Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Ireland v Japan
Date: Saturday 3rd July 2021
Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Kick-off: 1:00pm
Referee: Karl Dickson (England)
TV Coverage: Live on RTE (ROI) and Channel 4 (UK)

First Ireland match since the 8th February 2020 to have fans at it.

Expect we'll have a stronger side out this week than vs the US. Ryan seems to be the only injury concern.

Kinsella saying to expect as strong a team as Farrell can pick. Probably just speculating but I imagine he is right.

With that in mind I'd expect
1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Bealham
4. Dillane
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony
7. Van der Flier
8. Doris
9. Gibson Park
10. Carbery
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Farrell
14. Larmour
15. Keenan

16. Herring
17. Byrne
18. O'Toole
19. Baird
20. Coombes
21. Casey
22. Burns
23. Conway

Not what I WANT to see obviously, but I don't think I will be far off

Japan looked a bit porous in the 1st half against the Lions to say the least, they did tighten it up in the 3nd half though to be fair. Ireland should still have too much for them now they are playing without the handicap of being a World Cup game. :p

Kinsella saying to expect as strong a team as Farrell can pick. Probably just speculating but I imagine he is right.

With that in mind I'd expect
1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Bealham
4. Dillane
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony
7. Van der Flier
8. Doris
9. Gibson Park
10. Carbery
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Farrell
14. Larmour
15. Keenan

16. Herring
17. Byrne
18. O'Toole
19. Baird
20. Coombes
21. Casey
22. Burns
23. Conway

Not what I WANT to see obviously, but I don't think I will be far off

Almost exactly right. Starting 15 perfect. On the bench, John Ryan instead of O'Toole, and Daly instead of Conway.

If picking the strongest team I'd want Coombes and POM to swap, Hume in for McCloskey and HB for Billy Burns.

Feel flat after seeing a Farrell team as per.

Edit: Balacoune for Larmour too fersherr.

Last edited:
Expected but still disappointingly conservative. Even if you want to go that direction surely you could still have O'Toole and Balocounne on the bench instead of Ryan and Daly.

It's a pity POM is involved in this series as Coombes starting and Timoney or Boyle on the bench makes it much more exciting.

Also annoyed at how limited our centre partnership is. Still this is a good Japan team so should be a good test.

I know you have to strike a balance between experience and blooding in youngsters in the AI, especially against Japan who are handy. But Casey is the only relative newcomer in the backs right? (And he was in the 6 nations squad)

I know you have to strike a balance between experience and blooding in youngsters in the AI, especially against Japan who are handy. But Casey is the only relative newcomer in the backs right? (And he was in the 6 nations squad)
Yeah pretty much. Some incumbents who are definitely worse than the young lads they're blocking too. Its peak Farrell.

I understand AF is treating this as a fairly full on first choice where possible affair but I have some issues.
  • I would have liked O'Toole at 18. He's had a lot invested in him, will be against a pretty poor scrum by international standards and Ryan in his mid 30s is not even playing very well.
  • Coombes in for O'Mahony really wouldn't cost us anything. Pretty easy to compare form when they play in the same side. Coombes has been a better carrier, has played more 6 and is a bigger turnover threat than PO'M this year.
  • My issues with JGP are known, I wouldn't have him in the 23.
  • This centre pairing don't cut it at international level. They're both good tacklers, but if left to scramble like the Lions were last week they probably won't do a great job and could easily leave their wingers hanging. If one goes down I presume Carbery will shift to 12?
  • Burns ain't got it. Carbery is back now as a good backup for a sunsetting Sexton, lets try a young 10 as well.
I don't have an issue with Daly ahead of Baloucoune (shocker) his form did pick up at the end of the year, and he has had sfa actual time with Ireland despite all the camp time. Think Larmour is the luckier boy there.

Depends what we're considering a newcomer, JGP, Keenan, Casey and Daly all got their first caps under Farrell, most if them in November. Some of the others are probably also younger than some realise. Still it pretty much is the most conservative backline he could have gone for given the squad.

This is what I said could happen in the squad thread. I think apart from tighthead every position selected has the most capped players either starting or in the 23 and majority have most capped players starting. I know teams like to win, but picking POM especially seems pointless. I can't see Farrell learning a great deal from this selection.

Shameful that the irfu are forcing mortally wounded Ryan to play in a full body cast

injured cast GIF by Cuco

Japanese flyhalf waving POM back and refusing to take the kick until he's the full 10, ha

Latest posts