• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB wants traditional tours

C

Cymro

IRB wants traditional tours
Rugby chiefs look to stop countries fielding weakened sides

The International Rugby Board are set to look at returning to 'traditional' tours in a bid to stop countries fielding weakened sides.

Australia and New Zealand have protested about the standard of squads the northern hemisphere unions have named for the June internationals in the past.

France have sent under-strength sides south for the past two seasons because of club commitments, while injuries forced England to face New Zealand with a shadow squad.

And with ticket sales being hit as a result, New Zealand and Australia have both considered cancelling future tours from Europe in protest.

However following a meeting of the 10 tier one countries at Heathrow the IRB are to investigate whether a return to traditional tours - with midweek warm-up matches - will work.

The IRB are also set to conclude discussions about the integration of Argentina into the Tri-Nations "as a matter of urgency" as well as look at hosting an international tournament in years of a Lions tour.

Solutions
The tournament would involve the countries not playing in the Lions tour, so 2009 would potentially see Argentina, France, Australia and New Zealand take on each other.

IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "The meeting in Heathrow was both constructive and extremely positive and all the delegates demonstrated a clear collective willingness to work together to consider meaningful solutions.

"Building on the outcomes of the historic Global Season Forum at Woking last year, the group asked the IRB to work on three specific opportunities in detail - tours to the South in the June window; the creation of a tournament or a series of matches in a Lions year for unions not involved in the Lions tour and Argentina's full integration into the Tri Nations.

"It is incredibly complex. Finding solutions that allow for growth, a balanced schedule and the promotion of meaningful matches has been a challenge."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12321_4488954,00.html

the last real tour i remember (barring the lions) was the italians coming and playing the naki, bop and several other npc teams. and thats what its about. instead of 3-4 nh teams coming over and playing 1-2 games each, i would rather see one send down a large squad of 35 or so, and playing a couple of provincial sides and a test match or two. boost for local economys, a way to blood new players and more importantly a bit of fun for the tome team

To be honest I never knew what to make of this, but I really like the idea of returning to the old tours, completely get rid of the June and November matches (the November ones are the only games that ever matter these days anyway).

It'll make a test much something special again, and I love it when the National side plays some provinces, just like in the old days dammit.

Yeah. It's BS that we make an effort to take strong sides to the NH, but for some reason when they tour here they send left overs. I'm in favour of this.

Can anyone explain to me how they propose "only allowing 1st XV" to tour? Do they intend to ban debut players or those with less then 15 caps? I agree that the summer tours are a load of old cobblers, but there's no effective way that they can 'enforce' non-second string sides.

Plus I think the clubs may have something to say about their players never having a summer off and spending all their time with the union camps. It's a touchy subject as things stand already.

Let's wait and see, I've got the feeling that these declarations are the usual bullshitting they do at the end of their meetings. Global season is till not issued.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Nov 12 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah. It's BS that we make an effort to take strong sides to the NH, but for some reason when they tour here they send left overs. I'm in favour of this.[/b]
Ireland tour to the SH with full teams. Have done so consistently for the past few years. In general all the Celtic teams do (barring injuries). We lose a lot though.

Its England and France that are killing it, and it aint actually their fault. Until the IRB sort out the f***ing club calendar these conversations are a waste of space.

On the other side of the coin, in France and England the clubs are their own entities and are in business for themselves. They pay for their players wages and (understandably) don't want them needlessly risked in other competitions (despite what some official statements say). The Celtic nations however tend to use their regions as feeders to the national sides and tend to only take the HEC seriously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 12 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the other side of the coin, in France and England the clubs are their own entities and are in business for themselves. They pay for their players wages and (understandably) don't want them needlessly risked in other competitions (despite what some official statements say). The Celtic nations however tend to use their regions as feeders to the national sides and tend to only take the HEC seriously.[/b]
yep thats what i said, but put more intelligently.

I'd like to see all of this happen. I don't know how it will happen, but I'd be happy if they found a way to make it happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Nov 13 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd like to see all of this happen. I don't know how it will happen, but I'd be happy if they found a way to make it happen.[/b]

There was a proposal made by Serge Blanco some months ago which was to merge June and November Tests windows into a single one of six weeks starting in September. Long tours could be then done. Of course tem will alternatively host touring teams or tour on the other hemisphere. Every four years the RWC would be organised instead of the tours.

I found this proposal as a good way to progress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 14 2008, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Nov 13 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to see all of this happen. I don't know how it will happen, but I'd be happy if they found a way to make it happen.[/b]

There was a proposal made by Serge Blanco some months ago which was to merge June and November Tests windows into a single one of six weeks starting in September. Long tours could be then done. Of course tem will alternatively host touring teams or tour on the other hemisphere. Every four years the RWC would be organised instead of the tours.

[/b][/quote]

I think it would have to start a little later in the year than September for the Southern Hemisphere teams to handle it. But other than that it's a very good idea and would hopefully solve a few problems.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Nov 14 2008, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 14 2008, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Nov 13 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I think it would have to start a little later in the year than September for the Southern Hemisphere teams to handle it. But other than that it's a very good idea and would hopefully solve a few problems.
[/b][/quote]

Well if there was this single window the Tri-Nation could start three weeks sooner as well as the NPC and Currie Cups, wouldn't this solve the issue?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 15 2008, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well if there was this single window the Tri-Nation could start three weeks sooner as well as the NPC and Currie Cups, wouldn't this solve the issue?[/b]

I think it would, because in the Tri-Nations case it would just be replacing the start of year 'tours' by the NH teams.

Latest posts