• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Isolation Years

O'Sullivan should have been used. Some younger lads brought in for experience in camp.
And some better planning like how did we end up away with 5 props. 1injured that he couldn't play another pulled up and effectively had 3 props
Fair enough, honestly with todays side I agree with you more.

Fair enough, honestly with todays side I agree with you more.
As I said from very start I'm Keith Earls and Peter O'Mahony biggest supporters on here. And think if RWC final was today both 100% deserve to be in 23. However it's not and forward thinking needed

As I said from very start I'm Keith Earls and Peter O'Mahony biggest supporters on here. And think if RWC final was today both 100% deserve to be in 23. However it's not and forward thinking needed
I agree with you. We don't need calm heads from the bench, or in XV against Georgia. And I've always felt that wing is the position where you should just pick whoever is tearing it up at the moment

Sensible.

Sexton was and should have been a one off. Let it slip again now and the system is done.

Was looking at that tweet. Few mega minds in the replies quoting nonsense about EU labor law or Sexton being picked, completely unaware that overseas players were picked before Sexton, he was just notably the last player we picked from abroad, and partially probably the reason we don't pick from abroad.

More wait and see now on Leinster giving out when some lads move for central contracts to other provinces.

Crazy as it sounds it is now possible for say Ulster to be allowed get a player on an IRFU contract where same player may only be able to get an average Provincial contract staying at Leinster.

This is a new dynamic being discussed to basically maximise top players and spread them out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Harry Byrne will train with Ireland this week after Billy Burns ruled out of Scotland game. <br><br>Ed Byrne and James Lowe also ruled out. <br><br>Johnny Sexton and Robbie Henshaw passed fit.</p>&mdash; Murray Kinsella (@Murray_Kinsella) <a href="">December 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good that Sexton and Henshaw are fit especially with Burns out.

Was initially excited at HB but from Kinsella's wording seems he's just there for cover and numbers. Still at least he's officially ahead of Carty now.

I'm fairly optimistic about Irish rugby at the moment in terms of player strength, very little faith in our coach's ability to select the correct players unfortunately. We have an outrageously soft draw in the 6n this next year and I would have been very hopeful of a slam nearly any of the last 7 years, for Farrell I think four wins should be the absolute minimum, any less and we should get him out before it's too late heading into the next RWC.

Loosehead is really our only area of massive concern, we have Healy and then a lot of lads I'd barely trust in a Heino match, definitely the biggest challenge and admittedly, and fortunately, a position I know nothing about.

Hooker - Kelleher starts, Herring is 30 and not good, why has he been given so much game time. Hopefully Sheehan gets some Euro minutes because he looks like he's worth a fast track.

Tighthead - When Furlong and Porter are fit we possibly have the strongest tightheads in the world, and we have a few guys who you'd trust for 20mins against nearly anyone too, in good hands here.

Locks - Ryan will come good for this tournament I'm fairly certain. Quin Roux benched when we had literally 0 significant injuries here... Henderson, Baird and Beirne are a very strong supporting cast, don't let that happen again.

Backrow - Stander, Leavy, Doris... That's fairly formidable. Connors, Coombes, O'Donoghue, Deegan and Penny can all be brought in, no need for POM at this stage of his career even if he showed he can still do a job.

9 - Casey, Murray to bench and JGP an able deputy

10 - Sexton will still be the main man, H Byrne and Ben Healy ought to be the other two in the squad.

Centre - Ringrose and Henshaw are the best available, Aki is grand. Frawley and Hume should be looked at following some European game time, McCloskey isn't and never was at the level.

Back three - A lot of options here, I like the look of Lowe and Larmour on the wings with Stockdale at 15. If Stockdale tidies up a bit that is as dangerous a back three as we've had since Murphy, Horgan and Hickie. There's still space in the squad for Conway and hopefully Balacoune will be fit too but Keenan looks like a great option for 23. I'd like Jimmy O'Brien in the squad too if his form continues.

I genuinely think there's a squad capable of a slam there but not if we see POM, Earls and Murray start games or Sexton playing 80 minutes.

@The Alpha Bro All looks good. Few issues and very small.

- Backrow is strong but in current climate can you see all Leinster lads remaining in current climate.
- 10 is a slight issue. Sexton could be out door in June unless he takes a Monster cut is the rumour. Harry Byrne needs to be put ahead of Ross Byrne too. I would argue if he is not in European squads this year he will be going backwards.
- 9 I think for next year will see Murray starting and Casey finishing.

An extended u20 squad met today, names weren't officially announced but this is what was rumoured.

LH Prop
Jack Boyle(Michaels/Leinster) - u19
George Saunderson(Sullivan/Ulster)
Mark Donnelly(CBC/Munster)
Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock/Leinster)

TH Prop
Oscar Egan(Coleraine/Ulster)
Sam Illo(Wesley/Leinster)
Ben Griffin(Castleknock/Leinster)
Paddy McAlpine(Campbell/Ulster)

Hooker
Tom Stewart(BRA/Ulster)
Lee Barron(Michaels/Leinster)
James McCormick(Dalradia/Ulster) - u19
Eoin de Buitlear(An Gaelthacht/Connacht)

Lock
Joe McCarthy(Blackrock/Leinster)
Mark Morrissey(Blackrock/Leinster) - u19
Harry Sheridan(Sullivan/Ulster)
Darragh Murray(Buccaneers/Connacht)

Backrow
Alex Soroka(Belvedere/Leinster)
Will Hickey(Michaels/Leinster)
Mark Boyle(Gorey/Leinster)
Hubert Costello(Corinthians/Connacht)
Oisin McCormack(Ballinasloe/Connacht)
Donnacha Byrne(Sligo/Connacht)
Diarmuid McCormack(Clongowes/Connacht)
Alex Kendellen(PBC/Munster)
Daniel Okeke(Ardscoil Ris/Munster)
Nick Greene(Bandon Grammar/Munster) - u19
Conor Moloney(Ennis RFC/Munster) - u19
Rueben Crothers(Wallace/Ulster) - u19

Scrumhalf
Nathan Doak(Wallace/Ulster)
Conor McKee(Ulster)
Ben Murphy(Pres Bray/Munster)
Will Reilly(Portlaoise/Leinster)
Matthew Devine(Ballinasloe/Connacht) - u19
Ethan Coughlan(Ennis RFC/Munster) - u19

Outhalf
Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC/Leinster)
Charlie Tector(Kilkenny/Leinster) - u19
Cian Whooley(CBC/Munster)
Cathal Forde(Corinthians/Connacht)

Outside Backs
Ben Moxham(Ballymena/Ulster)
Conor Rankin(Campbell/Ulster)
Jude Postlethwaite(RBAI/Ulster) - u19
Ben Carson(Wallace/Ulster)
Shane Jennings(Ballinasloe RFC/Connacht)
Hubert Gilvarry(Sligo RFC/Connacht)
Rory McCleane(Oughterard RFC/Connacht)
Marcus Kiely(Newbridge/Leinster)
Karl Martin(Boyne RFC/Leinster) - u19
Jamie Osborne(Naas RFC/Leinster)
Chris Cosgrave(Michaels/Leinster)
Shane Mallon(Longford RFC-Roscrea/Leinster) - u19
Harry O'Riordan(CBC/Munster)
Alan Flannery(Rockwell/Munster)
Aaron Leahy(CBC/Munster)
Dan Kelly(Leicester)

Also the refs for the 6N were announced, we have Raynal against England...

"Former Ireland and Munster captain Paul O'Connell has joined the Ireland national coaching group as forwards coach with Simon Easterby to focus on defence... Paul brings a wealth of rugby knowledge with him and as forwards coach he will have responsibility for the forwards including the line-out working alongside John (Fogarty). "

Latest posts