• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Wellington Sevens 2009

G

Gay-Guy

OMG! NZ just got beaten by Wales 28-19 and Fiji lost to USA lol!!!!!! What a shock filled opening 3 hours of play!

I was really happy when USA beat Fiji....not because USA were the underdogs.....but because one of their players is dirty. Their number 1....when USA scored to take the lead right on halftime he kicked at the leg of the try scorer and injured him...so the US player had to retire early in the second half...then the same player does a DELIBERATE head shot at another US player (I think the brother of the first player that got injured) and almost dislocates the US player's shoulder as he lands on the ground heavily in a dazed state. So the Fijian number 1 gets sent off for 2 minutes. Anyway in the last 30 seconds with the game tied the player gets back on the field....just in time to chase in vain the US winning try scorer.....poetic justice eh....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 6 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was really happy when USA beat Fiji....not because USA were the underdogs.....but because one of their players is dirty.[/b]
Whoops I meant one of the Fijian players is dirty.

Argentina leading England at halftime.....10-0. An Argentinian player uses some footie skills by kick passing a ball on to his winger...he didn't bother catch and pass when the ball came to him....he just used his leg and kick it to the winger.

Argentina win pool C by beating England 13-5. However with Fiji and NZ looking like they may possibly be second in their pools winning a pool may not be a good thing. Anyway this tournament does show that sevens rugby is closer than it was 10 years ago when the IRB series started.

Another upset....Kenya come from behind 5-17 to beat South Africa 22-17!!! Yes thats right...South Africa...winner of the last how many tournaments lost to Kenya.

Now for NZ vs Aus...if NZ lose they may possibly miss out on the cup competition. Aussie are unbeaten going into this match.

NZ 21- 7 Aus. Haltime score. That Cama guy in the NZ team really is the only playmaker there...the rest of the Kiwis are sluggy Richie MaCaw workhorses. NZ strength is McCaw like tackle tackle tackle and wearing down their opposition...using defence as a weapon. However they have no real genuine pace and could be exposed by faster teams.

Whew....NZ get away with the win 26-19.....very close game. Unfortunately for Wales after their victory against NZ they are bundled out of the cup comp.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 6 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
NZ 21- 7 Aus. Haltime score. That Cama guy in the NZ team really is the only playmaker there...the rest of the Kiwis are sluggy Richie MaCaw workhorses. NZ strength is McCaw like tackle tackle tackle and wearing down their opposition...using defence as a weapon. However they have no real genuine pace and could be exposed by faster teams.[/b]

Nanai-Williams is a good playmaker but he doesn't have the out-and-out pace of Cama. Lawrence also has a bit less bulk and a lot more speed. But I agree that most of them are not awfully quick.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Feb 6 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 6 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NZ 21- 7 Aus. Haltime score. That Cama guy in the NZ team really is the only playmaker there...the rest of the Kiwis are sluggy Richie MaCaw workhorses. NZ strength is McCaw like tackle tackle tackle and wearing down their opposition...using defence as a weapon. However they have no real genuine pace and could be exposed by faster teams.[/b]

Nanai-Williams is a good playmaker but he doesn't have the out-and-out pace of Cama. Lawrence also has a bit less bulk and a lot more speed. But I agree that most of them are not awfully quick.
[/b][/quote]

Actually Viliame Waqaseqaseduadua and Nafi Tuitavake are not really slugs either. Both have good acceleration and a good step. Their top-end pace isn't the best around though.

Heard about the Wales result but hadn't heard about it on here 'til I saw this. Cracking result! Can't wait to see the highlights on Monday. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 7 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Heard about the Wales result but hadn't heard about it on here 'til I saw this. Cracking result! Can't wait to see the highlights on Monday. :D[/b]

Yea, it was good stuff by Wales who really took advantage of a great opportunity when we were down with 5 men. Their defense in the last few mins to keep us from crossing the line was also immense!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 6 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OMG! NZ just got beaten by Wales 28-19 and Fiji lost to USA lol!!!!!! What a shock filled opening 3 hours of play![/b]

The Rugby in USA is gearing up for the better future that's the fact but despite my great respect towards Fiji, these guys from beautiful Oceania do not really prove themselves to play on a high level each time they face off with others

Great win by Wales! And at last we've made it through to the Cup Quarter finals this season, bring on Kenya!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Feb 7 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great win by Wales! And at last we've made it through to the Cup Quarter finals this season, bring on Kenya![/b]
Does this mean that...Australia is out???????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 7 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Feb 7 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great win by Wales! And at last we've made it through to the Cup Quarter finals this season, bring on Kenya![/b]
[/b][/quote]
Yea, it does. Gutting for Aus especially with the potential they have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Feb 7 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 7 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Feb 7 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
Yea, it does. Gutting for Aus especially with the potential they have.
[/b][/quote]
Thats just tragic...they have some very skilled players....so sad to see their rugby struggling....first their 15 a side team is the only 3N to drop a game up north on the end of year tour...then their League team loses the World Cup...then their cricket team loses twice in one week at home to the lowly black caps....not good not good.

Quarterfinal draw:

Kenya v Wales
Fiji v England
Argentina v USA
New Zealand v South Africa.

Kenya top their pool lol!

Latest posts