He'll probably get his hands on this award at some point but this year lets recognise one of the idols of modern rugby.[/b]

********. Du Preez was the most important player in that Boks team.

I'm at a loss here....WTF did Francois Steyn did that earned him a spot in the shortlist??

Is there something the iRB saw that I didnt???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 19 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I'll throw my twopence in, as biased as it is. South Africa would have won the tri nations without Du Preez. With a pack that dominant anyone could pull the strings. When we ask the question of whether Ireland could have won the Grand Slam without Bod the answer is most definitely no. He rescued us against England, Brought us back to life against Wales and was the inspirational figure behind our run of 5 wins that lead to that historic achievement. He epitomises everything that is right with rugby union: Attacking flair, the willingness to put one's own body on the line for the sake of the team, the gentlemanly character and a modesty that is so rarely seen in modern sports star. I'll willingly acknowledge that DuPreez is one of the great rugby players of our time but better than Brian? Not this year for sure. He'll probably get his hands on this award at some point but this year lets recognise one of the idols of modern rugby.[/b]

Sorry, just no. the fact that that we use against Wales as a barometer with BOD etc.

Both excellent players int heir own right. Thoguh my vote would go to BOD this man is the heart of Ireland and everythign revolves round him. To tak ehtis pressure and perform week in week out makes this guy extra special.

Latest posts