• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 2023/2024

O’Doyle Rules

Academy Player
How do we see Ireland's season next year? Start of a new era defending a 6N ***le + a tough summer tour to the likely world champions.

There is a rebuild required but not sure it will start with the 6N. Might see one or two players but think we will keep the same team to try keep up the results so it doesn't "appear" we have fallen off a cliff.

Any potential break-out stars?

A rebuild yes but not a major overhaul.
In the next 12 Months - Crowley to get comfortable as being the main 10 - But to develop 2 or 3 reserves.
Backrow - POM is on the way out. We have 6's not worried there. It finding the right mix. Doris needs to stay 8 and Conan is not a 6 so need to get right balance.
Set-Piece - Without POM our lineout is statistically terrible defensively and iffy in attack. We need to improve this as a unit and also get more options.
Back 3 we have players coming through but need to develop them so would be slowly transitioning Lowe out. (Not abandoning him more if he does decline fast we have options) and desperately need a 2nd #15.
Centres - Antoine Frisch needs to play. We need a 2nd player like Ringrose who is a natural 13. Equally Henshaw is becoming very unreliable to be fit and Aki is pushing on so a new 12 or 2 is needed also.

I think Andy Farrells main job is to continue building depth. I'd accept not winning the 6 Nations as traditionally this is the tough year even with fixtures but developing guys.

A rebuild yes but not a major overhaul.
In the next 12 Months - Crowley to get comfortable as being the main 10 - But to develop 2 or 3 reserves.
Backrow - POM is on the way out. We have 6's not worried there. It finding the right mix. Doris needs to stay 8 and Conan is not a 6 so need to get right balance.
Set-Piece - Without POM our lineout is statistically terrible defensively and iffy in attack. We need to improve this as a unit and also get more options.
Back 3 we have players coming through but need to develop them so would be slowly transitioning Lowe out. (Not abandoning him more if he does decline fast we have options) and desperately need a 2nd #15.
Centres - Antoine Frisch needs to play. We need a 2nd player like Ringrose who is a natural 13. Equally Henshaw is becoming very unreliable to be fit and Aki is pushing on so a new 12 or 2 is needed also.

I think Andy Farrells main job is to continue building depth. I'd accept not winning the 6 Nations as traditionally this is the tough year even with fixtures but developing guys.
Actually good point on the defensive lineout - POM is going to be missed quite a lot here.

Impossible to say so far out but do we think 2027 might be a little too soon for the next version? We have a lot of youth coming through but wonder if 2027 is even too soon for the under 20s. Isn't it true the next "batch" are actually even better?

I think Irish fans should take a look at Wales in recent years if worried about depth / finding players. Given their smaller playing pool, they have often thrown in youth/inexperience and found some gems (indeed as we did with Keenan). Sometimes I wonder if Irish rugby's problem is actually letting potentially great players slip through the cracks simply by not having enough slots.

Would love the IRFU to make links with some form of "feeder club" overseas to give players a chance to play + have useful experience.

Latest posts