• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland stealing a Georgian prop

psychic duck

International
801a3c427df379c79b597eebb70e0f1adf510850ec.jpg

GEORGIAN tighthead prop Saba Meunargia has been named in the Ireland Under 18 squad

Meunargia attends Marist College after arriving in Ireland from Tblisi, he is also in the Connacht academy and has played for their A team and plays with the Buccaneers

seeing as Ireland are trying to solve their problems with a Georgian, maybe Ireland can help Georgia in returning the favour and handing Georgia a promising teenage winger?

I hope he turns out to be either an Artemyev and goes back home, or turns out to be a Peter Borlase

FIND YOUR OWN PROPS IRELAND

Last edited:
Oh come on! Really?? Why make such a fuss about a georgian prop?? It's not like they're any good, it's like stealing a Referee from New Zealand...

Oh come on! Really?? Why make such a fuss about a georgian prop?? It's not like they're any good, it's like stealing a Referee from New Zealand...
What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

Georgia are renowned for making very good props. The Top 14 has a number of them, and is considered the league with the best scrummaging in world rugby.

Good trolling!

Saba Meunargia moved here with his family as a youngster. He goes to school in Marist College, hardly a rugby powerhouse, so it's fair to say he's not here for rugby reasons. How is him potentially playing for Ireland any different from Toby Faletau playing for Wales or any number of foreign born players playing for England? I wish him well in his career regardless of whether he goes on to represent Georgia, Ireland or whoever. If you were being serious, hoping an 18 year old fails is a tad pathetic in my view.

Ireland are finding their own props. Martin Moore who was on last year's u20s team and Tadhg Furlong who's injured but probably would have captained this year's team are very good prospects who are potentially on at least the same level as Mike Ross (which isn't top class but usually more than good enough to hold up a scrum). Then there's Edward Byrne, a stunning prospect at loosehead prop who'll be with the Ireland u19s this year. Think Cian Healy's carrying and defence minus the brain farts (he captains his school), with powerful scrummaging ability and an offloading game. He has a twin brother (Brian, a hooker) who's nearly as good too. Jack McGrath is another solid prospect who's played around 20 times for Leinster.

At the moment it's mainly Leinster who are producing good long term options at prop because they have a dedicated academy scrum guru in Reggie Corrigan and a high quality senior scrum coach in Greg Feek. In the short term Ireland are screwed if Mike Ross gets injured because we've nobody else but with the IRFU's (well intentioned but misguided) policy on foreign players and now advertising for a national scrum tzar, things should improve down the line. We could be talking 4 or 5 years before Ireland have more than one capable tighthead and one and a half capable looseheads.

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

Georgia are renowned for making very good props. The Top 14 has a number of them, and is considered the league with the best scrummaging in world rugby.

It was actually meant as a joke Olyy... who cares if Ireland steals one guy to better their squad? England has done that for years, and not just in Rugby...

I don't like seeing this sort of thing. But I expected to open this and see some 24 year old on the fringes of the Georgian team being plucked via some granny rule the second Ireland got pummelled by England.

The guy played under 17s with Ireland so he's probably been here since he was 16 (at least). Doesn't really look like he was plucked from some sort of super-georgian prop training facility, looks more like a guy who's Georgian moved to Ireland with his family and plays rugby here and played under age rugby here and might be a prop here. Dylan Hartley style.

It doesn't quite seem the grand conspiracy I was expecting.

It was actually meant as a joke Olyy... who cares if Ireland steals one guy to better their squad? England has done that for years, and not just in Rugby...
well that didnt take very long...

Haha. "Well wot no1 realises is dat New Zealand actually do dat with the Pacific Islanders 2! Not just us! * Passes on the baton to anyone interested*

haha, yeah but NZ do it only to the Pacific Islanders...

England does it to every bloody nation who had some sort of connection to England, not just the Pacific Islanders...

Australia and South Africa does it to Zimbabwe, but to be fair, who would say it's a privelage to play for Bob Mugabe...

Wasn't there an Ireland U20s prop last year/the year before who was supposed to be the next big thing?
He was English, but qualified for Ireland, but now wants to play for Wales and is at Newport-Gwent Dragons :huh:

Edit: Can't find the thread now (think it was Big Ginger 8 singing his praises?), and I think he's been released by Newport anyhow

Last edited:
Georgian federation works very harldy to be competitive
It's a miracle for Georgia (with 878 senior males players!!!) to have 14 front rowers in Top14 !!
LP : Kakovin (Brive), Kavtidze (Lyon), Khinchagishvili (Brive), Nariashvili (Montpellier), Peikrishvili (Castres), Ratianidze (Lyon), Shvelidze (Montpellier)
HK : Natriashvili (Brive), Bregvadze (Toulouse), Giorgadze (Toulouse)
TP : Jgenti (Montpellier), Kubriashvili (Toulon), Sheklashvili (Agen), Zirakashvili (Clermont)

It's a miracle for Georgia, with 878 senior males players, to have so many rugby-superstars like 3d row Gorgodze (best foreigner of the Top14 last year), props Jgenti and Kakovin (were in the XV of the mid-season by Rugbyrama and Midi Olympique) or future rugby-superstars like Sharikadze (centre, Gloucester U19), Rapava (prop, Saracens academy), Lomtadze (hooker, selected by Yorkshire U20) or Mikautadze (lock, Toulon U23, played some games in Top14 and Amlin Cup this season).

I'm sure, Georgia is the best team in the world if you compare IRB ranking and number of players

So please, Ireland and others Tier1 nations, don't kill georgian federation work, don't poach georgians players

Yep, Psychic Duck sees to have gone way overboard here. If he's been in the Ireland under 17's he's hardly a product of the Georgian system, much like Artemiev wasn't brought through by Russia. If he chooses to play for Ireland then all well and good, if not fair dues to him too.

I don't claim to know his full circumstances of when he came over to Ireland, but playing moving from Georgia and playing Ireland under 17's hardly makes him a product of the Irish system, he must have learnt and grown up with the game in Georgia

I repeat: Get your own props Ireland, leave Georgia's less than 900 playing stock alone

You think Ireland should take credit for Artemyev?

Faletau is a lovely Welsh name...

Tualangi is a lovely English name...

I don't claim to know his full circumstances of when he came over to Ireland, but playing moving from Georgia and playing Ireland under 17's hardly makes him a product of the Irish system, he must have learnt and grown up with the game in Georgia

I repeat: Get your own props Ireland, leave Georgia's less than 900 playing stock alone

Chill out, it'll be his choice at the end of the day.

Yes, he played his rugby in Ireland from a young age and came up thorugh the Leinster academy. I have no problem with him playing for Russia, but he is a product of the Irish system.

Answer me this if you will, if we were deliberately going out and stealing this guy, why would he be playing for Marist and Connacht? Surely he would have been sent to one of the big rugby schools in either Munster, Ulster or Leinster instead of an average Connacht school with no particular rugby pedgree? Maybe, just maybe, he's a good player and under 18's offered him a chance to play. He didn't have to take it, no one forced him to play for Ireland.

Do you think Wales shouldn't have capped Toby Faletau or George North? By your logic, shouldn't they stop stealing Tongan and English players?

In any case, Russia benefited from Artemyev's involvement with Leinster and Ireland, there's every chance Georgia could do the same. You're getting incredibly butt hurt over a non issue.

Yes, he played his rugby in Ireland from a young age and came up thorugh the Leinster academy. I have no problem with him playing for Russia, but he is a product of the Irish system.

Answer me this if you will, if we were deliberately going out and stealing this guy, why would he be playing for Marist and Connacht? Surely he would have been sent to one of the big rugby schools in either Munster, Ulster or Leinster instead of an average Connacht school with no particular rugby pedgree? Maybe, just maybe, he's a good player and under 18's offered him a chance to play. He didn't have to take it, no one forced him to play for Ireland.

Do you think Wales shouldn't have capped Toby Faletau or George North? By your logic, shouldn't they stop stealing Tongan and English players?

In any case, Russia benefited from Artemyev's involvement with Leinster and Ireland, there's every chance Georgia could do the same. You're getting incredibly butt hurt over a non issue.

This.

Also I sense a jelly of Irish club success in other posts

How do you know this? Please post your evidence for his age upon arrival in Ireland. I see no reason to suppose that he arrived in Ireland aged 16 with significant rugby experience as opposed to age eight and not knowing what his dick was for as vice versa. It is quite possible that he is entirely a product of the Irish schools system. Google points to him having played U15 club rugby in Ireland (http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/9936) so he's been in Ireland for three years at least.

Bluntly, this is good news for Georgian rugby, not bad news. There is plenty of time for the young man to make his choices as to regards his international future but what is important now is that he is playing as much rugby of a high standard as possible and developing. He is doing that. Would anyone rather he was deprived of a chance to play at the highest possible level for U18 rugby players in Europe?

The worst possible case for Georgian rugby is he's not good enough and disappears after schools level. The next worst is that he does eventually declare for Ireland, still leaving Georgia with incredible strength in depth in the front row, and a Georgian name routinely appearing against the best teams in the world, which might help drive up interest. Which isn't that bad I'd thought. Certainly not harmful. And the best is that he chooses to play for Georgia and goes on to be a fantastic player for them, which would be at least partially due to Irish money and time.

note: Continuing the google reveals he played 8 at u15 level. The article's implication and lack of older results would suggest he moved to Ireland at about that age but one can't be sure. However, it seem that he has made the transition to prop in Ireland. Again, one can't be sure.

But in short, this thread is really presumptuous on several counts, and is raising a huge fuss about nothing. And - if he does end up playing for Ireland, then given that he is unlikely to make a full international debut before he is 22 or so, he'll have been in the country for at least seven years at the time. At which point, yeah, that's a fairly hefty portion of development.

Latest posts