ireland rugby league

Conal

First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
ah a question for the rugby league folk of the forum
the rugby league clubs in ireland what standard are they compared to english league and if possible what standard of rugby would it be compared to english rugby union?

as when i move back to northern ireland in a few years and was wondering what the league standard is like to play

Don't know much about the League end of things down here...I had a mate from Wicklow who would play a bit in the summer..from what I gathered there was a good few teams floating around but not anywhere near the level that Union enjoys.

My knowledge is very limited but from what I gather it's amateur all amateur, local clubs
Most of the national team are English players with Irish family, so mainly superleague players

There's the top level ("Ireland Elite league" or something like that) then your standard club level lower down, though they're fairly sparse
I think even the "elite" clubs are like your local club where you turn up and train

I think Northern Ireland has it's own RL body and league though

Edit:
Yeah, Wikipedia informs me that there's 6 clubs in NI playing in their own Northern Irish conference

There's a piece about it here:
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s680/st144442.htm

why thankyou olyy and number 7

any idea what division you could draw a comparision to in england???

In Munster this year I've been helping out with ***ans training in Limerick. They won all Ireland last year but there is 4 teams in Munster and you play everyone home and away. Standard is decent here