Ireland 'A' v Tonga

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
ireland.png
V
Tonga.png
</div>

There's 1 undecided spot in the Ireland 'A' team to play Tonga in Belfast, coming at hooker, with whoever is left out of the senior squad starting the match on Friday.

Peter Stringer partners Ian Humphreys at half back. Shane Horgan will captain the side. Backrow has a good mix with O'Brien and Hnery alongside the more experienced Best. Hopefully the centre partnership can go well as there's long term potential there.

Ireland 'A'

15. Gavin Duffy (Connacht)
14. Shane Horgan (Leinster) Captain
13. Darren Cave (Ulster)
12. Fergus McFadden (Leinster)
11. Andrew Trimble (Ulster)

10. Ian Humphreys (Ulster)
9. Peter Stringer (Munster)

1. Brett Wilkinson (Connacht)
2. A.N. Other
3. Mike Ross (Leinster)
4. Devin Toner (Leinster)
5. Donnacha Ryan (Munster)
6. Sean O'Brien (Leinster)
7. Neil Best (Northampton Saints)
8. Chris Henry (Ulster)

Replacements:

16. Denis Fogarty (Munster)
17. Bryan Young (Ulster)
18. Dan Tuohy (Ulster)
19. Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster)
20. Isaac Boss (Ulster)
21. Ian Keatley (Connacht)
22. Johne Murphy (Leicester Tigers).

I'm happy with that team. For the most part it rewards form - Stringer starting ahead of Boss being the only exception. I'm most interested in seeing how the Cave and McFadden partnership works out.

Is this gonna be broadcast anywhere? Even on the RTE website stream or something?

The France vs South Africa Match is on the tele but I'd like to have an eye on both

considering it's in Ravenhill I'm surprised BBC NI aren't showing it, especially given the Ulster contingent involved as well. The only stream on Friday on RTÉ is the French match.

That is a very good A side, and every man 1-22 has a point to prove. Wish this would be televised somewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 10 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That is a very good A side, and every man 1-22 has a point to prove. Wish this would be televised somewhere.[/b]

Well now wait a second....what's number 15 ever gonna prove?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"I think anyone playing for Ireland 'A', their ultimate goal is to either achieve representative honours for Ireland or to get back in the senior side as is the case with me," Horgan told IrishRugby.ie.[/b]
http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_18824.php
I hope they smash the Tongans!
I too wish they were televising this match...I'm very interested in seeing it.

Here's the Tonga side for tomorrow's match.

TONGA (v Ireland 'A'): Vungakoto Filimone Lilo; Latu Nagashima Alipate Fatafehi, Sukanaivalu Hufanga, Joseph Vaka, Poakikaifano Vakaloa; Kurt Morath, Kilifi Fangupo; Toma Toke, Semisi Telefoni, Mosese Moala, Kelekolio Paino Hehea (capt), Emosi Kauhenga, Seti Filo, Uelenitoni Fono, Samiu Vahafolau.

Replacements: Willam Mosaati Hafu, Po'alo'i Taula, Penisimani Fakalelu, Lisiate Faaoso, Rodney Mahe, Mahe Fangupo, Raymond Pierre Hola, Manu 'Ahota'e'iloa.

No more Nili Latu....and Hola on the bench.

Just cant see Tonga winning this, kudos to them if they can keep the scores below 30.

21-14 to Ireland A at the break. Wilkinson, Trimble and Cave with Ireland's tries, none of which were converted. Tonga with two converted tries in reply.

IRELAND 'A' 48 TONGA 19, Ravenhill, 7pm

Scorers: Ireland 'A': Tries: Brett Wilkinson, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave 2, Neil Best, Gavin Duffy, Ian Keatley; Cons: Ian Humphreys, Ian Keatley; Pens: Ian Humphreys 3
Tonga: Tries: Vungakoto Filimone Lilo, Sukanaivalu Hufanga, Po'alo'i Taula; Cons: Kurt Morath 2

Enjoying most of the early pressure, Ireland 'A' got off to a strong start at Ravenhill. On his home pitch, Ian Humphreys' pinpoint crossfield kick was taken down by Denis Fogarty, five metres from the line, and he offloaded inside to his fellow front rower Brett Wilkinson who touched down for a third minute lead.

Humphreys missed the conversion from wide out. But after his half-back partner Peter Stringer helped set up a penalty opportunity on 11 minutes, the Ulsterman made it 8-0.

Ireland 'A' continued to look dangerous in possession, with home favourites Andrew Trimble and Darren Cave probing from deep. A second Humphreys penalty, scored in the 17th minute, stretched the hosts' lead.

However, just two minutes later, Tonga showed how dangerous they can be when big full-back Vungakoto Lilo got on the end of a swift move off a scrum to dot down, with Clonakilty clubman Kurt Morath adding the conversion from in front of the posts.

Play was held up, midway through the half, as Tongan prop Toma Toke was stretchered off with an injury, with Po'alo'i Taula replacing him.

On 31 minutes, Ireland 'A' brilliantly struck for their second try and it came from their midfield. Cave popped a reverse pass to Fergus McFadden who offloaded quickly to the supporting Trimble who was able to crash over to the left of the posts.

Humphreys' conversion attempt tailed away and was off target.

Tonga enjoyed a decent spell of possession towards the end of the first half. Latu Nagashima Alipate Fatafehi and Sukanaivalu Hufanga both made great headway into the Irish 22 but the home side recovered well with a strong scrummaging effort from Mike Ross and company.

Back on the attack as the rain began to fall, Ireland 'A' worked their way through for a 39th minute try.

Cave delighted the Ravenhill crowd with a speedy finish in the right corner after taking a pass from flanker Sean O'Brien, who made a terrific lung-bursting run in the build-up. Humphreys failed to add the extras.

But Tonga, against the general run of play, still had enough time to squeeze in another try before half-time.

A quick turnover of possession saw Alipate Fatafehi charge downfield, his attempt pass went to ground but centre Hufanga did well to scoop the ball up and cross for a try in the corner.

Morath's successful conversion closed the gap to 21-14 for half-time.

Three minutes into the second half, Humphreys landed his third penalty of the night to extend the Ireland 'A' side's lead to 10 points. The game opened up further for Michael Bradley's men when Tongan tighthead Mosese Moala was yellow carded in the 48th minute.

Flanker Neil Best was the next player to add his name to the scoresheet. With the Tongan pack under pressure, Best produced a lineout steal, five metres from the visitors' line, and drove over for an unconverted 53rd minute try.

Following Moala's return from the sin-bin, Ireland 'A' chalked up their fifth try when a superb counter attack was finished off with a 25-metre burst to the line by full-back Gavin Duffy. Humphreys' conversion attempt from close to the touchline faded off target.

Ireland 'A' kept the foot on the pedal and they carved out another quick-fire score on 65 minutes when replacement hooker Andy Kyriacou, in his first game in the green jersey, offloaded for Cave to score his second try in the corner.

Humphreys added the extras for 41-14, with the attendance confirmed as 3,777.

Tonga grabbed a consolation try on 71 minutes through replacement prop Po'alo'i Taula, with the conversion missed.

But Ireland 'A' had the final say in this entertaining encounter. Ian Keatley, on as a replacement for Humphreys, intercepted a pass close to the Tongan 22-metre line and scooted in under the posts for a try which he converted himself.

IRELAND 'A': Gavin Duffy; Shane Horgan (capt), Darren Cave, Fergus McFadden, Andrew Trimble; Ian Humphreys, Peter Stringer; Brett Wilkinson, Denis Fogarty, Mike Ross, Donnacha Ryan, Devin Toner, Neil Best, Sean O'Brien, Chris Henry.

Replacements used: Andy Kyriacou for Fogarty (half-time), Kevin McLaughlin for Henry (55 mins), Isaac Boss for Stringer (60), Johne Murphy for Dufy (64), Bryan Young for Wilkinson, Dan Tuohy for Toner, Ian Keatley for Humphreys (all 69).

TONGA: Vungakoto Filimone Lilo; Latu Nagashima Alipate Fatafehi, Sukanaivalu Hufanga, Joseph Vaka, Poakikaifano Vakaloa; Kurt Morath, Kilifi Fangupo; Toma Toke, Semisi Telefoni, Mosese Moala, Kelekolio Paino Hehea (capt), Emosi Kauhenga, Seti Filo, Uelenitoni Fono, Samiu Vahafolau.

Replacements used: Po'alo'i Taula for Toke (23 mins), Willam Mosaati Hafu for Telefoni (half-time), Manu 'Ahota'e'iloa for Hufanga (53), Raymond Pierre Hola for Alipate Fatafehi (55), Lisiate Faaoso for Filo (61), Rodney Mahe for Fono (69), Mahe Fangupo for K Fangupo (71).

sounds like fun. Do you think they'll show the highlights somewhere at some stage??

Theory: They didn't show the match on tele or stream to avoid any Contraversy over the national anthem?

It was in Northern Ireland. Did they play God Save the Queen?

McGuirk said they'd be showing it tomoro with their coverage of the Fiji Scotland match

I presume the IRFU tried to dodge a bullet and only Ireland's Call was played. Since the IRFU agreed a long time ago that the anthem of the country they're playing in should be played (ie God Save The Queen in Norn Iron), I find it strange that they don't adhere to it. Hopefully people on this island are over sectarian rubbish and it wouldn't be an issue.

On another note, do anthems get played for A games? Since this was the full Tonga side, I think they were entitled to have their anthem played but if it was Ireland A v Tonga A, as far as I'm aware, there'd be no anthems.

this was was played by ireland in ireland not GB.ONLY the irish anthem should be played for an irish team if the game is played in the 6 occupied counties or in the 26 free counties. :p

Oh Christ.........YOU'VE MADE ME GO CAPS LOCKS.

ITS A PART OF GB AS LONG AS THAT IS THE DEMOCRATIC WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Nov 13 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
this was was played by ireland in ireland not GB.ONLY the irish anthem should be played for an irish team if the game is played in the 6 occupied counties or in the 26 free counties. :p[/b]

Eh...no.

I don't like idea of God save the queen been sung for an Irish team but some of the Ulster player consider themselves part of the UK. And while it's in Northern Ireland they're meant to sing that National Anthem.

Latest posts