• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

Aka Quinn Roux 2, Selection Boogaloo. I will say that for Kleyn he's a good scrummager by all accounts. To be honest his reasoning for Kleyn is clear. His reasoning for Marmion is a judgement call on who the better player is. Both must have been..... Awkward chats.

Feel sorry for Dilane and Toner

They've been dropped for a 2nd rate South African Donkey who at best
would be a Super Rugby journeyman with no chance of sniffing a Springbok call up

Irish lads born & bred, gone through the pathways getting screwed over for Mercenaries

#MakeIrishRugbyIrishAgain

What males it worse is that Kleyn won't make the Matchday 23 vs Scotland & Japan

Last edited:
Can't believe we dropped a 60 cap player who's been a key player for years for an average South African with a horribly limited skillset, he's a lump but that's it. He can't even carry, Ryan and Henderson are 10 times the players. I was actually hoping that Henderson would start in the WC because honestly I think he's too good to leave out but still. No Toner?

McGrath over Marmion I can't say I agree with even with my Leinster hat on. Not even too happy about it, it's a loss for Leinster as well. Feel sorry for Ross Byrne because he got a horrible job against England while Carty got the dream gig against the Wales B team, but can't say Carty didn't earn the spot and I'm delighted to see it happen, he was nowhere near the Irish squad even a year ago, it's a great story. As I've said before Ross Byrne being with Leinster is worth 10+ league points during this period, he's that good. Delighted for Ruddock as well, I didn't think there was a space for him but with POM covering 7 as well it opened up for him and he'll do well. Another huge loss for Leinster though, that's our captain and our vice-captain gone. Scott Fardy is the only guy left who's been even a semi-regular captain for us, even Luke McGrath is gone.

Larmour was never not going, he's played 18 of the last 22 Ireland games. The 23 shirt is his at this point, although I can see Conway being preferred as a starter.

Happy enough with that, really don't think Kleyn is good enough though. At the very least it shows Joe isn't playing favourites.

When was the last time Conway played 15 for Ireland?
Not often enough but well
Can't believe we dropped a 60 cap player who's been a key player for years for an average South African with a horribly limited skillset, he's a lump but that's it. He can't even carry, Ryan and Henderson are 10 times the players. I was actually hoping that Henderson would start in the WC because honestly I think he's too good to leave out but still. No Toner?

McGrath over Marmion I can't say I agree with even with my Leinster hat on. Not even too happy about it, it's a loss for Leinster as well. Feel sorry for Ross Byrne because he got a horrible job against England while Carty got the dream gig against the Wales B team, but can't say Carty didn't earn the spot and I'm delighted to see it happen, he was nowhere near the Irish squad even a year ago, it's a great story. As I've said before Ross Byrne being with Leinster is worth 10+ league points during this period, he's that good. Delighted for Ruddock as well, I didn't think there was a space for him but with POM covering 7 as well it opened up for him and he'll do well. Another huge loss for Leinster though, that's our captain and our vice-captain gone. Scott Fardy is the only guy left who's been even a semi-regular captain for us, even Luke McGrath is gone.

Larmour was never not going, he's played 18 of the last 22 Ireland games. The 23 shirt is his at this point, although I can see Conway being preferred as a starter.

Happy enough with that, really don't think Kleyn is good enough though. At the very least it shows Joe isn't playing favourites.

I think Conway will finish the RWC as the starting 15. Just think Rob will transition out.

Again all this hype on Kleyn is funny when he won't start and well Schmidt I believe gave a very fair reason.
Ross Byrne was not loosing out simply on the last 3 weeks. Carty has earned that spot much more than Byrne over the past 8 months or so. Not saying Byrne was poor more a reflection of how good Carty has been.

Not often enough but well

I think Conway will finish the RWC as the starting 15. Just think Rob will transition out.

Again all this hype on Kleyn is funny when he won't start and well Schmidt I believe gave a very fair reason.
Ross Byrne was not loosing out simply on the last 3 weeks. Carty has earned that spot much more than Byrne over the past 8 months or so. Not saying Byrne was poor more a reflection of how good Carty has been.
Agree about Carty, just saying Byrne got unlucky with how the warmups panned out which I don't think anyone could disagree with. Whether it'd have made a difference I don't know but the fact that he started against England shows he was at least in contention.

Schmidt gave a fair reason for Kleyn and I understand the rationale, I just think we should be (and can be) be doing better, and have been saying that since day one. This is meant to be our best squad ever, and yet players are getting in without doing anything on the pitch to justify it.

But I will say that Joe was Toner's biggest fan for years, including at times where more or less no one agreed with him on it. If he's getting rid of him now he'll have his reasons.

And I say it means he's done playing favourites which means all bets are off regarding selection and that can only be a good thing. If Best/POM/Stander/Murray/Sexton/Rob don't perform they'll probably be ditched as well and that's great.

This is a huge call from Schmidt. Devin toner has been badly improved in the loose, no longer a liability in the carrying department in particular. But his biggest asset is obviously the lineout, and with substandard throwers in Best and Cronin (and i am an advocate of Rory's, in that his clear out work and mauls are absolutely exceptional), i think Toner masks a major flaw in irish game.
Look no further than the england game, or even when england played all blacks in the Autumn as to how crucial the set piece is. Toner gives solidity in a way Henderson doesn't, his lineout work is passable at best. And if the game is going away in set piece, he will stabilise it. Maybe not the scrum, but with our props, and Rory being credited as one of the best k hookers around, that's not so much of an issue
Really shocked by this, but hopefully O'Mahony and Ryan can stand up and call well. Our timing in the lineout is paramount to Irish success

My worry for Ireland is that Schmidt's been stubborn in dropping favourites, but has been forced into it with Ireland's form this year and some established players struggling. Yes he's given reasons, but it feels more like a knee-jerk reaction after a late realisation, rather than as part of an clear, thought-out plan.

So how many Saffas is in the squad? 3??

Man it's gonna be an awkward encounter should Ireland play NZ in QF's and there's 3 Saffas there to try and figure out the lineout calls.

This makes me really sad. I've no personal axe to grind against Kleyn but as a rugby fan first and foremost I've been massively impressed with Devin Toner's transformation from tall uncoordinated liability to genuinely very good test asset. Lineout attack and defence obviously being primary assets but he obviously worked so hard on his all-round game to achieve the level he did. Dropping all that which has been nurtured by the Irish system for almost the very definition of a project player just seems like a deliberate act of cultural vandalism. Yes it's allowable under the rules, yes other teams do it. I'd still much much prefer if it didn't happen.........

Finally, i reckon it fundamentally weakens Ireland's set piece. Toner provided an obvious target and if the throwers were on their game an almost certain ball retention option. Looking at what's left it's a far more combative unit but I'm not sure on a day where Cronin / Best have the yips whether there's an easy option there.

"Obviously, it was a dream for me to play for the All Blacks", you know, being a kid from New Zealand. But then you get to a stage in your life where you've got to sometimes park dreams and think of opportunity

The above quote is nauseating & disgusting

Irish Rugby is losing its soul in pursuit of Mercenaries and/or Project Players
James Lowe is not Irish, just a Kiwi Mercenary likely to play Int'l rugby for Ireland in 2020
I'm sick of this garbage: it's ruining Int'l Rugby

Luke Fitzgerald & Matt Williams have been bang on in their observations in their last podcast
& Article respectively

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1169654413973237761?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1169654413973237761&ref_url=https://www.the42.ie/james-lowe-4796720-Sep2019/

Listen to these fecking eejits whooping and cheering at the end

Last edited:
"Obviously, it was a dream for me to play for the All Blacks", you know, being a kid from New Zealand. But then you get to a stage in your life where you've got to sometimes park dreams and think of opportunity

The above quote is nauseating & disgusting

Irish Rugby is losing its soul in pursuit of Mercenaries and/or Project Players
James Lowe is not Irish, just a Kiwi Mercenary likely to play Int'l rugby for Ireland in 2020
I'm sick of this ****: it's ruining Int'l Rugby

Luke Fitzgerald & Matt Williams have been bang on in their observations in their last podcast
& Article respectively

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1169654413973237761?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1169654413973237761&ref_url=https://www.the42.ie/james-lowe-4796720-Sep2019/

Listen to these fecking eejits whooping and cheering at the end
Go away

Aplha why though......

The truth is not palatable for you
I can understand as a Leinsterman wanting to protect your guy Lowe

Less competition: Earls will be done in next 2/3 years, Stockdale play Full Back
Larmour is decent player but unproven at Int'l level alot of hype, yet to deliver vs serious competition
Conway is decent but Lowe already is a much better player

Lowe walks into the Irish team in 12 months
If Lowe stayed in New Zealand he would be competing with Bridge, R Ioane, Reece, J Barrett, Ennor

Simply put James Lowe is not sniffing a place in current All Blacks Set up At best he'll be a one cap wonder
If becomes "Irish" he walks into Ireland starting XV along with Stockdale at FB & Earls at wing

He says it himself in the clip I posted #Facts

Aplha why though......

Less competition: Earls will be done in next 2/3 years, Stockdale play Full Back
Larmour is decent player but unproven at Int'l level alot of hype, yet to deliver vs serious competition

If Lowe stayed in New Zealand he would be competing with Bridge, R Ioane, Reece, J Barrett, Ennor

Simply put James Lowe is not sniffing a place in current All Blacks Set up At best he'll be a one cap wonder
If becomes "Irish" he walks into Ireland starting XV along with Stockdale at FB & Earls at wing

Remind me where you're from?

Aplha why though......

He's doing what's best for him, IRDFU doing what's best for them. No one's breaking any rules. It's a game and a job, not a war of blood and honour...

People need to relax the cacks about this stuff. If you're not Argentinian you can't be pointing fingers anyway. (And even then it should be towards WR)

And it's definitely not for this thread.

Why the possibility of a Leinster winger potentially playing for Ireland in 2020 in being discussed in the Ireland world cup thread is well and truly beyond me.
Because Billy's rent boy has an agenda he will bluntly ram into every conversation trying to get a rise.

On actual Irish World Cup news, can we assume Carbery still isn't fit if he wasn't selected as Schmidt said? I wonder if he will be given a full 80 in the group stages.
Also nice to see Earls hit top speeds in training today. He has his critics, but him at full flight is a serious boost to us.

Latest posts