• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Unhappy With Wales & Scotland

Well to be fair there's a spirit of reciprocation about this. Plague carrying rats from France reportedly brought the black death to Britain in the 1300s, and Britain are set to return the favor by sending the WRU and SRU over to France as honored guests in 2023. I hope they launch a joint bid to host a parasite.

In all seriousness though these things are always going to be political, I doubt we're innocent of it either, but disappointing is the word. The reasons for the voting will probably come out in someones book in years to come, but the bad blood or air of reciprocity will just be passed on and on down the years and it could hamper the expansion of the game should a growing nation bid. Personally, despite my day of shitposting (see above) I'm not that miffed, because I accepted we wouldn't win after the report and expect we won't bid again, even if the WRU and SRU contributing to taking a World Cup from their fans' own doorstep is odd and stinks of cutting off their nose to spite their face. Suppose France isn't far anyway.

To be fair SRU said from very start they'll go where best money was. That was France.
WRU had to back their report which had Welsh influence. So they didn't promise support and U-turn. It's politics and no more

To be fair SRU said from very start they'll go where best money was. That was France.
This is the problem. You could argue that France bought their vote. To win the hosting rights to World Cup 2027, pay more than everyone else and Scotland will vote for you. I'm not sure that's a precedent we want to set.

No issue with anyone voting for South Africa because that's what the recommendation said. That said, I can understand the IRFUs disappointment. Had the Welsh votes swung Ireland's way, it's South Africa who would have been knocked out first.

I wonder if the IRFU reneging on a deal from the 1999 World Cup with regards payments to Wales had any effect on the WRUs decision also.

Incidentally, I think France would host the best World Cup out of the three bidders anyway. Packed stadiums, close proximity to a lot of competing nations, most revenue generated, great transport infrastructure. The fact that it'll be 16 years since they previously hosted doesn't bother me. Mexico hosted FIFA World Cups 16 years apart albeit in slightly different circumstances.

Maybe people will start realising England have been the good guys all along!
:D

Sounds like sour grapes.

The SRFU were always going to back France I am not sure why the Irish thought they would change their minds all of sudden?

The WRFU went with the recommended choice, again I dont see how the Irish thought they would change their minds?

Sounds like sour grapes.

The SRFU were always going to back France I am not sure why the Irish thought they would change their minds all of sudden?

The WRFU went with the recommended choice, again I dont see how the Irish thought they would change their minds?
I think it's the Scots backing money and Wales backing a dodgy enough recommendation that annoys b them rather that the union that they've had strong ties with since international rugby existed, the union that has carried their club sides in a tournament that neither had the competence to make a success for years and theunion that almost certainly would have voted for them in the reverse didn't get a vote.

I'm pretty devastated we didn't get, it had people with the least interest in rugby talking about rugby, would have grown the game in a way that only winning a world cup could otherwise (at least we'll have 2019) and it categorically rules is out of another tournament.

On the money front, presumably any money goes to World Rugby rather than individual unions who backed the French bid?

I don't see why a "vote for your neighbours" system would be preferable.

Maybe people will start realising England have been the good guys all along!
:D
I will staunchly support England to beat Scotland and Wales in the six nations as its important to reward the loyalty of your lieutenants with an admirable second place while daddy takes that first place cherry.

I think it's the Scots backing money and Wales backing a dodgy enough recommendation that annoys b them rather that the union that they've had strong ties with since international rugby existed, the union that has carried their club sides in a tournament that neither had the competence to make a success for years and theunion that almost certainly would have voted for them in the reverse didn't get a vote.

I'm pretty devastated we didn't get, it had people with the least interest in rugby talking about rugby, would have grown the game in a way that only winning a world cup could otherwise (at least we'll have 2019) and it categorically rules is out of another tournament.

Seem to remember Ireland voting against Wales for 1999.

This is a really difficult issue. I thought at first that it's pretty harsh for wales and scotland to not have shown support for ireland but on further reflection do we really want to see a eurovision-style contest where we all vote for our nearest neighbours, if there are other factors indicating different levels of preparedness and infrastructure?

I think that if the contesting countries are all utterly inseparable from each other then fair enough to show solidarity for our nearest cousins, and I'd also hope that if all options were utterly inseparable, the voting would be somehow weighted towards countries which haven't hosted it before. And, I think money alone should never be a deciding factor because that's not a barrier that some countries will EVER overcome over the richer unions/nations.

But the thing is that the review carried out indicates (and I don't know enough about it) that the choices weren't inseparable from one another on certain areas. There were some differences e.g with stadia. I say this from a point of view by the way of wanting Ireland to get it. But it has to happen through the system, albeit if we can disentangle some of the overinflated factors in the decision. It can't be based on assuming your best mate has your back.

By the way Valley Commando you really need to rethink that suggestion sensibly. You think Samoa have the infrastructure to host a world cup, oh and that the world cup just gets handed out to random rugby nations? If it's just about desire and passion for it, I hear Bhutan would be ideal. Jesus man.

iEzJOvo.png

I only really skimmed the article and haven't followed the bidding process so what I'm about to say is proudly ill-informed ... but I don't see any reason the Welsh or the Scots shouldn't vote against the IRFU if they want. Surely the point of a vote is that anyone can vote independently for whatever they think the best choice is. Genuine question, am I missing something important here?

I am not surprised the WRU voted for FFR they are the standout choice and we have a close history and relationship with French rugby that is historic . However I am surprised the Scots didn't vote for Ireland .

I am not surprised the WRU voted for FFR they are the standout choice and we have a close history and relationship with French rugby that is historic . However I am surprised the Scots didn't vote for Ireland .
Didn't WRU vote for South Africa?
As they didn't want to go against the Welsh members who were part of the report.
Scots were straight up saying they were going for the best financial deal.

It's possible but It's not entirely clear where our vote went although i would of thought it was for France.

Latest posts