Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

4. Beirne
5. Ryan
19. Roux/Dillanne

If it's a bench spot I'd prefer Dillane. Ideally Daly will step in for Larmour. Hopefully avoid Stockdale or Henshaw there.

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

4. Beirne
5. Ryan
19. Roux/Dillanne

If it's a bench spot I'd prefer Dillane. Ideally Daly will step in for Larmour. Hopefully avoid Stockdale or Henshaw there.
Roux isn't an impact player off bench. Ryan Baird was probably perfect for the role. I'd be brave and throw Fineen in ahead of both. He has a higher ceiling and well it a free pass as it unusual times.

Biggest issue will be for me the front row. Not too worried about 15 as Larrmour only improved when moving to wing and Daly was much better 15 when we played earlier this year. Hugo has done well there also.

Backrow. On form issue is who goes 8 and 6. For me CJ is by a country mile the best 8 available. And I'd argue the best backrow in the country at the moment. And for that he probably fills the 6 jersey better than Doris who will go 8 if we look at balance. Pete I know is a top player. And gets alot of unfair criticism from our blue neighbours and will be ridiculed no matter what but on form he is well off. 7 I'd start VDF and well bench I'd like to see Connors tested.

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Roux isn't an impact player off bench. Ryan Baird was probably perfect for the role. I'd be brave and throw Fineen in ahead of both. He has a higher ceiling and well it a free pass as it unusual times.

Biggest issue will be for me the front row. Not too worried about 15 as Larrmour only improved when moving to wing and Daly was much better 15 when we played earlier this year. Hugo has done well there also.

Backrow. On form issue is who goes 8 and 6. For me CJ is by a country mile the best 8 available. And I'd argue the best backrow in the country at the moment. And for that he probably fills the 6 jersey better than Doris who will go 8 if we look at balance. Pete I know is a top player. And gets alot of unfair criticism from our blue neighbours and will be ridiculed no matter what but on form he is well off. 7 I'd start VDF and well bench I'd like to see Connors tested.
I'd agree. Dillanne is a much better 19 than Roux. Throwing Wycherly in would be a good call. Pity Baird isn't fit as he'd have been perfect.

In the backrow Doris and Stander are the obvious starters but the issue is where. I think Stander is much better at 6 than Doris is. Obviously swapping club positions isn't ideal but it's the best option for me. Doris was never a 6 until a few months ago whearas Stander has spent a lot of his Ireland career there. Vdf starting with Connors on the bench seems best. Connors has been amazing but Josh was one of the best players in the country pre lockdown and his form hasn't dipped since then.

big ginger 8

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Wycherley is 6’4” not a lot of international second rows running around at that height. I really like him as a player but hard to see him having a future at international level in the row. He’s also not currently in the squad proper.

Might be all moot anyway if we go to level 5 the match isn’t allowed to go ahead unless they make an exception.

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Wycherley is 6’4” not a lot of international second rows running around at that height. I really like him as a player but hard to see him having a future at international level in the row. He’s also not currently in the squad proper.

Might be all moot anyway if we go to level 5 the match isn’t allowed to go ahead unless they make an exception.
Long term none of options are valid. Yes he's only in training squad but still worth a shot. His height is probably slightly more but still small for international game but he has skills and ability and better than some of other options.
If we go to Level 5 I rhing we will still be exempt and allowed go on but live in bubble

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Long term none of options are valid. Yes he's only in training squad but still worth a shot. His height is probably slightly more but still small for international game but he has skills and ability and better than some of other options.
If we go to Level 5 I rhing we will still be exempt and allowed go on but live in bubble
Although all trainees are returning back to provinces.

Groundhog

#1 Cuck
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Larmour out for 16 weeks. Dave Kearney, James Tracy and Harry Byrne have returned to Leinster as expected. Interestingly Lowe is staying with Ireland even though he can't play until November. Casey and Wyycherley are back with Munster.

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Larmour out for 16 weeks. Dave Kearney, James Tracy and Harry Byrne have returned to Leinster as expected. Interestingly Lowe is staying with Ireland even though he can't play until November. Casey and Wyycherley are back with Munster.
To be fair we've only got 4 back 3 players in the squad so someone has to train and he's well ahead of the other options. I am a bit worried that 5 centres and 4 back three players in the squad means we're back looking at Henshaw as a fullback. Hopefully Daly gets the nod.

The only real contentious selections are 2 and 9, Aki has pulled ahead at 12 and most people would be happy enough with either option at 7. I hope we pick Kelleher but expect to see Herring despite the fact that his throwing has been pretty poor since the restart. Same situation with Marmion and Murray.