Ireland Squad Announced

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by feicarsinn, Oct 27, 2009.

1. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

http://www.scrum.com/ireland/rugby/story/1...4.html?CMP=RSS2

Ireland Squad: Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Neil Best (Northampton Saints), Tony Buckley (Munster), Darren Cave (Ulster), Tom Court (Ulster), Sean Cronin (Connacht)*, Leo Cullen (Leinster), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), Gavin Duffy (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Stephen Ferris (Ulster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Jerry Flannery (Munster), John Fogarty (Leinster)*, John Hayes (Munster), Cian Healy (Leinster)*, Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Chris Henry (Ulster)*, Marcus Horan (Munster), Shane Horgan (Leinster), Robert Kearney (Leinster), Denis Leamy (Munster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster)*, Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Paul O'Connell (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Ronan O'Gara (Munster), Tomas O'Leary (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster)*, Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster)*, Peter Stringer (Munster), Devin Toner (Leinster)*, Andrew Trimble (Ulster), David Wallace (Munster), Paddy Wallace (Ulster), Brett Wilkinson (Connacht)*.

Not too many surprises really. The main omissions would be Ian Humphreys, Fionn Carr and Kevin McLaughlin but they probably wouldn't have been in the 22 anyways so meh. Strongest team would probably be:

15 Kearney
    14 Fitzgerald
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 Wallace
    11 Bowe
    10 Sexton
    9 O'Leary
    8 Heislip
    7 Wallace (would have liked to see Jennings get a go by thats the ERC for ya)
    6 Ferris
    5 O'Connell
    4 Cullen
    3 Healy
    2 Flannery
    1 Hayes

Subs:
    16 Ross
    17 Cronin
    18 O'Callaghan
    19 Best
    20 Reddan
    21 O'Gara
    22 Earls

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Very frustrating to see a squad that large not contain the 3 players you mentioned, Humphreys is the one I can understand the most as Wallace can cover out half as well, but still think he should have been on the bench for the Fiji match. No doubt all 3 will start for the As or whatever ridiculously gimicky name they come up for them, against Tonga and the Jaguars.

Duffy always baffles me, he won't ever get near the starting XV so what's the point in picking him over someone like Carr who does have a far better chance of starting for Ireland than Duffy.

Think Cullen is there purely to be on the bench, can't see him starting despite DOC's poor form, similar story with O'Gara and Sexton, I see ROG starting against the Aussies but not against South Africa, despite it being the glaringly obvious thing to do.

4. Ireland: 3 internationals, name a 39-man squad.

Wales: 4 internationals, name a 29-man squad. MADNESS!

I think Ireland's got the right idea. Even if people don't play, they'll have so experience of training at intenrational level. Gatland refuses to do that. Idiot.

5. monkeypigeon

monkeypigeon Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 27 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That 39 will also provide most of the players (except for maybe an extra call up here or there) for the 'A' internationals against Argentina Jaguars and the Tongan first team.

Em, time for some Lists.

Happy List
    Darren Cave
    Sean Cronin
    Chris Henry
    Fergus McFadden
    Devin Toner
    Andrew 'Can't belief he's found form' Trimble
    Cian Healy
    Sean O'Brien

WTF List
    Gavin Duffy (and that's pretty much it).

Unhappy List
    Niall Ronan
    McLoughlin
    Willie Falloon
    Fionn Carr
    Ian Humphreys
    Johne Murphy

First Team and 'A' Team pending.

6. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("hugonaut")</div>

I saw the above on LF.com which makes easier reading than a list of players.

Some players can count themselves very lucky. Gavin Duffy is only included due to Geordan Murphy's injury. Fergus McFadden is in and out of the Leinster squad and is lucky to be included as a centre when Tommy Bowe can play there. Peter Stringer is a bench option for a Munster team playing average rugby whereas Isaac Boss is dominating in a resurgent Ulster side. Sean O'Brien has played well but not as well as Willie Faloon. Denis Leamy hasn't been as good as Alan Quinlan but gets in due to the age of the latter player in my opinion. I don't understand how fringe players like Donnacha Ryan and Devin Toner are ahead of Bob Casey and Ryan Caldwell in the pecking order. Brett Wilkinson isn't required when there are three other looseheads in the squad.

I'm quite surprised room hasn't been found for Ian Humphreys but the challenge for him now is continuing in his rich wein of form so that he can't be left out of the 6 Nations squad.

Overall, I can't complain about the squad when there are 9 uncapped players there. The two new hookers, Henry, Sexton and Healy look best placed to win caps. Wilkinson, Toner, McFadden and O'Brien will likely have to bide their time.

7. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 27 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Agree with you Tarbh about most comments but been fair to DOC he isn't playing that bad and is on better form than Paulie.
    But glad to see McFadden in squad as he really is good player.

My starting 15 would be:
    15. Kearney
    14. Earls
    13. BOD
    12. Fitzgearld
    11. Bowe
    10. Sexton <_< (Don't like him personally, but he a star in making)
    9. O'Leary
    8. Heaslip
    7. Wallace
    6. Ferris
    5. Paulie
    4. DOC
    3. Hayes
    2. Flannery
    1. Healy
    16. Cronin
    17. Horan
    18. Cullen (Age counts against Cullen to start as Kidney is shrewd like that and I won't be surprised if he pick D. Ryan here even)
    19. Leamy/N.Best
    20. Should be Reddan but Stringer will be selected
    21. Will be ROG but I'd pick P.Wallace as he can play centre also or D'Arcy
    22. D'Arcy/McFadden

Reason I selected Fitz at 12 was been honest in next few years Fitzgearld & Earls are destined to be Irish centre pairing and Luke has good defence for 12.

8. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 27 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Court for versatility, like in the 6 Nations.

Ireland A:

1. Horan
    2. Fogarty
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. Toner
    6. Leamy
    7. O'Brien
    8. Henry
    9. Stringer
    10. Humphries
    11. Trimble
    12. D'arcy
    13. Cave
    14. Horgan
    15. Duffy

16. Kryiacou
    17. Buckley
    18. Caldwell
    19. Faloon
    20. F.Murphy
    21. Keatley
    22. McFadden

bear in mind Ireland A are playing against proper teams, not other A teams, and that the matches are on the same weekends as the tests. So hopefully it will be a proper second XV not a development XV, and will be used to give the fringe players gametime should a matchday 22 player get injured.

Wouldn't it be lovely to see ROG play for Ireland A?

BTW, have you heard Ireland A are to be renamed soon?

9. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

Well we can't be the Wolfhounds because league got that so I think we should steal from good old Age of Empires. Go Irish Woad Raiders!

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Couldn't Ireland 'A' just be known as 'USA Eagles'?

11. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

I don't geddit.

12. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Explain <_<

13. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

I dont get it either but I presume they cant as .......... eh ............ the USA have that name already.

We could be called the Irish eagles though. Hows that?

14. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

Or the Irish US Eagles?

15. durbutter

durbutter Guest

How about Bradly's Angels?

No?

16. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

For anyone interested the squad split is:
    Leinster: 15
    Munster: 13
    Ulster: 6
    Connacht: 3
    Ospreys: 1
    Northampton: 1

17. Jockstap

Jockstap Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 28 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    ? :huh:

18. shtove

shtove Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 28 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Teh's ROG obsession.

Someone mentioned Isaac Boss as surprise omission. Hadn't thought of him. How's he playing?

19. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

Very well by all accounts. I suppose Kidney thought he already has a physical 9 in Tomas O'Leary. Anyways I never really thought Isaac Boss was really up to international rugby.

20. Lads would ye agree Denis Fogarty is unlucky too not to get in ahead of his brother ....

Also, I admit haven't seen Saints alot, is Downey unlucky to be omitted like I believe he'd be a more physical choice at 12 (an unsure position) than Duffy (I know he not a 12) who offers very little to the squad.

21. shtove

shtove Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 29 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    The AB posters on here wet themselves laughing when he scored under the posts against the Saffers!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!