Ireland U-20 v Wales U-20

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_20246.php

Ireland Under 20 Team to Man Shame Wales

Ireland U20 coach Allen Clarke is pleased to select from a full panel and for the first time this series, has made changes to his starting XV. Recent Connacht debutant Tiernan O'Halloran makes his first start of the season on the wing. There is also a new look to the front row as Jack O'Connell moves from tighthead to loosehead with Stewart Maguire moving up from the replacements for his first start. There are three new faces on the bench with Leinster's Risteard Byrne and Munster duo Bryan Cagney and Gareth Quinn McDonogh coming into the 22 for the first time. Speaking of his selection and of the task at hand, Clarke said "Whilst the decision to alternate the squad was given much consideration, the changes reflect the quality of the player group." "Stewart Maguire has been impressive when he has been launched from the bench and Tiernan O'Halloran has returned to the fine form he was displaying prior to sustaining an injury in a warm up match in December. "Gareth's inclusion in the replacements is reward for his performances in the AIB League with Shannon as is that of Risteard Byrne with UCD." "Planning and preparation has gone well. There is an appetite within the squad to continually develop as individuals and as a team. The attention to detail and focus to improve reflect the respect we have for Wales and the squad ambition to build on our performances in the championship." IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Wales U-20, RBS U-20 6 Nations Championship, Dubarry Park, Friday, March 12, kick-off 7.35pm):

15 - Andrew Conway (Blackrock College/Leinster)
14 - Darren Hudson (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
13 - Brendan Macken (Blackrock/Leinster)
12 - Nevin Spence (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
11 - Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht)
10 - James McKinney (Queen's University/Ulster)
9 - John Cooney (UCD /Leinster)
1 - Jack O'Connell (Lansdowne/Leinster)
2 - Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
3 - Stewart Maguire (Old Belvedere/ Leinster)
4 - David O'Callaghan (UCC/Munster)
5 - Ben Marshall (UCD/Leinster)
6 - Rhys Ruddock (UCD/Leinster) (Capt.)
7 - Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
8 - Patrick Butler (Shannon/Munster) Replacements:
16 - Risteard Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
17 - Bryan Cagney (UCC/Munster)
18 - Brian Hayes (Cork Constitution/Munster)
19 - Robin O'Sullivan (Bective Rangers/Leinster)
20 - Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
21 - Gareth Quinn McDonogh (Shannon/ Munster)
22 - Eoin Griffin (Corinthians/Connacht)[/b]
[/url]

It seems as though Allen Clarke is going for a spot of squad rotation. I'm happy that O'Halloran is getting a shot on the wing but I think the guy he's replacing, Simon Zebo, has been hugely impressive. Stewart Maguire hasn't been great so far but in the interest of squad rotation, his promotion is welcome. Of the new additions to the bench, Gareth Quinn McDonagh could be one to watch. He's starting for Shannon in the AIL and is, as far as I'm aware, still U-19 eligible (as is the first choice flyhalf James McKinney).

Really looking forward to this. At U-18 level a couple of years ago Wales won the fixture 25-6 and physically dominated the Irish side. There are 5 or 6 members of each team playing today.

Edit - Ha! That was quick. 5-0 to Ireland after less than 20 seconds! Niall Annett charged down a kick and touched down. James McKinney with an excellent conversion from the touchline.

Methinks Irelands going to put more points on them than England did (and that was 40-something)

Must say our underage teams have been improving massively in recent years and IRFU seems to be right up to scratch on development issues.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 12 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Must say our underage teams have been improving massively in recent years and IRFU seems to be right up to scratch on development issues.[/b]
Spot on. What seems to be happening is at schools level they're concentrating on skills rather than on "bulking up". It's leading to some average results at u18 level but by the time they do pack on the weight (between the ages of about 19 and 22), they've the skills to go with it. Contrast that with England who get excellent results up to u20 level because their team is a bunch of gym monkies who overpower teams but their skills are sorely lacking after that.

17-0 now, Patrick Butler with a good score.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 12 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
True and O'Callaghan has started brightly. McKinney looks like a tidy player too[/b]
He was a number 8 a couple of years ago which probably explains his strong ball carrying game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 12 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 12 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must say our underage teams have been improving massively in recent years and IRFU seems to be right up to scratch on development issues.[/b]
Spot on. What seems to be happening is at schools level they're concentrating on skills rather than on "bulking up". It's leading to some average results at u18 level but by the time they do pack on the weight (between the ages of about 19 and 22), they've the skills to go with it. Contrast that with England who get excellent results up to u20 level because their team is a bunch of gym monkies who overpower teams but their skills are sorely lacking after that.

17-0 now, Patrick Butler with a good score.
[/b][/quote]
Also Snoop it same regarding Senior Teams.
I think we alot more advanced strategically than English and our Celtic neighbours. IRFU tied all players down on central contracts (exclude Murphy and Bowe)
So players have limits on games, which I was unsure about at start but now I see how MASSIVELY benefical it is.
And the mandatory 11week or so pre-season period etc.

Also is Jamie Smith of Ulster not U-20 or is he 21.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 12 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also is Jamie Smith of Ulster not U-20 or is he 21.[/b]
He was on the u20s a couple of years ago. It was an exceptionally weak team. Eoin O'Malley and Ian Nagle were the two best players on that side if I recall correctly.

Don't like the ref's positioning at the ruck. He's blocking one side of the pitch for each team's scrum half to pass to.

Our backrow is excellent once again. Great in defence and just as strong with ball in hand.

Yes back-row is on top and well Butler is a player I expect will see ML game time very soon as he has been earmarked a long time.

Also I hearing Cardiff has moved to the Sin-Bin (Clohessys) in Limerick. :D
So many of them :p

^^^Apparently England's u20s took Ireland to the cleaners a couple of weeks ago in the lineout.

Did any Welsh posters watch the Scarlets v Ulster game last week? Their scrum half Tavis Knoyle was brilliant. He's only 19 I think; is there any good reason why he isn't playing for Wales tonight?

It's strangely unsettling watching the Irish scrum dominate, it just feels wrong.

The Irish scrumhalf John Cooney has been poor again so far - taking too long to pass, kicking too much ball and his passing is erratic.

Edit - Kristian Phillips break leads to a Dan(?) Fish try. 17-7

3rd Irish try for Eoin Griffin. James McKinney is controlling things well from flyhalf and created that score. He's really grown into the tournament.

24-7 courtesy of another quality conversion.

Edit - Superb break from Dan Fish. 24-12, conversion to come. Missed.

Latest posts