• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 'A' To Play Tonga And Argentina Jaguars

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_18463.php

The Irish Rugby Football Union today confirmed that Churchill Cup champions Ireland 'A' will play both Tonga and the Argentina Jaguars in international games during November. The full Tongan international side will be hosted at the home of Ulster Rugby - Ravenhill - on what promises to be another Friday night extravaganza of top class rugby.

Tonga, famed for their hard hitting approach to the game, will visit Belfast on Friday, November 13 as the opening international game in Ireland during November.

The IRFU also confirmed today that Tallaght Stadium in Dublin will host its first ever international rugby match when the Argentina 'A' side, who are known as the Jaguars, will play Ireland 'A' on Friday, November 27, 24 hours before Ireland play World champions South Africa at Croke Park in the GUINNESS Series.

The 'A' internationals are part of a five-match package of games during the traditional November international window with ticket prices for the 'A' games to be announced shortly.

The two 'A' internationals form part of a mouth-watering menu of international rugby in November with the national team already set to play Australia, Fiji and World champions South Africa in the GUINNESS Series 2009.

A limited number of tickets for the three GUINNESS Series games remain on sale - click here.

Commenting on the announcement, IRFU Director of Rugby Eddie Wigglesworth said: "These games will provide a great spectacle for the rugby fans in both Belfast and Tallaght as the Ireland 'A' team will contain some of the top emerging talent in Irish rugby.

"In terms of international experience, this will be vital as the national management continue to develop the depth of the international squads.

"We are particularly excited about holding the first ever international game in Tallaght, something that we were conscious of when we selected the venue in terms of game development.

"The Tallaght Project, which began in 2001, has exposed over 6,000 children and adults to the game in the area to the point where Tallaght Rugby Club has become a focal point in the local community.

"The game against the Argentina Jaguars continues that legacy by bringing international rugby to Tallaght to be enjoyed by current and prospective rugby players and supporters."

INTERNATIONAL RUGBY IN NOVEMBER:

Ireland 'A' Internationals -

Ireland 'A' v Tonga
Friday, November 13
Ravenhill, Belfast (kick-off to be confirmed)

Ireland 'A' v Argentina Jaguars
Friday, November 27
Tallaght Stadium, Dublin (kick-off to be confirmed)

GUINNESS Series 2009 -

Ireland v Australia
Sunday, November 15
Croke Park, Dublin (kick-off 3pm)

Ireland v Fiji
Saturday, November 21
The RDS, Dublin (kick-off 5.15pm)

Ireland v South Africa
Saturday, November 28
Croke Park, Dublin (kick-off 2.30pm)[/b]

Good decision by the IRFU to take a game out of the traditional heartlands. Hopefully playing A games in Tallaght will become a long term project for Ireland and Leinster. The Tallaght strategy is already bearing fruit with Tallaght RFC having been set up in 2002. The club has already provided an Ireland U20 international (Kris Greene a couple of years ago).

On another note, it appears Declan Kidney is being serious about trying to create a bigger pool of players capable of stepping up to international rugby. Add to these fixtures a probable game against the NZ Maori next June. Eddie O'Suliivan paid little more than lip service to A level rugby and it partially contributed to a small group of trusted players with those outside the loop struggling to get in. Just ask Jamie Heaslip and Luke Fitzgerald who weren't deemed good/experienced enough to go to the 2007 World Cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 2 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is Bradley in charge for these games?[/b]
Nothing has been announced yet that I can see. Hopefully he's allowed concentrate on ruining Connacht and isn't allowed near Ireland A! Perhaps it might be a better idea to give Laurie Fisher, Jason Holland, Neil Doak, Jeremy Davidson, Reggie Corrigan or Jono Gibbes a chance to work with Ireland A. See what they can do in a head coaching role. Maybe get promising AIL coaches like Ian Costello and Emmett Farrell involved and see if can contribute at that level too. There are no Magners League games in November as far as I know which is why I suggest it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Oct 2 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 2 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Bradley in charge for these games?[/b]
Nothing has been announced yet that I can see. Hopefully he's allowed concentrate on ruining Connacht and isn't allowed near Ireland A! Perhaps it might be a better idea to give Laurie Fisher, Jason Holland, Neil Doak, Jeremy Davidson, Reggie Corrigan or Jono Gibbes a chance to work with Ireland A. See what they can do in a head coaching role. Maybe get promising AIL coaches like Ian Costello and Emmett Farrell involved and see if can contribute at that level too. There are no Magners League games in November as far as I know which is why I suggest it.
[/b][/quote]

I'd think Eric Elwood could do the job too but of course he's doing the Under 20s job (and very well at that). Though it would be a way of seeing if he's good enough to displace Bradley and take the Connacht job.

I'm a bit annoyed that there's nothing coming to Musgrave Park. Cork is one of the biggist rugby counties in Ireland and produces it's fair share of players and where getting 3 Magners League matches and a couple of friendlies a year from Munster and nothing, not even an Ireland A match from the IRFU. But South Dublin gets something?

Edit: Went on a rant and forgot to mention more important things. Very happy with mr Kidney. making sure that there's plenty of A matches to help develop the plentifull talent! And he's currently off in Australia scouting ahead for the Summer Tour.

Latest posts