• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squads Named For Tonga & Australia

J

Jockstap

The original 39 man panel for the Guinness Series which was named last week has been divided into two separate squads with 31 players named in the senior squad, which includes further player additions to the original panel.
A 22 man Ireland A squad that will play Tonga in Ravenhill next Friday (13 November) will be in camp in Belfast and the full team to play Tonga will be announced on Tuesday, 10 November.

The A squad has one remaining place to be filled in the hooker position. Sean Cronin, John Fogarty and Jerry Flannery have all been retained with the senior squad as Flannery continues to recover from a calf injury, which has progressed well during this week.

Overall there are no major injury concerns within the squad that finished the week long training camp in Limerick, with all members taking some part in training today. The only exceptions were Denis Leamy, Paddy Wallace and Tomas O'Leary who were recovering from colds.

The update regarding Marcus Horan is that it has been confirmed that he will not be available for the Guinness Series games in November. Following further tests this week, Horan underwent a routine medical procedure today (6 November) and will undergo a period of rest over the next number of weeks. It is expected that he will be available to Munster and Ireland after the New Year.

Ireland Squad (31) v Australia
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Bob Casey (London Irish)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Ian Dowling (Shannon/Munster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
John Fogarty (De La Salle Palmerston/Leinster)
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Denis Hurley (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster)
Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Niall Ronan (Shannon/Munster)
Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

Ireland A Squad (22) v Tonga
Neil Best (Northampton)
Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)
Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
Denis Fogarty (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)
Ian Humphreys (Ballymena/Ulster)
Ian Keatley (Galwegians/Connacht)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Kevin McLaughlin (UCD/Leinster)
Johne Murphy (Leicester)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Michael Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)
Bryan Young (Ballymena/Ulster)
A.N. Other

15. Duffy
14. Murphy
13. McFadden
12. Cave
11. Horgan
10. Humphreys
9. Boss/Stringer
8. Henry
7. McLaughlin/O'Brien
6. Best
5. Toner
4. Ryan
3. Wilkinson
2. Hurley
1. Ross

Would be a hell on an 'A' team. No Stringer in the main squad which is about time to be honest. Surprised to see Best, Horgan, either Ryan or Toner and Ross not retained in the main squad but overall quite happy with the selection.

I wonder what Fionn Carr did wrong. He has 7 or 8 tries already this season to go with a bucketload last season yet isn't deemed one of the best 53 players in Ireland. Strange.

Also, Dennis Fogarty ahead of Bernard Jackman?

Can't quibble with the squads too much. Players like Dowling, Ronan, Casey and Muldoon are only with the first squad to hold the tackle bags.

thought Carr and Faloon might be good for a shot with the A team but not to be. Surprised to see Hurley in the senior squad, thought he'd definitely start the A games. Won't get a look in with the main squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 6 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wonder what Fionn Carr did wrong. He has 7 or 8 tries already this season to go with a bucketload last season yet isn't deemed one of the best 53 players in Ireland. Strange.

Also, Dennis Fogarty ahead of Bernard Jackman?

Can't quibble with the squads too much. Players like Dowling, Ronan, Casey and Muldoon are only with the first squad to hold the tackle bags.[/b]

Because Jackman is older and doesn't start for Leinster?

Agree about Downling, Casey and Muldoon but think you're being a but harsh on Niall Ronan. In a fast game he's a very good player. Fiji nwould be ideal for him.

The absence of Carr is something very special altogether. Any chance Micheal Bradley doesn't get on with him and is keeping him out?

I saw the Munster A v Ulster A match today. Hurley and Jones were very good. especially Hurley. Still don't think Jones should be in that squad though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 6 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15. Duffy
14. Murphy
13. McFadden
12. Cave
11. Horgan
10. Humphreys
9. Boss/Stringer
8. Henry
7. McLaughlin/O'Brien
6. Best
5. Toner
4. Ryan
3. Wilkinson
2. Hurley
1. Ross

Would be a hell on an 'A' team. No Stringer in the main squad which is about time to be honest. Surprised to see Best, Horgan, either Ryan or Toner and Ross not retained in the main squad but overall quite happy with the selection.[/b]

Who's the Hurley that you have starting at Hooker?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 6 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Agree about Downling, Casey and Muldoon but think you're being a but harsh on Niall Ronan. In a fast game he's a very good player. Fiji nwould be ideal for him.

The absence of Carr is something very special altogether. Any chance Micheal Bradley doesn't get on with him and is keeping him out?

I saw the Munster A v Ulster A match today. Hurley and Jones were very good. especially Hurley. Still don't think Jones should be in that squad though.[/b]
Jackman has more Heineken Cup appearances and just as many starts as Fogarty in that competition this year. Coupled with the fact that Fogarty can't throw the ball straight and Jackman has prior international experience, I think Jackman should be ahead of him. I can only assume Kidney has 2011 in mind when choosing Fogarty.

Ronan is a tackle bag holder. He wasn't named in the original 39 man squad so he's being called up for the experience rather than due to having a realistic shot at playing. I'm not sure he'll be a contender at international level from now on. He's just not physical enough.

Good to hear about Hurley and Jones. I've been impressed with Hurley on the wing this year. Jones is a good bit away from international honours but could be in with an outside shot at making the 2011 squad given Dempsey and Murphy's age and Duffy's averageness. Hurley has a shot at taking Shane Horgan's place in the 30 man squad for New Zealand if he can force his way into the Munster reckoning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 6 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 6 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the Munster A v Ulster A match today. Hurley and Jones were very good. especially Hurley. Still don't think Jones should be in that squad though.[/b]
Jackman has more Heineken Cup appearances and just as many starts as Fogarty in that competition this year. Coupled with the fact that Fogarty can't throw the ball straight and Jackman has prior international experience, I think Jackman should be ahead of him. I can only assume Kidney has 2011 in mind when choosing Fogarty.

Ronan is a tackle bag holder. He wasn't named in the original 39 man squad so he's being called up for the experience rather than due to having a realistic shot at playing. I'm not sure he'll be a contender at international level from now on. He's just not physical enough.

Good to hear about Hurley and Jones. I've been impressed with Hurley on the wing this year. Jones is a good bit away from international honours but could be in with an outside shot at making the 2011 squad given Dempsey and Murphy's age and Duffy's averageness. Hurley has a shot at taking Shane Horgan's place in the 30 man squad for New Zealand if he can force his way into the Munster reckoning.
[/b][/quote]

The Heineken Cup is just 2 games so bit of an odd point really. There'd be no point in having J.Fogarty and the person who he keeps on the bench as number one and number two (like TOL and Stringer last year...except at least they were VERy different players).

I'm Hoping that Sean Cronin starts if Fla is out anyway. I'd rather him getting experience than wasting it on Fogarty (either of them actually) or Jackman. I think he'll be challanging Best and Flannery when they';re both back and may be the third hooker brought along in 2011.

I've come around to your thinking about Niall Ronan. Handy player to have around but of course he'll never be a starter.

I'm waiting to see Sexton outclass O'Gara at Flyhalf on the international Stage. Please, oh Please, give him that opportunity!!! O'Gara is playing like shite right now.

Agreed Sexton has great chance to out-perform ROG but maybe this what ROG needs a bit of competition because it all been too easy lately for him (in terms of challenge for 10 jersey)

Lads, I seriously think Niall Ronan will get game time against Fiji and if he has stormer that could push Jennings down the pecking order like who'd have though Donnacha Ryan would've got cap against Argentina.

Think fact Jackman is at wrong end of his playing days is how J.Fogarty got in as A squad is mainly for players to gradually develop up.

Thought Best would get in ahead of Muldoon in senior squad but wonder is this down to Muldoon playing under IRFU ???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 7 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads, I seriously think Niall Ronan will get game time against Fiji and if he has stormer that could push Jennings down the pecking order like who'd have though Donnacha Ryan would've got cap against Argentina.[/b]
I don't think so. In the openside flanker pcking order, Ronan is behind Wallace, Jennings and O'Brien. Neil Best would also be picked ahead of him there.

Ronan is a good player and has been a very useful member of the Munster squad (and Leinster squad before that). He also performed admirably against the USA and Canada during the summer. I shudder to think what a top class backrow would do to him though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 7 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 7 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lads, I seriously think Niall Ronan will get game time against Fiji and if he has stormer that could push Jennings down the pecking order like who'd have though Donnacha Ryan would've got cap against Argentina.[/b]
I don't think so. In the openside flanker pcking order, Ronan is behind Wallace, Jennings and O'Brien. Neil Best would also be picked ahead of him there.

Ronan is a good player and has been a very useful member of the Munster squad (and Leinster squad before that). He also performed admirably against the USA and Canada during the summer. I shudder to think what a top class backrow would do to him though.
[/b][/quote]
I seriously don't think O'Brien ahead of Ronan and don't be surprised if there is Ronan does get game as he is performin well and yes he vital player for us and has been on verge og getting into 1st team.

But my main point for thist thinking is Kidney is a funny customer :) He won't make too many changes to that squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 7 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I seriously don't think O'Brien ahead of Ronan and don't be surprised if there is Ronan does get game as he is performin well and yes he vital player for us and has been on verge og getting into 1st team.[/b]
O'Brien's selection in the full strength 39 man squad ahead of Ronan's selection as a tackle bag holder this time suggests the Leinster player is ahead of the Lady in Red. :p

I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if Ronan is picked ahead of O'Brien. O'Brien has a long way to go to be an effective international player (his hands are at best average) but the raw materials are there for him to be a far better player than Ronan ever will be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 7 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 7 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seriously don't think O'Brien ahead of Ronan and don't be surprised if there is Ronan does get game as he is performin well and yes he vital player for us and has been on verge og getting into 1st team.[/b]
O'Brien's selection in the full strength 39 man squad ahead of Ronan's selection as a tackle bag holder this time suggests the Leinster player is ahead of the Lady in Red. :p

I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if Ronan is picked ahead of O'Brien. O'Brien has a long way to go to be an effective international player (his hands are at best average) but the raw materials are there for him to be a far better player than Ronan ever will be.
[/b][/quote]
Well call him lady in red all you want he there like if O'Brien is ahead he should be in squad as he isn't capped and experience would benefit him more.
Just think that he will get game vs Fiji.

Lady In Red made lol :lol:

Jennings is suspended, and O'Brien isn't really a 7. It's a toss up between Ronan and best should Wally go down (god forbid), but I think Best's experience would see him get the nod.

What kind of team do you think we will see against Fiji? I'd like to see Fitz play 12 in this one (Or better yet James Downey) as Wallace and D'arcy are both pushing on. Sexton and Reddan to start at 10, hopefully Jonny will start all the tests although It's likely ROG will start v Aus. O'Connell captain, BOD rested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 7 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Jennings is suspended, and O'Brien isn't really a 7. It's a toss up between Ronan and best should Wally go down (god forbid), but I think Best's experience would see him get the nod.

What kind of team do you think we will see against Fiji? I'd like to see Fitz play 12 in this one (Or better yet James Downey) as Wallace and D'arcy are both pushing on. Sexton and Reddan to start at 10, hopefully Jonny will start all the tests although It's likely ROG will start v Aus. O'Connell captain, BOD rested.[/b]

Outside backs vs Fiji (for me)

11. Earls
12. Fitzgerald
13. Bowe
14. Horgan/Hurley
15. Kearney

After seeing Hurley have a great match against Ulster A (Nagusa was his opposite number so it wasn't a walk in the park) I'd love to see him play. He made loads of ground in the first half and scored a good try in the second. Moving him to the Wing was a brilliant idea.

It's called the 'how many wings can you fit on your team at once game?'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 7 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 7 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of team do you think we will see against Fiji? I'd like to see Fitz play 12 in this one (Or better yet James Downey) as Wallace and D'arcy are both pushing on. Sexton and Reddan to start at 10, hopefully Jonny will start all the tests although It's likely ROG will start v Aus. O'Connell captain, BOD rested.[/b]

Outside backs vs Fiji (for me)

11. Earls
12. Fitzgerald
13. Bowe
14. Horgan/Hurley
15. Kearney

After seeing Hurley have a great match against Ulster A (Nagusa was his opposite number so it wasn't a walk in the park) I'd love to see him play. He made loads of ground in the first half and scored a good try in the second. Moving him to the Wing was a brilliant idea.
[/b][/quote]
I'd go for a similar backline. At 12 I'd play whoever loses out of the opening test between Wallace and D'arcy.

15. Kearney (off after 50 for Cave)
14. Fitzgerald
13. Bowe (switch to wing after 50)
12. D'arcy/Wallace
11. Earls (switch to fullback after 50)
10. Sexton
9. O'Leary (off after 50 for Reddan)

I agree that O'Brien isn't an out and out 7 but neither is David Wallace. I know I'm repeating myself but Ronan is only in the squad for the experience and not because he's ahead of Best and O'Brien. By the same token, would you say Felix Jones and Dennis Hurley, neither or whom are Munster regulars, are ahead of Shane Horgan who's been on fire for Leinster this season? Looking to last season, Devin Toner trained with Ireland during the 6 Nations yet there was no way that he was ahead of Leo Cullen who didn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 7 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree that O'Brien isn't an out and out 7 but neither is David Wallace. I know I'm repeating myself but Ronan is only in the squad for the experience and not because he's ahead of Best and O'Brien. By the same token, would you say Felix Jones and Dennis Hurley, neither or whom are Munster regulars, are ahead of Shane Horgan who's been on fire for Leinster this season? Looking to last season, Devin Toner trained with Ireland during the 6 Nations yet there was no way that he was ahead of Leo Cullen who didn't.[/b]

Yup, like Ian Keatley was hanging around during the 6 Nations training aswell last year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 7 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 7 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that O'Brien isn't an out and out 7 but neither is David Wallace. I know I'm repeating myself but Ronan is only in the squad for the experience and not because he's ahead of Best and O'Brien. By the same token, would you say Felix Jones and Dennis Hurley, neither or whom are Munster regulars, are ahead of Shane Horgan who's been on fire for Leinster this season? Looking to last season, Devin Toner trained with Ireland during the 6 Nations yet there was no way that he was ahead of Leo Cullen who didn't.[/b]

Yup, like Ian Keatley was hanging around during the 6 Nations training aswell last year.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. The experience of being with the top players in the country did their confidence the world of good and showed them that long term, they're in Declan Kidney's plans.

Latest posts