Ronan Kelleher (Leinster) 13
Dave Kilcoyne (Munster) 45
Peter O'Mahony (Munster) 76
Tom O'Toole (Ulster) 1
Andrew Porter (Leinster) 37
James Ryan (Leinster) 37
Nick Timoney (Ulster) 1
Josh van der Flier (Leinster) 32

That's just from a random Joe.ie article. I wouldn't love that squad but wouldn't hate it. I think we should be looking at getting Frawley and Hume in as Farrell and McCloskey are very much known entities and not great ones at that.

I'd also have Sheehan over Heffernan, pick the guy with international potential.

A few others there that personally I'd like to see something different but not much to argue with apart from that given the injuries and lack of experience most of the fringe guys/potential bolters have with their provinces. Jamie Osbourne over one of the Munster clones would be cool as a utility back option.

Anyway, it only matters so much, I think we'll tread water with Farrell and hopefully get a new coach after the QF exit in two years.

Yeah I know. In fact assume I know everything you know AND more you little idiot. Don't ever come at a Sigma Male like me again or you will pay BIG! You DON'T want to mess with a lone wolf.

Anyway... I presume Joe have pulled it from their holes and don't have an inside line? Presume Healy gets a call up if Sexton does indeed drop out. Doubt there will be many if any surprises.

If I was picking the team, my 10s would be Sexton, Jack Carty and Ben Healy. In the medium term, Carty is a guy who, on his day, can really get hold of the game, and in the longer term, I see Healy as Sexton's successor. Carberry may one day get back to his best, but he's not there yet. Ross Byrne is reliable but unadventurous, and the pressure isn't really on him at Leinster because he plays behind behind a dominant pack. Billy Burns is more adventurous but less reliable, and the pressure isn't really on him at Ulster because he plays behind a dominant 9 (and he's totally out of practice as a goal kicker).

At 9, I'd definitely have Caolin Blade in there. I'm still baffled that Gibson-Park is picked ahead of Luke McGrath. Cooney's obviously out of the frame, and it's probably too soon for Nathan Doak, but he'll be in the frame before too long.

Henshaw is obviously Ireland's best centre. If he's at 12, then Ringrose or Hume at 13. If Henshaw's at 13, then I'd like to see more of McCloskey at 12. On recent form, I think Craig Gilroy might be worth a look on the wing.

Iain Henderson needs to be in there. He was a real stabilising influence on the pack in the last Six Nations.

Any word on when the squad is announced?

Am hoping Sheehan gets in. Heffernan is a good player for Connacht who has done an impressive job to turn around his career but Sheehan is probably already as good and has so much potential. There isn't even URC during the window so we can't leave him with Leinster for gametime.

Edit: squad is due tomorrow

Sexton set to be fit for November Tests as Henshaw makes progress https://the42.ie/5578130

Purely off form

Addison gone so Keenan
McElroy
Hume
Frawley
Hansen
Sexton
Doak

Porter
Sheehan
O toole
Ryan
Kleyn
Doris
Timoney
Coombes

I actually wanted Heffernan in the squad for a good while before he was called up but it was one of those rare cases where I was definitely wrong. He just hasn't been very good for Ireland. Time to get Sheehan in.
10 is boring, for a whole variety of reasons this isn't the window where we move on from Sexton. Assume it'll be Carbery and Burns.
Agreed that Frawley and Hume should be in ahead of the traditional uninspiring backups. Both McCloskey and Farrell are known quantities at this stage.

I assume Andy is going to continue his generally hard to understand approach to scrumhalf. The rest of the squad is hard to get too interested in, won't be many surprises.

Purely off form

Addison gone so Keenan
McElroy
Hume
Frawley
Hansen
Sexton
Doak

Porter
Sheehan
O toole
Ryan
Kleyn
Doris
Timoney
Coombes
Hard to omit Larmour on form behind those two imo. He's not scoring but making linebreaks and beating defenders in an otherwise high scoring team.

(Not that form XVs are anything other than academic)

Hard to omit Larmour on form behind those two imo. He's not scoring but making linebreaks and beating defenders in an otherwise high scoring team.

(Not that form XVs are anything other than academic)

I felt the games I've watched he's shown the same weakness in his all round game(offensively aside) against poor opposition, ditto Lowe.

Hope they at least bring some pretty fringe lads a call up to hold bags during camp. As BG8 mentioned its not like they'll be missing anything with their provinces. Definitely time to bring Sheehan in, he's too good an athlete to pass up and Heffernan is really not up to it. Would happily have Frawley and Hume in, although I don't know how they'll go at this level.

10s are an easy one to call.... and uninspiring. Need Healy and younger Byrne to make hay this season. Carty will always be Carty. **** hot one day, pure **** the next. Everyone has bad form, but he's plain inconsistent.

Andy loves to leave these things late doesn't he.

5:30 for some reason.

Thornley's predicted squad:
Hookers: Kelleher, Herring, Sheehan.
Props: Porter, Kilcoyne, Healy, Furlong, O'Toole, Bealham.
Locks: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, Wycherley.
Backrows: Doris, Conan, Van der Flier, O'Mahony, Coombes, Timoney.
Scrumhalves: Murray, Casey, Gibson-Park.

Outhalves: Sexton, Carbery, H Byrne.
Centres: Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, McCloskey, Hume.
Back three: Keenan, Earls, Larmour, Lowe, Stockdale, Conway, Zebo.

5:30 for some reason.

Thornley's predicted squad:
Hookers: Kelleher, Herring, Sheehan.
Props: Porter, Kilcoyne, Healy, Furlong, O'Toole, Bealham.
Locks: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, Wycherley.
Backrows: Doris, Conan, Van der Flier, O'Mahony, Coombes, Timoney.
Scrumhalves: Murray, Casey, Gibson-Park.

Outhalves: Sexton, Carbery, H Byrne.
Centres: Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, McCloskey, Hume.
Back three: Keenan, Earls, Larmour, Lowe, Stockdale, Conway, Zebo.
Looks believable and mostly reasonable. Am I right in thinking O'Toole has been in the squad since Andy took over but still hasn't gotten a cap? Definitely the window that changes you'd feel.

Looks believable and mostly reasonable. Am I right in thinking O'Toole has been in the squad since Andy took over but still hasn't gotten a cap? Definitely the window that changes you'd feel.

Started against USA and that's it. You'd hope so but there does seem to be a lack of trust in his scrummaging. Probably less of a worry this window but could see Bealham or even Healy getting a go subbing with TOt still being more likely to start.

I don't like this squad, I love it.

Backs (18)

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 31 caps

Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) 1 cap

Harry Byrne (Leinster/Lansdowne) 1 cap

Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 24 caps

Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 3 caps

Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 25 caps

Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 93 caps

Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/UCD)*

Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 10 caps

James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps

Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary's College) 30 caps

James Lowe (Leinster) 6 caps

Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 5 caps

Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 89 caps

Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 34 caps

Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary's College) 99 caps CAPTAIN

Simon Zebo (Munster/Cork Constitution) 35 caps

Forwards (20)

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 5 caps

Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 16 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 22 caps

Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 20 caps

Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps

Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 19 caps

Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary's College) 9 caps

Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 49 caps

Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 109 caps

Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 63 caps

Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 22 caps

Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 45 caps

Peter O'Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 76 caps

Tom O'Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 1 cap

Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne)*

Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps

*denotes uncapped player

Development Players

Thomas Ahern (Munster/Shannon)

Jamie Osborne (Leinster/Naas)

Only thing I'd quibble about is I'd have Doak as a development player.

Edit: also noted no Henshaw which is a bit of a downer.

If you had to pick a squad now for NZ what would it be?

I'd go for something like this

1. Porter
2. Kelleher
3. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. VDF
8. Conan
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Aki
13. Ringrose
14. Baloucoune
15. Keenan

Less sure about the backs, Lowe in particular is iffy but think he might play well against his home nation.

Latest posts