• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Summer Tour

A

An Tarbh

Ireland will play 2 tests at the end of May against Canada and the USA.

Will definitely be an experimental side and given their route to the final it could well see the Munster contingent unavailable for selection as well as the Lions players.

Saturday, May 23 2009

Canada v Ireland

Saturday, May 30 2009

USA v Ireland.

Will be interesting to see closer to the time what sort of team we're gonna put out.

I wonder if these tests are in place of the Churchill Cup. My guess is that they will be.

Ireland A will be taking part in the Churchill cup. It will be similar to 2007 when the first XV stayed at home, The 2nd XV went to Argentina and the Third/Fourth XV to the Churchill cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 27 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland A will be taking part in the Churchill cup. It will be similar to 2007 when the first XV stayed at home, The 2nd XV went to Argentina and the Third/Fourth XV to the Churchill cup.[/b]
I just saw the dates of the Churchill Cup games - June 6th to June 28th. Given that fact, I expect to see an Ulster dominated team with a sprinkling of players from Munster/Leinster (if one or other makes the HC final), Connacht and abroad for the test matches with some of the u20s given a shot along with provincial also-rans for the Churchill Cup.

Bob Casey, Ian Humphreys, Darren Cave, Ryan Caldwell and Mike Ross will probably get a shot to play for the senior team. The Churchill Cup could be a great chance for AIL players like Shane Monahan (9 tries in 9 games), Richie Lane (prolific kicker and try scorer), Jamie Smith (young Ulster fullback), Felix Jones (Leinster fullback), Tommy O'Donnell (crowded out in Munster), Timmy Ryan and Ciaran O'Boyle to earn fully pro contracts next year, much like how Ian Keatley and Sean Cronin have taken the opportunity in the recent past.

I think it's good as well that it'll be the full management touring with the side, none of them are involved in the Lions as far as I know, so good chance to get experience in the setup, unlike the Japan tour 4 years ago.

Latest posts