The IRFU have announced the squad that will attempt to qualify for Rio:

Ireland Men's Sevens Squad 2015
Cian Aherne (Lansdowne /Leinster)
Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
Alan Bennie (Clanwilliam /Munster)
Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
Aaron Cairns (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Tom Daly (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
Matthew D'Arcy (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Dan Goggin (Young Munster/Munster)
Eoghan Grace (Exiles)
Foster Horan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Alex Kane (Exiles)
Terry Kennedy (St Mary's College/ Leinster)
Michael Lawton (Exiles)
Shane Layden (Buccaneers/ Connacht)
Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster)
Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Harry McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
Dave Moore (Blackrock /Leinster)
Luke O'Dea (Shannon/ Munster)
Matthew O'Regan (Exiles)
Mark Roche (Lansdowne/ Leinster)
Steve Toal-Lennon (St Mary's College/ Leinster)
Conor Toolan (St Mary's College/Leinster)
Ciaran Wardle (Exiles)
Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34621.php#.VVsbp_lViko

Delighted for Terry Kennedy as a teammate of mine.

I'll add some thoughts on the players I know later on but the really stange selection that I'm aware of is Tadhg Beirne, he's a secondrow and not one that would be considered exceptionally mobile either.

Was confused seeing Tadhg Beirne too, thought I'd was thinking of the wrong player seems more like an enforcer type lock than a skilful or fast one (do these even exist? ). Will be interesting to see if the IRFU continue to commit to 7's should they fail to qualify, I would hope so as IMO it's one of the best youth development tools out there. Does so much for developing a set of skill which I would argue Irish players sometimes lack.

Ireland Men's Sevens Squad 2015
Cian Aherne (Lansdowne /Leinster) Know he's a winger, I've seen him once or twice before but nothing in particular comes to mind about him.
Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/ Leinster) Secondrow, former Irish u20, strange choice in my mind.
Alan Bennie (Clanwilliam /Munster) Never heard of him.
Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster) Wing/centre. Youngest Leinster player ever. Irish u20s 2 years in a row. Has had some problems with injury. Exceptional athlete and should be well suited to sevens.
Aaron Cairns (Ballynahinch/Ulster) Never heard of him.
Tom Daly (Lansdowne/ Leinster) Inside centre. Big guy, very good ball skills and competent placekicker. He's not exactly a speedster but certainly an able athlete.
Matthew D'Arcy (St. Mary's College/Leinster) Scrum half. Took a year out of the game this year just gone but quite a good player, pretty nippy.
Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne/Leinster) Winger, was an u20 last year. Was a surprise inclusion to the Leinster academy but should be suited for 7's.
Dan Goggin (Young Munster/Munster) Centre, also an u20 last year. Strong guy who has some nice skills.
Eoghan Grace (Exiles) Used to play for Connacht. Can't remember too much about him but has decent size.
Foster Horan (Lansdowne/Leinster) LN7's mate. Centre/winger. Was an Irish u20 a few years ago has tryed various ways to get into the pro game. Good tackle breaker for his size and a decent athlete. Doesn't have the best ball skills.
Alex Kane (Exiles) Never heard of him.
Terry Kennedy (St Mary's College/ Leinster) Fullback/wing. 19, should do well at 7s. Has good pace and elusiveness along with some solid playmaking ability.
Michael Lawton (Exiles) Never heard of him.
Shane Layden (Buccaneers/ Connacht) Former u20. Fullback/wing was highly tipped but injuries and the emergence of Leader etc has seen him fall behind. A very exciting runner.
Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster) Outhalf, don't know too much about him.
Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster) Winger, never seen him play but meant to be an excellent player who just didn't want to play rugby properly until now.
David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster) No idea.
Harry McNulty (UCD/Leinster) No idea.
Dave Moore (Blackrock /Leinster) No idea.
Luke O'Dea (Shannon/ Munster) Winger, looked very exciting when he first broke through and a better prospect than Zebo. Has had a number of issues with injury though.
Matthew O'Regan (Exiles) No idea
Mark Roche (Lansdowne/ Leinster) Centre, pretty powerful guy.
Steve Toal-Lennon (St Mary's College/ Leinster) Winger/centre. Very good athlete, puts his body on the line.
Conor Toolan (St Mary's College/Leinster) Not sure which one he is exactly.
Ciaran Wardle (Exiles) No idea
Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster) Winger/fullback. Solid player.

Just a few thoughts. Also should be noted that the squad will be split into two with a senior 7s squad and a Wolfhounds team.

David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)

Same Ulster U20s side as Gilroy and Skywalker, was an 8 but think he ended up playing 7 for the Ravens - was widely said at the time he was too small for 8. Think he gassed Scholes from a fair way out going from the UAFC so he's gotta be pretty quick.

Was confused seeing Tadhg Beirne too, thought I'd was thinking of the wrong player seems more like an enforcer type lock than a skilful or fast one (do these even exist? ).

Yes, Ireland should try developing one :p (just not Henderson).

Latest posts