• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Italy

I think most of you are going about looking at this the wrong way.
1. Ireland are not crap. There were some serious moments of brilliance that didn't completely work. However, I believe it's entirely possible to see those connections made. Clearly EOS got his call right with Eoin Reddan. Much deserved Man of the Match Award for him. O'Driscoll, also seemed up for it. Who else would you lot put in there? As I see the selection are still representative of the best of Ireland. Watching the match was like seeing a high end sports car that isn't firing on all pistons...just one little tweak and you know it'd be amazing.
2. Italy's new look team will be something to deal with in the competition. They have some things to work out, but I geniunely believe they are getting tougher each time I see them.

I agree on Reddan. Why the hell do people want to backtrack to Stringer or Boss? One is lethargic and at times simply bone-idle while the other one didn't pass muster in New Zealand for reason...

Italy too are starting to improve and this new back line combo is very good, maybe we're going to see the dream link between possibly the best pack in Europe and some of the best backs too...

EDIT: It was also quite surreal to hear "ITALIA! ITALIA! ITALIA!" ring out around Croke Park rather than Fields of Athenry. Its almost like the Romans had invaded Dublin. A portent of what might happen if the Italian RFU take over the Olympic Stadium in Rome or the San Siro?

Italy too are starting to improve and this new back line combo is very good
[/b]
Uhm, IMHO Canavosio and Bortolussi can't play at the 6 Nations. I think NM should put Marcato at 10 and Masi at 15!

We'll see, I think Bortolussi needs more game time to come good because he did impress in the World Cup. Travagli did a good job at 9, I think Troncon will be proud.

We'll see, I think Bortolussi needs more game time to come good because he did impress in the World Cup. Travagli did a good job at 9, I think Troncon will be proud.
[/b]
Uhm, do you really think he impressed in RWC? I'm not sure, I remember a lot of wrong kicks :huh:

We must look for a good kicker, we don't have anyone since Dominguez... Pez was not the best.

I remember a few good kicks too. Besides, he does well at full-back and I've always thought that the full-back should run and not kick.

I remember a few good kicks too. Besides, he does well at full-back and I've always thought that the full-back should run and not kick.
[/b]
Yeah, of course. But since Italy has not a kicker fly-half (Masi doesn't kick... this is great problem), Bortolussi is the kicker and he should goal every kick at least inside the 22 :)

And he's so slow in running :huh:

Anyhow, I think this Ireland should improve its game, or IRL-ITA will be the only winning match at the end of the tournament :mellow:

clearly EOS got his call right with Eoin Reddan. Much deserved Man of the Match Award for him.[/b]
Agreed. It's a shame though that it took O'Sullivan one year of poor form from Peter Stringer (who admittedly is playing quite well at present) to realise that the excellent Reddan was a better option.

As I see the selection are still representative of the best of Ireland.[/b]
I disagree on this point. Bernerd Jackman is playing far better than Rory Best in terms of workrate and lineout throwing. Jamie Heaslip is a phenomenal ball carrier at the base of the scrum and should be picked ahead of Simon Easterby. Andrew Trimble and Denis Leamy are playing out of their provincial positions (as is Geordan Murphy who plays at 15 for Leicester). Tommy Bowe, clearly the form winger in the country couldn't even make the 22. Neither for that matter could Keith Gleeson (who's having his best year in a long time for Leinster) nor Leo Cullen (who's return to Leinster has coincided with a greatly improved forward unit).

Even if O'Sullivan makes changes now (of which there should be 3 or perhaps 4), it'll strike me as a reactive rather than proactive selection. The man is no longer good enough for the job.

<div class='quotemain'>clearly EOS got his call right with Eoin Reddan. Much deserved Man of the Match Award for him.[/b]
Agreed. It's a shame though that it took O'Sullivan one year of poor form from Peter Stringer (who admittedly is playing quite well at present) to realise that the excellent Reddan was a better option.
[/b][/quote]

Just one year? I'd put it back as far as 2005. Maybe even earlier than that.

No sane Irish fan would in their right minds be calling for Stringer to be selected, the surprise for me during the week was that Eddie kept going on about it being a tight call between himself and Stringer. Absolute nonsense.

As for the selection being representative of the best of Ireland I can't agree with that either, no Jackman, no Cullen, no Gleeson, no Heaslip, no Bowe, that's five players who are the form men in their positions, the best in Ireland if you would not starting on Saturday.

I still expect Eddie to be stubborn and the only change we'll probably get is Horgan in the centre for D'Arcy. I hope to God I'm wrong though.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>clearly EOS got his call right with Eoin Reddan. Much deserved Man of the Match Award for him.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Just one year? I'd put it back as far as 2005. Maybe even earlier than that.
[/b][/quote]
You're right. I underestimated because I think Stringer is a very poor player and didn't want to let that cloud my judgement too much. Basically I overcompensated for my preconceived ideas about the Munster man's "talent". Hopefully the next couple of years will see somebody (Brian O'Riordan, Frank Murphy, Conor O'Loughlin, Cillian Willis and Paul Marshall seem the most likely candidates) push ahead of Stringer and Boss as the next in line to Eoin Reddan.

It was a fairly standard match between these teams. Ireland can open things up and get behind Italy. Italy can rumble it about and shove Ireland backwards. It's just that neither team had the ability to follow through. Like a lukewarm combination of their last two meetings.

I completely concede on Easterby - what a knob! The ref warned after the foot in the scrum - "same player, three times in a row" - and two minutes later he's off! Bit like Marcus Horan's "red-rage" phase a while back, when he didn't seem to give a **** about his own team.

Heaslip has a lot to learn, but Kearney was ok. Reddan, ROG and Dempsey were very good, Trimble too, and the scrum was surprisingly solid. That's about it.

I hope Italy get it together in Rome, but having to sub your #11 after twenty minutes because of severe cluelessness is not a sign of good selection.

Leo Cullen (who's return to Leinster has coincided with a greatly improved forward unit).
[/b]

But he's about as mobile & dynamic as my senile Gran. Thats why he'll never be a top class international. It would be a backward step having such a player in an international team.

Not every team can have a top class international in their team that's why someone like Ireland especially has to pick form players and Cullen fits that brand, look around at all the other teams there's plenty of average players around who can more than hold their own at this level.

<div class='quotemain'>
Leo Cullen (who's return to Leinster has coincided with a greatly improved forward unit).
[/b]

But he's about as mobile & dynamic as my senile Gran. Thats why he'll never be a top class international. It would be a backward step having such a player in an international team. [/b][/quote]

What he lacks in mobility, he more than makes up for in organizational skills, leadership and lineout ability. While he's not in the same league as O'Callaghan, O'Kelly or O'Connell in terms of physical ability, he's a better option than Mick O'Driscoll (no bad player but can be very quiet in games).

I would keep Bortolussi for the bench... I would also give Marcato a go at no. 10 and put Masi or even Galon at 15, would be nice to see Pratichetti may be tried on the wing aswell. Cant Galon kick or am I wrong there? He did a few nice safe kicks with the boot since he entered.

Latest posts