Ireland v Italy

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Ireland.gif
Ireland v Italy
Italy.gif
</div>

So Ireland and Italy get the 2008 Six Nations under way at Croke Park. Both sides come into the tournament on the back of dissappointing world cups having both failed to make the knock out stages but that's all forgotten now with this tounament now on us.

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has stuck to his word of no major changes with the 22 he's announced. Flannery would have been in there as well but for his suspension as would O'Connell whose persistent injuries post world cup have seen him sidelined. Other than that it's minimal change for Ireland with Boss and Horgan the only victims.

Italy like Ireland will be hoping for more of the same in this tournament and even to build on the relative success of last year. With Bortolami absent Sergio Parisse takes over as skipper for Nick Mallet's first game in charge of the Azzuri.

Ireland were certainly more than vulnerable in the pack in France and Italy will be looking to exploit that weakness with their powerful set of forwards. Given the form that certain backs have shown for Leinster it won't exactly be a question of surviving up front and letting the backs live off scraps cause if this season is anything to go by they'll need more than scraps to get over the whitewash.

The mood in Ireland is certainly apathetic ahead of this season's tournament, nothing like the build-up to last years, although understandably so given what was about to transpire. Can O'Driscoll's men do anything to get the hopes and expectations back up or will we see the mediocrity that so haunted us in France???

Mediocrity! Jesus stop talking them up, they were nowhere near mediocrity :)

Anyhoo, I'm not usually one for optimistic predictions in the opening day, especially against Italy, but I have a feeling Ireland are going to rip through them. There is a bunch of players there looking to put the record straight after the WC.

I'd say the Irish dressing room is an angry place, and will remain so for the rest of the season. The shouldnt lack the motivation, the dont lack the talent, I'd see it as a 15-20 point win for Ireland.

Yup agree with that as well. The Irish players have been playing really well for their respective clubs so i see no reason why they shouldnt win comfortably. Especially with the uncertainty surrounding Italy with a new coach and captain.

Well we're certainly going to need to see a big improvement from O'Driscoll and D'Arcy, Horgan has been rightly dropped but we need them to find their form to start creating some decent chances out wide.

absolutely logic prediction [/b]
Yeah sorry about that. I'm not usually an optimistic poster form an Irish point of view, but I think the Italians without Bortolami, without Troncon, and with a new half-back combination playing away from home, will struggle. Even your own coach is talking down your chances this year. So while you will compete, I think Ireland will cut loose at the end of the match and lay down a marker for the tournament.

I'm a fan of Italian rugby, so I dont mean to be dismissive. I just dont think you guys will repeat the feats of last year. Well not this year with three away games.

This prediction of course is totally based on the fact the EO'S will actually pick the form team, not his usual favourites. If he doesnt, well the press, the fans, the country will get on his case pre-match and put all the pressure on the home team.

I think we'll see the same old story. Italy getting equal possession from line-out and turnover but kicking it away and Ireland overruning the Italians through sheer pace and inventiveness.

I think D'Arcy and O'Driscoll could be drunk after twenty jaeger-bombs and they'd still be able to dodge around the timid Italian back line. Its just so disappointing that the Italian pack work so hard to produce good ball but they just don't have the backs to do anything with it. Robertson and Bortolusi aside mind you.

Easy win for Ireland, just don't go overboard and spend ten minutes in injury time trying to get just one more try than you have to like last year.

If ever he deserved a 7 iron in the face it's now. Twat. :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Wha- :huh:

What did I do wrong now?! No escaping the Leinster lynch mob! I'M SORRY FOR WHAT I SAID LAST YEAR!!!

Ireland: 15 Girvan Dempsey (Leinster), 14 Andrew Trimble (Ulster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster, captain), 12 Gordan D'Arcy (Leinster), 11 Geordan Murphy (Leicester), 10 Ronan O'Gara (Munster), 9 Eoin Reddan (Wasps), 8 Denis Leamy (Munster), 7 David Wallace (Munster), 6 Simon Easterby (Llanelli), 5 Malcolm O'Kelly (Leinster), 4 Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), 3 John Hayes (Munster), 2 Rory Best (Ulster), 1 Marcus Horan (Munster),
Replacements: 16 Bernard Jackman (Leinster), 17 Tony Buckley (Munster), 18 Mick O'Driscoll (Munster), 19 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Peter Stringer (Munster), Paddy Wallace (Ulster), Rob Kearney (Leinster)

I was hoping to see at least Heaslip and Kearney starting but, well, I guess that a (failed) World Cup just isn't enough for EO'S to let go of his proteges and favor form.

<div class='quotemain'> absolutely logic prediction [/b]
I'm a fan of Italian rugby, so I dont mean to be dismissive. I just dont think you guys will repeat the feats of last year. Well not this year with three away games. [/b][/quote]it's not probably a matter of away games (I mean, not only) but of the experimental side NM is building in the halves and in the backs in general, actually there are surprising rumors about the starting XV that will be named tomorrow and I don't think this way there are too many chanches to see a close game next saturday (otherwise Mallet would be a real genius...)

I think we'll see the same old story. Italy getting equal possession from line-out and turnover but kicking it away [/b]
I belive this prediction is not correct: Italy is going to play with one only kicker (Bortolussi at fb position) and if Masi will play at fh we gonna see many line-breaks efforts by him and by the centres, lots of pick-and-go by the backrow and just a few kicks

they just don't have the backs to do anything with it. Robertson and Bortolusi aside mind you [/b]
Robertson and Bortolussi are far from being the best italian backs, Canale (if fit), Masi and Mi. Bergamasco are much better, you probably didn't see them too often in french Top14, I imagine

Yes but do Canale, Masi and Bergamasco make it count when the going gets tough in the Six Nations? The answer to that is no...so far. I'll reserve judgement on the kicking policy of Masi but if the last few years are anything to go by, I'm not holding my breath.

I genuinely hope that Mallet has hammered it into them not to kick away possession but you'll forgive me for my cynicism.

Yes but do Canale, Masi and Bergamasco make it count when the going gets tough in the Six Nations? The answer to that is no...so far.[/b]
well, Mi. Bergamasco was the find of the tournament a couple of years ago and Canale played very well too, I admit they were not brilliant last year and absolute shite at the RWC

Masi had almost always been injured during the 6N but was by far the best italian back at the (poor) RWC

I'll reserve judgement on the kicking policy of Masi but if the last few years are anything to go by, I'm not holding my breath.

I genuinely hope that Mallet has hammered it into them not to kick away possession but you'll forgive me for my cynicism. [/b]
guess what, he dropped Pez :bravo: , that counts more than any declaration...

Surprised to see Geordan Murphy on the wing, haven't seen hm play there (at least in a while), thought Luke Fitzgerald might have been given a chance.

Reddan over Stringer & Best over Jackman surprises me.

guess what, he dropped Pez :bravo: , that counts more than any declaration...
[/b]

Well, thats probably the best gesture he could have done. I hope we'll see more change on Saturday!

f***ing disgusted with this team selection. Best over Jackman, I dont agree with but I can understand given Jackmans possible weakness in the lineout (not seen this year though!).

How Trimble can be put on the wing instead of Kearney (or Bowe for that matter) is simply beyond me.

Simon Easterby over Jamie Heaslip is ................. ahhh f***ing hell I'm just so angry right now. What do these guys have to do to earn a selection?

Wha- :huh:

What did I do wrong now?! No escaping the Leinster lynch mob! I'M SORRY FOR WHAT I SAID LAST YEAR!!!
[/b]

Wrong end of the stick I'm afraid, that's my reaction to the team anouncement, hardly surprising I know but I'm still ******.

f***ing disgusted with this team selection. Best over Jackman, I dont agree with but I can understand given Jackmans possible weakness in the lineout (not seen this year though!).

How Trimble can be put on the wing instead of Kearney (or Bowe for that matter) is simply beyond me.

Simon Easterby over Jamie Heaslip is ................. ahhh f***ing hell I'm just so angry right now. What do these guys have to do to earn a selection?
[/b]

He just takes incompetence to new levels with that team selection, even my mam was wondering what Easterby is doing there and she's as clueless as the D4 birds who go to the schools cup matches.

Official IRFU Press Release

Centre Brian O'Driscoll will win his 80th cap for Ireland this Saturday when he leads the team out to play Italy in Croke Park in the opening game of the 2008 RBS 6 Nations Championship.

Ireland Coach Eddie O'Sullivan has named Geordan Murphy on the left wing, with Ulster's Andrew Trimble named on the right wing. At halfback, Ronan O'Gara will continue his partnership with Eoin Reddan, who was named at scrumhalf to win his 6th cap for Ireland.

In the forwards, Prop John Hayes will also be reaching the landmark of 80 caps for Ireland in a front row that sees the return of Rory Best to the starting line-up. Malcolm O'Kelly also returns to the starting fifteen to extend his Ireland caps record to 92.

Commenting on his team selection, coach O'Sullivan said: "There were a couple of difficult calls to make. The front row was hard because Rory has played very well since recovering from injury, but (Bernard) Jackman pushed him close.

"We looked at Jamie Heaslip because of his form but, on balance, we decided to leave the back row as it is. Scrum half was a tight call as well. It could have gone either way between Reddan and Stringer."

what a cop out, at least he got one call right but it's even worrying to see that Stringer was even in contention for a starting place.

So basically this is the team that stumbled to victory over Namibia, robbed Georgia, and was well beaten by France and Argentina minus Horgan and O'Connell who are injured and Hickie who has retired. So in effect there have been no real changes.
Still playing 3 blindsides in the backrow, only one of whom would be starting purely on form (Leamy at 6).
Mick O'Driscoll anywhere near the 22 is also a farce.

Latest posts