• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland A v England Saxons

A

An Tarbh

Well we had the initial members named last week but the squad has been confirmed today now that Kidney has trimmed down the original squad.

Ireland A Team Squad v England Saxons

Backs:
Isaac Boss (Ulster), Darren Cave (Ulster), Ian Dowling (Munster), Gavin Duffy (Connacht), Ian Humphreys (Ulster), Keith Matthews (Connacht), Eoin Reddan (Wasps), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster), Andrew Trimble (Ulster)

Forwards:
John Andress (Exeter), Neil Best (Northampton), Ryan Caldwell (Ulster), Bob Casey (London Irish), Sean Cronin (Connacht), Cian Healy (Leinster), Bernard Jackman (Leinster), Shane Jennings (Leinster), John Muldoon (Connacht), Mike Ross (Harlequins), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Sean O’Brien (Leinster), AN Other

1. Healy
2. Jackman
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. Caldwell
6. Best
7. Jennings
8. Muldoon ©
9. Reddan
10. Humphries
11. Dowling
12. Mathews
13. Cave
14. Trimble
15. Duffy

16. Cronin
17. Andress
18. Casey
19. O'Brien
20. Boss
21. Sexton
22. AN Other

Pretty strong squad :) Is Bradley coach again?

Bradley's coach but if Kidney is picking the team it'll be O'Brien in for Jennings.

John Andress of Exeter (he's named in the A squad) could be on the verge of a move to the Premiership. From the Rugby Times:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I understand he (Dean Richards) has already moved to sign the Exeter Chiefs trio, Fiji-born wing/full back Josh Drauninui, Ireland A prop John Andress and lock Lewis Stevenson on deals for next season.[/b]

Lewis Stevenson is another former Ulster academy player. From what I gather Stevenson is a good ball carrier while Andress is a decent all round prop but has disciplinary issues.

are rte broadcasting this? i know there showing the u20s, prefer to see this one though.

I think this is the one they're broadcasting on the TV, I think it's on RTE.ie that the under 20s is being broadcast.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 1 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think this is the one they're broadcasting on the TV, I think it's on RTE.ie that the under 20s is being broadcast.[/b]

yeah the Saxons match is definitely on RTÉ2 while the under-20 match is being streamed online.

Excellent! Is there going to be an 'Ireland Clubs' International?

I'm interested in finding out who 'AN other' is. Someone like Barry Murphy or will we see a 5/2 split and someone like Chris Henry?

Porbably somebody not picked in the full team for the France match. Bit odd to bring someone in if they haven't been in the training squad thing.

Yeah, there's a clubs international against England (home game, and then we travel to play Scotland.

The Saxons have named Danny Cipriani and Harry Ellis in their squad for the trip to Dublin. Obviously Ellis didn't do enough in the Portugal game to get back into the senior squad, while Cipriani's moment of brilliance against Castres wasn't sufficient for him to get a place.

Here's the England squad for the game.

England Saxons:

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers), Phil Dowson (Newcastle Falcons), Tom Guest (Harlequins), Stuart Hooper (Bath Rugby), Matthew Mullan (Worcester Warriors), David Paice (London Irish), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Will Skinner (Harlequins), George Skivington (London Wasps, captain), Rob Webber (London Wasps), Dave Wilson (Newcastle Falcons), Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby).

Backs: Nick Abendanon (Bath Rugby), Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Cipriani (London Wasps), Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers), Paul Hodgson (London Irish), Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints), Topsy Ojo (London Irish), David Strettle (Harlequins), Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins), Dominic Waldouck (London Wasps).

There`s some real talent in that Saxons squad. The only glaring weakness is at lock,which is similar to the senior squad. Is the game at Donnybrook?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 2 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Obviously Ellis didn't do enough in the Portugal game to get back into the senior squad[/b]

The fact he's still a Saxon when his blatent thuggery(at least twice) should have seen him pick up a second ban in as many months is beyond me.

Hodgeson I presume is back-up scrum half. Watched him on Saturday at Kingsholm and was pretty impressed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 2 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 2 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obviously Ellis didn't do enough in the Portugal game to get back into the senior squad[/b]

The fact he's still a Saxon when his blatent thuggery(at least twice) should have seen him pick up a second ban in as many months is beyond me.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure how he got away with that either, is there any citing system in place for these types of games or would it be down to the RFU themselves to do something about it, in which event they'd obviously do nothing.

I would have thought the IRB should have done something, being an international match (albeit not a test).

To be fair it must be up to the RFU or the guy would be looking at some time out of the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 2 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would have thought the IRB should have done something, being an international match (albeit not a test).[/b]

well the Portugeuse were being given caps for it, so you'd think then that would give the IRB a say over possible disciplinary action.

Cribiani in for the Saxons and Jackman and Dowling out of the Ireland A squad with injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 2 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cribiani in for the Saxons and Jackman and Dowling out of the Ireland A squad with injury.[/b]

McCrea and Fogarty have been called up to replace them. Barry Murphy has also been added to the squad.

Ireland A: 15. Duffy (Connacht), 14. Trimble (Ulster), 13. Cave (Ulster), 12. Matthews (Connacht), 11. McCrea (Ulster), 10. Sexton (Leinster), 9. Reddan (Wasps), 1. Healy (Leinster), 2. Cronin (Connacht), 3. Ross (Harlequins), 4. Casey © (London Irish), 5. Caldwell (Ulster), 6. Best (Northampton), 7. Jennings (Leinster), 8. Muldoon (Connacht)

Replacements: 16. Fogarty (Leinster), 17. Andress (Exeter), 18. Ryan (Munster), 19. O'Brien (Leinster), 20. Boss (Ulster), 21. Humphreys (Ulster), 22. Murphy (Munster)

Flabbergasted that Sexton is starting over Humphreys, nothing against Sexton but he's not playing for Leinster and Humphreys has been in great form for Ulster. Truly bizarre call, thought that him being left in the A squad initially meant he'd be a banker to start, obviously Kidney isn't impressed with what he's seen.

Latest posts