• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland and Scotland

Q

QLD

With new teams in France and now Wales. Are there talks of bringing in teams to Ireland or Scotland? If there were to be, where would they have them.. seeing how the Dragons and Crusaders aren't in there capital cities Paris or Cardiff respectively?

Would be great for the league, imagine having a league with 5 different countries competing!

There's barely much interest for club rugby union in Scotland, you'd be lucky if you got 1 man let alone the dog to go to a superleague match.

As for Ireland there's plenty of possible areas where they could build up a fan base, i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Belfast but I doubt the interest is there to be honest.

Rumours of a team from Scotland get a big push have been mentioned. I personally think they should work on Ireland following on from their massive success at the world cup.

All me relatives are from Ireland and their union fans and aren't that interested. My dad hates it too. Wasn't much interest from most Irish people but I think its worth a shot.

We gotta get them into State of Origin! So many expats come here and get into league after watching it, no joke.

We need to work on the principle that there's nothing wrong with liking both codes. It's not the 1980's anymore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 12 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We need to work on the principle that there's nothing wrong with liking both codes. It's not the 1980's anymore.[/b]

Mate thats true. But I think its more league fans that wont support both codes, 99% of fans on LU absolutely hate union!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 12 2008, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We need to work on the principle that there's nothing wrong with liking both codes. It's not the 1980's anymore.[/b]

I don't think it's a case of Irish people not liking league, not saying you were insinuating that either, but when union is the 4th most popular sport in Ireland, you're already starting off at a disadvantage compared to other places.

Exactly, Rugby League has no exposure here. There was a small bandwagon after Ireland beat Samoa, but it's gone and I doubt we will see it again for another 5 years or so.

there was similar talks when the world cup was on in 2000 and Ireland got to the quarter finals and ran England close but again nothing came of it and again to be honest I expect much of the same this time round.

I agree. I can't see Rugby League becoming big in Ireland in the next ten years anyway, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

And that will continue to happen whilst the RFL do nothing about it. My idea is simple - we have got the sport back into Wales, no small part in my view, because of Millennium Magic. So, instead of waiting for the World Cup results, the RFL bungle off and book the Magic weekend for Murrayfield. The sport is negligible in both Scotland or Ireland, but I think that hosting the magic weekend at Croke Park or Lansdowne Road would have been a good start.

Alas, not to be.

Problem is we're not even sure when the next world cup will even be held and as for a super league team with the current expansion it's hard to see an avenue for an Irish team or a Scottish team, it not's just a case of lumping together a team and saying there you go off to super league, you'd need years to build up a team, they'd have to prove themselves at a lower level of competition before being given a Super League license by which time any interest from the world cup will have well and truly evaporated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 12 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And that will continue to happen whilst the RFL do nothing about it. My idea is simple - we have got the sport back into Wales, no small part in my view, because of Millennium Magic. So, instead of waiting for the World Cup results, the RFL bungle off and book the Magic weekend for Murrayfield. The sport is negligible in both Scotland or Ireland, but I think that hosting the magic weekend at Croke Park or Lansdowne Road would have been a good start.

Alas, not to be.[/b]

It's a good idea but not one the supporters would warm to I'd imagine, it would certainly good for increasing exposure of rugby league here but with Cardiff and Edinburgh you can get there far easier than you can to Dublin and you'd need plenty of fans to travel before the locals would fill Lansdowne. Croker wouldn't be an option I'm afraid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 12 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mate thats true. But I think its more league fans that wont support both codes, 99% of fans on LU absolutely hate union![/b]

It's a problem that both codes suffer from. Union less so than league. I used to be like that myself, but buying this place has changed my outlook on the other code. I'm going to my first competetive game of union with Teh Mite in January. It doesn't mean I'll forget what union in England has done and tried to do to my sport, purely based on the fact that my sport is working class, but it's time to move on. Nobody achieves anything by disliking the other code for no reason other than the fact "they used to hate each other."

The clientelle on LU is embarassing by the way. If people ever wonder why I have such high stands for TRF, that's why.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 12 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a good idea but not one the supporters would warm to I'd imagine, it would certainly good for increasing exposure of rugby league here but with Cardiff and Edinburgh you can get there far easier than you can to Dublin and you'd need plenty of fans to travel before the locals would fill Lansdowne. Croker wouldn't be an option I'm afraid.[/b]

There was talk in 2005 that the 2006 Challenge Cup would take place in Dublin, but it never happened. I don't know what capacity Lansdowne is but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be big enough for a CC final, which regularly gets crowds of 70,000 - 80,000 every year. The idea of playing games there for one weekend is a good one for me. Sure, there's travelling but I think for most people it's easier to hop on a plane rather than drive/train it to Murrayfield/Millennium.

I would love to see it given a go. The Irish are so passionate about their sport. If we could get a bit of interest, it would be superb. The Magic weekend has a big effect though. Just ask getofmeland, RC, SaintsFan_Webby and Cymro.

PersonallyI don't see either Scotland or Ireland as realistic choices for a SL franchise although I do expect to see a Scottish NL side in the not too distant future.
Also, unless there are plans for conferences in SL somewhere down the line I don't see how they could be shoehorned in without the loss of traditional clubs who have been and continue to be the lifeblood of the game for over 100 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 12 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 12 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate thats true. But I think its more league fans that wont support both codes, 99% of fans on LU absolutely hate union!
[/b][/quote]

It's only since the game went 'openly' professional that I took an interest in RU. I absolutely love the game now and consider myself to be a 'Rugby' fan rather than a RL or RU fan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 13 2008, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's barely much interest for club rugby union in Scotland, you'd be lucky if you got 1 man let alone the dog to go to a superleague match.

As for Ireland there's plenty of possible areas where they could build up a fan base, i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Belfast but I doubt the interest is there to be honest.[/b]

Actually, as St Helens mentioned, they're planning to set up a pro side in Glasgow to compete in the National Leagues - I'll probably play for the Academy side if it all gets set up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 13 2008, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I absolutely agree.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 12 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Problem is we're not even sure when the next world cup will even be held and as for a super league team with the current expansion it's hard to see an avenue for an Irish team or a Scottish team, it not's just a case of lumping together a team and saying there you go off to super league, you'd need years to build up a team, they'd have to prove themselves at a lower level of competition before being given a Super League license by which time any interest from the world cup will have well and truly evaporated.[/b]
I agree almost entirely. If an Irish team was thrown together to compete in Super League, it would be doomed to failure given the current appetite for the sport in Ireland. While there was some reporting on the World Cup, it often came buried deep in the sports bulletins and was quickly forgotten.

That's not to say that rugby league will never take off in Ireland. For it to grow, the RLIF needs to develop a proper international calender. At present, the best that can be said about the international calender for non-Tri Nations teams is that it's haphazard. At worst, and probably more accurate, is that it's virtually nonexistent. When will the Ireland team that played in the World Cup play as a unit again? How will they build on the momentum generated by beating Samoa? Without regular international competition, the impetus gained from the 2008 World Cup will wither away, much like in 2000. Ireland need regular international competition against their peers in this part of the world (Wales, Scotland, Russia, Lebanon) to help the sport progress. More games equals more exposure to the sport and the possibility of more players making the jump to professional RL in England, Wales and France.

That will set the ball rolling for the sport to gain a small foothold over here. In my opinion, for things to move further than that, the RLI should look to develop a relationship with the IRFU. It's a long way down the road but such a link up could be mutually beneficial. Union is a winter sport and thus, grounds such as Musgrave Park, Ravenhill, Donnybrook and Thomond Park will be vacant for 3 months each summer. Would it not be advisable for the IRFU (or the respective branches) to look to maximise revenue via using one or more of these stadia 12 months of the year? The IRFU could tap into Super League's growing revenue - the French market is growing with Les Catalans in SL and Toulouse bound to follow in 2012, the Welsh market has been opened via Millenium Magic and the Celtic Crusaders whereas progress will hopefully be made in Scotland via Murrayfield Magic. RLI could tap into the IRFU's playing base and facilities. I believe it's worth exploring a link up between the organizations but fully doubt it will happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 9 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 12 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem is we're not even sure when the next world cup will even be held and as for a super league team with the current expansion it's hard to see an avenue for an Irish team or a Scottish team, it not's just a case of lumping together a team and saying there you go off to super league, you'd need years to build up a team, they'd have to prove themselves at a lower level of competition before being given a Super League license by which time any interest from the world cup will have well and truly evaporated.[/b]
I agree almost entirely. If an Irish team was thrown together to compete in Super League, it would be doomed to failure given the current appetite for the sport in Ireland. While there was some reporting on the World Cup, it often came buried deep in the sports bulletins and was quickly forgotten.

That's not to say that rugby league will never take off in Ireland. For it to grow, the RLIF needs to develop a proper international calender. At present, the best that can be said about the international calender for non-Tri Nations teams is that it's haphazard. At worst, and probably more accurate, is that it's virtually nonexistent. When will the Ireland team that played in the World Cup play as a unit again? How will they build on the momentum generated by beating Samoa? Without regular international competition, the impetus gained from the 2008 World Cup will wither away, much like in 2000. Ireland need regular international competition against their peers in this part of the world (Wales, Scotland, Russia, Lebanon) to help the sport progress. More games equals more exposure to the sport and the possibility of more players making the jump to professional RL in England, Wales and France.

That will set the ball rolling for the sport to gain a small foothold over here. In my opinion, for things to move further than that, the RLI should look to develop a relationship with the IRFU. It's a long way down the road but such a link up could be mutually beneficial. Union is a winter sport and thus, grounds such as Musgrave Park, Ravenhill, Donnybrook and Thomond Park will be vacant for 3 months each summer. Would it not be advisable for the IRFU (or the respective branches) to look to maximise revenue via using one or more of these stadia 12 months of the year? The IRFU could tap into Super League's growing revenue - the French market is growing with Les Catalans in SL and Toulouse bound to follow in 2012, the Welsh market has been opened via Millenium Magic and the Celtic Crusaders whereas progress will hopefully be made in Scotland via Murrayfield Magic. RLI could tap into the IRFU's playing base and facilities. I believe it's worth exploring a link up between the organizations but fully doubt it will happen.
[/b][/quote]

I agree; we really need to get some kind of European tournament going. Something like - Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England A, France A (or just France if they aren't in the Tri-Nations), Russia, Serbia and Lebanon. At the very least, we need more test matches between the home nations.

Latest posts