• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs. Barbarians 27 May 2008

O

O'Rothlain

Well, with B.O'D. having to withdraw from the team after the death of a close family friend, Ireland faced the Baa Baas today. I've yet to see the match but am hoping that it magically arrives on my pc. So, let's hear some discussion about the pro's and con's we can take away from this match.
Setanta Sport had this to say:
</span></span>
<blockquote>Caretaker coach Michael Bradley took charge of an experimental Irish side that impressed when playing free-flowing counter-attack rugby.
</blockquote>In Contrast the BBC penned these lovely words:
<blockquote>Ireland's understrength team were scarcely impressive but still claimed a facile victory over a disorganised Barbarians outfit at Kingsholm.
</blockquote>Differing reviews from two seperate media sources. I personally would prefer to believe Setanta over the imperialist run overlords of the BBC...ha ha. :D
kearney_barbarians.jpg

bowe_try_barbarians.jpg

Timeline from IrishRugby.ie (http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_12310.php):
TIME LINE: 5 minutes - Ireland try: Tommy Bowe - 5-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 7-0; 10 mins - Ireland penalty: Paddy Wallace - 10-0; 21 mins - Ireland try: Shane Horgan - 15-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 17-0; 25 mins - Ireland try: Shane Horgan - 22-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 24-0; 40+2 mins - Barbarians try: Craig Newby - 24-5; conversion: Peter Newby - 24-7;
Half-time - Ireland 24 Barbarians 7;
46 mins - Ireland sin-binning: Isaac Boss (deliberate offside); 54 mins - Ireland penalty: Paddy Wallace - 27-7; 58 mins - Ireland try: Jamie Heaslip - 32-7; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 34-7; 69 mins - Barbarians try: Pedrie Wannenburg - 34-12; conversion: Peter Hewat - 34-14; 80+1 mins - Ireland try: Jamie Heaslip - 39-14; conversion: missed by Paddy Wallace - 39-14;
Full-time - Ireland 39 Barbarians 14
666699fh1.jpg

Which team were the Barbarians? Seriously Ireland played more "Barbarians Rugby" than they did.

Ahhh the BaBa's as a tradition is quickly dying. Gone are the days when the best in the world used to wear the shirt, now you havent a clue who half these guys are.

Aside from slotting over two penalties Ireland entered into the spirit of the game and ran the ball from pretty much everywhere. Good hands, good support but not much of a challenge really.

Still, a handy workout.

Any chance of highlights? I found a video of Bowe's try (and a good try at that!) on YouTube, but no ighlights.

Which team were the Barbarians? Seriously Ireland played more "Barbarians Rugby" than they did. [/b]
Wait till the Munster lads get back in the team with Kidney in charge - nobody will see the ball again ... ever!

Gentlemen,and Laetca,

I present to you the highlights:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/31tlGCYbS78&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/31tlGCYbS78&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSrYfEGXlBk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSrYfEGXlBk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sadly enough I went to the game last night and it was typical modern day Barbarians game. Credit to both sides for having a go but the Baa Baa`s defence was dreadfull to say the least. It was a bit of a let down that O`Driscoll had to pull out but the Irish side contained some of their better players apart from the Munster contingent. Horgan looked the most classy player on the park for Ireland with Newby (Leicesters new signing) the pick of a poor Baa Baas team. Just a quick word on Larkham. What a sad sight to see a former great so far off the pace it was embarrasing. The guy looked like an old man, not even remotely fit.Big shame that as he was the only really big name picked. Dont think the jap league can be up to much based on his performance and lack of conditioning.

How did Ross Skeate do? I love that dude lol
[/b]

"ROSS SKEATE STRETCHES THE LEGS!" :lol:

Im not sure, only saw the end of the first half, Ireland scored some very good tries. The baabaas now are filled with alot of journeymen, how about Sioseni Anesi though? cutting Tommy Bowe down (a fellow winger) from 15 metres behind in seconds.

Sadly enough I went to the game last night and it was typical modern day Barbarians game. Credit to both sides for having a go but the Baa Baa`s defence was dreadfull to say the least. It was a bit of a let down that O`Driscoll had to pull out but the Irish side contained some of their better players apart from the Munster contingent. Horgan looked the most classy player on the park for Ireland with Newby (Leicesters new signing) the pick of a poor Baa Baas team. Just a quick word on Larkham. What a sad sight to see a former great so far off the pace it was embarrasing. The guy looked like an old man, not even remotely fit.Big shame that as he was the only really big name picked. Dont think the jap league can be up to much based on his performance and lack of conditioning.
[/b]

Wasnt Jerry Collins on at all? to be honest though he has been off form for a while as well though.

I thought Anesi had a shocker personally, very fast though.
[/b]
Anesi was probably the worst defensive player on view that evening. The guy is a serious coward when it comes to tackling. On Skeate he got around the park pretty well but didnt do a lot. Looked very lightweight so lacked any real physical threat.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Anesi was probably the worst defensive player on view that evening. The guy is a serious coward when it comes to tackling. On Skeate he got around the park pretty well but didnt do a lot. Looked very lightweight so lacked any real physical threat.
[/b][/quote]

Yea Skeate is quite lightweight, he normally starts on the bench for the Stormers. He was a basketball player so he is very skillful and his height is useful, i thought the Baa baas style of play would have suited him.

I never watched much of the game, Anesi doesnt usually start for the Chiefs so that obviously explains it, his chase on Bowe was very impressive though.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Yea Skeate is quite lightweight, he normally starts on the bench for the Stormers. He was a basketball player so he is very skillful and his height is useful, i thought the Baa baas style of play would have suited him.

I never watched much of the game, Anesi doesnt usually start for the Chiefs so that obviously explains it, his chase on Bowe was very impressive though.
[/b][/quote]
The Baa Baa`s didnt have a style of play

I wouldn't take the game seriously - Malcolm O'Kelly finding gaps in midfield says all you need to know about the opposition.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
The Baa Baa`s didnt have a style of play
[/b][/quote]

well the stereotypical stlye of Baabaas play is open free running rugby. Not in this case of course.

Latest posts