• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa

Why even bother rate the SA backs? The ball won't get past Steyn, and if it ever does Jacobs will crash it up.

It's rugby, Individual ratings mean nothing, but I'd take our pack except for Botha, Matfield and Brussouw. Du Preez and Habana from the backs and that's it.

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Hayes
4. Botha
5. Matfield
6. Ferris
7. Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Sexton
11. Habana
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

Bod has a higher scoring rate than Fourie this year (internationally anyway). Not digging up figures but it's obviously true.

But lets not argue about player on player and lets look at which is running more effectively.

The Saffer one may be dangerous but the ball struggles to get past centre. In fact in many of the matches I've seen, the ball has rarely got passed first centre.

The Irish one if -and it's a big iff against SA- it can secure ball of a set piece, looks very dangerous every time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why even bother rate the SA backs? The ball won't get past Steyn, and if it ever does Jacobs will crash it up.

It's rugby, Individual ratings mean nothing, but I'd take our pack except for Botha, Matfield and Brussouw. Du Preez and Habana from the backs and that's it.

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Hayes
4. Botha
5. Matfield
6. Ferris
7. Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Sexton
11. Habana
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney[/b]

Du Plessis is 10 times the player Flannery is. Ok Steyn kicks alot but he is an amazing pressure player, only the most one eyed of Irishmen could put 1 cap against lowly Fiji Sexton ahead of a man who kicked the penalty to win the Lions series from his own half. Both packs at the scrum are pretty average, but anyway we'll see after the game. If SA get their big guys running onto the ball, they'll just smash through the line, however if it gets nervy and close again Steyn will kick everything and it will be a close one.

Well Steyne has shown you don't have to have alot of experiance to do well in the international game. His main strength actually nullifies your point. We are also not basing Sexton's ability on one game alone. He's been the shizzle for quite a while. Also he passes and runs with the ball every now and then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Nov 23 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Hayes
4. Botha
5. Matfield
6. Ferris
7. Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Sexton
11. Habana
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney[/b]

Du Plessis is 10 times the player Flannery is. Ok Steyn kicks alot but he is an amazing pressure player, only the most one eyed of Irishmen could put 1 cap against lowly Fiji Sexton ahead of a man who kicked the penalty to win the Lions series from his own half. Both packs at the scrum are pretty average, but anyway we'll see after the game. If SA get their big guys running onto the ball, they'll just smash through the line, however if it gets nervy and close again Steyn will kick everything and it will be a close one.
[/b][/quote]

We from munster don't like Sexton and have tried our best for the last 8 months to find reasons to knock him.

I'd rather have Steyn on my team tomorrow because he has a tad more experience but if you actually saw Sexton play against Fiji, you'd know that he's quality.

The first time I've ever seen the Sunday Times give a player 10/10 after an international (that I can remember).

And we all know that he can handle pressure. Coming on 20 minutes into the Heineken Cup Semi-Final and slotting a drop goal from near the halfway infront of 80,000 says so.

So I'd rather have sexton come the 2011 World Cup. I'd take the Saffer front row too...

And "if SA get their big guys running onto the ball"... like has happenned all of about 0 times this year (give or take some freak accident here an there where Steyn throws a pass).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Nov 23 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 22 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be at this one so Hussah! We can win this if we front up and match them at the breakdown and at scrum time. Be asks yes, but we need a solid platform to release our better backs.[/b]

I dont see any Ireland back that is particularily better than the SA backs. Steyn >O'Gara,Habana>Bowe,Olivier and Wallace are both equally ****, BOD and Fourie about the same,Pietersen>Earls, Kearney>Pienaar.
[/b][/quote]
Yes but SA won't use there backs for anything other than chasing kicks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Nov 23 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Hayes
4. Botha
5. Matfield
6. Ferris
7. Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Sexton
11. Habana
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney[/b]

[/b][/quote]Flannery ahead of Smit or Du Plessis Really?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1.Healy
2.Flannery
3.Hayes
4.O'Callaghan
5.O'Connell
6.Ferris
7.Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Court
18. Cullen
19. Best
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. D'arcy

14 British and Irish Lions 2009 tourists in the 22 , if we pick that team we will massacre the Boks, but we all know we will see ROG at 10.[/b]

Are you a practising member of the IRA?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Nov 23 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1.Healy
2.Flannery
3.Hayes
4.O'Callaghan
5.O'Connell
6.Ferris
7.Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Court
18. Cullen
19. Best
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. D'arcy

14 British and Irish Lions 2009 tourists in the 22 , if we pick that team we will massacre the Boks, but we all know we will see ROG at 10.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Hahaha, that one was funny.

But are forums not for overly excited people?

Man for man match-ups are a futile excersize and all I'm gonna say is that if both teams pitch up and I'm sure SA can manage to rally one last time this year, then it is going to be a cracker. My picks for the SA squad:

Tendai Mtawarira John Smit BJ Botha

Bakkies Botha Victor Matfield

Heinrich Brussouw Schalk Burger

Danie Rossouw

Fourie du Preez

Morne Steyn

Wynand Olivier

Jacques Fourie

Brian Habana JP Pietersen

Zane Kirschner

Bismark du Plessis
CJ van der Linde
Andries Bekker
Jean Deysel
Francois Hougaard
Ruan Pienaar
Juan de Jongh

SA with the better forwards as a whole and vice versa with the backs. I will always pick the team with the better forward pack for the win. SA by a little.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Nov 23 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 23 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1.Healy
2.Flannery
3.Hayes
4.O'Callaghan
5.O'Connell
6.Ferris
7.Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Court
18. Cullen
19. Best
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. D'arcy

[/b][/quote]

Erm, well, 18 2009 Springboks that faced and beat the Lions in either tests or in the Emerging Springboks in at least my 22 line-up. Sure, Ireland are at home and fresher as well but I doubt there will be any massacres in this upcoming fixture. Watch for the Bok forward pack to dominate and Ireland to come back at the end through their backs to make it a close affair.

I love all this massacre talk, Boggle first then Munster Man

I'm pretty sure this one won't be a blowout too much pride and quality, espically in defence by both teams (excluding O'Gara's/Wallace's channel)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Nov 23 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love all this massacre talk, Boggle first then Munster Man

I'm pretty sure this one won't be a blowout too much pride and quality, espically in defence by both teams (excluding O'Gara's/Wallace's channel)[/b]

In fairness, i haven't worried about Wallace since he kept Nonu at bay in New Zealand 2 years ago.

ROG is the one to worry about...or target if you're a saffer.

For me its so close, i'll say it hinges on who PDiv selects for the starting 15 for SA; I say Ireland takes it if he selects Jacobs at 12 out of position and form ahead of Olivier again as well as keeps on selecting Smit at tighthead. If he selects Olivier or even de Jongh I say it gets better for SA and if he select the front row of Beast, Smit, Botha (BJ) I say SA are favourites IMO. We also need someone other than Kankowski at 8. Either Rossouw, Burger or Johnson would do in that order.

I'm going to keep my "mouth" shut until the line-ups are out.

Can't believe Kankowski blew his chance either. Guess that was bound to happen seeing as he has been a bench warmer all year round. I would still start him at 8 for this game though, as we need speed at the back to keep up with the likes of Ferris. I would start Deysel at 7 instead of Rossouw. Bring on Danie if Kankowski is playing badly.

Then like we saw against the Italians, if we play guys in their proper positions, we dominate. Beast, Smit at Hooker, and Botha tore the Italian scrum apart. Castro was pushed backwards by the Beast, and our game picked up as soon as we started winning the scrums.

The last thing we need to do, is get rid of Jacobs. Olivier is playing much better rugby than him. It's such a shame we need to iron out the obvious in order to make sure we have a shot.

If these issues are addressed, Ireland shouldn't be a problem.

Damn I love playing the Sprinkboks.

There is always a miracle cure just around the corner and a series of ready made excuses at hand in case something does go wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 23 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Damn I love playing the Sprinkboks.

There is always a miracle cure just around the corner and a series of ready made excuses at hand in case something does go wrong.[/b]

Don't start this now...at least wait till after the match.

Em, they do have a miracle cure...or at least tactic. 2 in fact.

1. Target the Scrum
2. Target Ronan O'Gara (who for some reason looks to be the starter).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Nov 23 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love all this massacre talk, Boggle first then Munster Man[/b]

Wait, what ?

I said nothing about a massacre, I'm thinking this is going to be a close game, I just believe if we play the correct people in the correct positions as well, we should win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Nov 23 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The last thing we need to do, is get rid of Jacobs. Olivier is playing much better rugby than him. It's such a shame we need to iron out the obvious in order to make sure we have a shot.[/b]

At last you've seen the light! :bravo:

Latest posts