• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB rankings and RWC 2015 pool draws

IRB Player of the Year Shane Williams not as good as Habana?
(Yes, I know who won it in 2007...)

I don't really know you peanuts40 but I'm going to just assume you're trolling. Because no one could possibly be that retarded. Legend of the game? HAHAHAHA. I see no point debating this. I bet your next comment is Morne Steyn is a living legend and better than Dan Carter.

I don't really know you peanuts40 but I'm going to just assume you're trolling. Because no one could possibly be that retarded. Legend of the game? HAHAHAHA. I see no point debating this. I bet your next comment is Morne Steyn is a living legend and better than Dan Carter.

Well, he's 7th (I think) on the all time test try scorers list, and could go up further, assuming he doesn't retire ... he's certainly South Africa's top try scorer ever, and is probably already one of the greats imo.

His IRB try of the year was pretty good too.

I'm a big fan of Habana - but I'd rather have Jane on the right wing at the moment. Habana would be better on the left. In terms of form - there isn't much in it.

Habana has had a much longer career than Jane. He debuted for South Africa in 2004, has played 83 tests and scored 47 tries (try scoring ratio of 0.56).

Cory Jane has debuted in 2008, has played 41 tests and scored 16 tries (try scoring ratio of 0.39). So yes, Habana is a more prolific try scorer than Jane (Jane certainly has many other qualities).

Shane Williams debuted for Wales in 2000, played 93 tests and scored 60 tries (try scoring ratio of 0.66). His tries is the third highest of all time and the highest in the professional era from a tier 1 side. I think Shane Williams will certainly go down as a legend. Of players who have scored at a higher ratio than Shane Williams, having scored 30 or more tries are Daisuke Ohata (who I don't really count), Doug Howlett, Hirotoki Onozawa (same as Ohata), Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu.

I think Habana will go down as a legend - especially if he has another World Cup left in him as he may overtake Lomu as the most tries in World Cups (with 3 world cups as opposed to 2).

Okay, I'll jump in to this debate.

Habana does create chances for himself... how many times have you seen him join a ruck, pick up the ball and then score a try like a forward? to score a try from an interception, IMHO is one of the best ways to CREATE a chance, as you wouldn't have been in that position if your team had the ball.

He used to be a prolific tackler, but hasn't shown any of those big hits this year, maybe he knows he's getting old and that his body has more bumps and bruises.

Lastly, the type of gameplan the Boks play, is detrimental to the creation of chance for wingers, so it's a bit unfair to brand Habana as such a winger. If you want to compare him to someone, compare him to another winger playing for a south african team. Only then will you get a proper measurement of what Habana can do...

Knocking Habana. Pfffft. I might as well say; "Lomu, schmomu, couldn't score a try with a written invitation (is that Joost I see?) and was useless if he couldn't be relied upon to score". Yeah Habana was terrible for 2 years but there isn't another winger I'd rather have in the SA setup right now.

Last edited:
Knocking Habana. Pfffft. I might as well say; "Lomu, schmomu, couldn't score a try with a written invitation (is that Joost I see?) and was useless if he couldn't be relied upon to score". Yeah Habana was terrible for 2 years but there isn't another winger I'd rather have in the SA setup right now.

No one was ever knocking Habana. The fact that some people see it this way just shows that perhaps they are missing the point IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The French were, but then again, they are French so it's all cool.

EDIT: In retrospect some people might think I'm serious so I'll rephrase.

ZE GERMANS ARE COMINGS!

Last edited:
The French were, but then again, they are French so it's all cool.

EDIT: In retrospect some people might think I'm serious so I'll rephrase.

ZE GERMANS ARE COMINGS!

Please don't, some nutbag is going to put one of the million "hitler hits out..." youtube videos on this thread...

Last edited:
I thought that's banned on pain of death?

Latest posts