Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by The Alpha Bro, May 19, 2019.

1. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

He was overtaken by a few too and while a good player he will not be much more than A level

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

It’ll be interesting who he ties himself to internationally as if he felt he was going to struggle to nail down a spot at Munster as he transitioned out of the age group team, he would obviously feel it even more unlikely with the Irish test set up.

In all honesty, from the little I know and the bits you guys have mentioned it does smack a little of ‘he probably’ feels it much more likely that he could eventually make it into the Wales set up now that he has witnessed the depth of talent from an Irish perspective. Not sure how I or the Welsh fans in general will feel about him because of what will probably be the perceived opinion on his exploits between each Union.

Obviously it’ll all depend on how he performs, if he chose Wales and eventually scored tries at test level I’m sure we’d all conveniently forget about his little sojourn across the Irish Sea. If he struggles, it’ll be the preemptive introduction about him every time he is talked about.

4. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

He never struck me as a guy who really excelled at under 20 or anything but then again we didn't see much of him in time often under the cosh. Don't think he'd ever have made inroads with Munster any time soon when as Profitius said the likes of Nash have seen little enough time, and Fitzgerald had to move. It's a shame he didn't get wait and get a shot but he was probably streetwise enough to see what his options were. Our squad has been fairly heavily trimmed now, which is a good thing, and long overdue, but I'd always like to see what could come of young guys like McCarthy.

5. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

You're right there, a lot of young lads have looked very promising when they've played but have struggled to get gametime.

6. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

No mention anywhere but Mike Catt will join Ireland after RWC

7. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Jesus and that's Bingo on the former English coaching team. Was joking we'd get him just to get the band together and the mad lads actually did it.

8. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Brendan Fanning mentioned it this morning. He's usually very reliable.

No idea if it's a good appointment or not but I have concerns about the new coaching team, primarily because Andy Farrell has never been top dog before. The positive of having so many coaches with international experience with the provinces (Lancaster, McBryde, van Graan, Larkham, Rowntree, Friend, McFarland) is that if the new team fail, there are ready made and proven replacements in the system.

9. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Equally all those names feed in to Farrell and he can call them in to have input. I am convinced of 1 thing. Farrell is no fool and I trust despite no experience he is up to task and served a superb apprenticeship. I presume he won't go near Lions though as an assistant coach as he will want to stay with Ireland and use that summer too.

10. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Will rad lad Addison has been added to our extended world cup squad

11. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Lovely stuff, my dream of a RWC squad without Andrew Conway just got far more likely!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

With an Englishman in your squad you'll either not leave the group or make the final - no in betweens

• Like Like x 1
  13. hbijbjon

hbijbjon Academy Player

Addison is a a very useful player I'd have him in my Irish RWC squad
    With 13 backs here are my choices:

Conor Murray Kieran Marmion John Cooney

Jonathan Sexton Joey Carbery

Robbie Henshaw Garry Ringrose Bundee Aki

Jacob Stockdale Keith Earls Rob Kearney

Jordan Larmour
    Will Addison

Chris Farrell would be 14th back

14. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Words on the camp are himself and Porter are 2 huge standouts. Porter has supposedly made a mockery of all the LH props the past 2 weeks at scrum time.

Conway has supposedly stood out too.

Kleyn has been fast tracked in to alot too. Not sure if a sign of in case of being a backup or has a chance.

Aki has been the worry is what has come from camp

15. hbijbjon

hbijbjon Academy Player

Bundee O'Aki will make the squad barring injury

Conway a solid player but Int'l class I'm not sure

Kleyn - another case of Ireland abusing Eligibility rules with "Project Players"

16. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Imagine criticising teams for playing by the rules... Imagine that being your thing!

17. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Never said Aki would not make it. His form is off.
    Conway. Thats your opinion on his standard. I'd disagree. But again it's his form.
    Kleyn. Not really abused. Followed rules and Munster found him and took him here not Ireland. He is now eligible and has a chance. Nearly every team has imports bu the way

18. hbijbjon

hbijbjon Academy Player

Alpha that's a weak excuse

Irish, Scots & Japanese are the only Rugby nations I know of who go out of their way to
    import SA, Kiwis players for example with explicit aim of making them for their "Adopted Nation"

This is an abuse of the rules Weasel words are not going to cut it

Georgia SA Argentina Fiji Russia etc don't import Mercenaries/ 2nd rate players

How about Irish, Scots & Japanese Rugby Unions fix their act up on this matter

19. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

The term project player gets pounced on by people who haven't a clue what they're talking about really. It's a way for the IRFU to restrict foreign imports, there will never be anymore than 12 foreigners on long term contracts between Ulster, Leinster and Munster, 4 each and one of them, the project player, has to be uncapped. (It's changing in recent years and appears to be more of a case by case basis that has to be passed by David Nucifora and Schmidt) In about 10 years since the term has been used the project players probably have less than half the caps between them than the Beast so it's really nothing to be up on a high horse over.

The IRFU don't sign any players apart from central contracts for established Irish internationals, a project player is no different to Nathan Hughes or Hadleigh Parkes, they just have a name under the system restricting "poaching" of foreign talent in Ireland.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. profitius

profitius First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Let the facts do the talking. Compare Ireland with other nations. No point talking about it without showing evidence comparing Ireland to other teams.

21. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

I think it’s been said but it’s a point worth reinforcing... if Argentina or South Africa had a blend of economy and club game that would attract foreign talent, it’s a pretty sure thing that they would have similar players qualified through residency. As it stands, these foreign mercenary style players are far more likely to go to Japan, France and England first, followed by Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It’s just the state of the global game more than any particular nations lack of ethics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!