• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Rugby Sevens?

J

Jockstap

I've been looking up Ireland's Sevens Team to see how they've been doing for the last couple of years and was dissapointed to see that compared to the other Six Nations Teams, including Italy, we're crap. Can anybody give me a little insight in the reason for this? I mean surely we should at least be better than Italy.

Struggling to finance Connacht, cant see them investing anything in 7's.

Think its simply a matter of money.

Hi,im also wondering why...Could anyboby here post more further explanations bout the team? Thanks in advance!

Nothing much to say really. People who aren't getting much time at their provinces get asked to play 7s for a few months and that's what they do. It's not a very well thought out system to be honest.

I figure, the best chance they actually have is to somehow find a sh**load of private investment (don't ask how in this economic climate) so that they can contract players on seperate contracts to the IRFU or pay the IRFU for longterm loans (1 year minimum) of players.

Backs and flankers from the acedemies seems a good option and they'd probably nick the odd player like Barry Murphy or Fionn Carr who are a) squad rotation players or (B] not in a happy place coughConnacht'cough

Hmmmm maybe if the 7's was to become an olympic sport ........................

Watch this space (in about 10 years)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Sep 11 2009, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmmmm maybe if the 7's was to become an olympic sport ........................

Watch this space (in about 10 years)[/b]
My thoughts exactly. When this does become an olympic sport this month, I think several countries like Ireland will have to pump some money into that programme. Also, expect the USA to pump money into it. The system is set up here in America well, we just need $$$ so we can pay these people to train nonstop like every other olympic athlete. By the way, I'm available for sevens you ********, don't hate on me because I'm a forward with a few extra pounds!

Well, 7s has become an olympic sport now, so expect the Irish team to beat Italy.

Latest posts