Irish teams might be reducing the number of non Irish qualified players

profitius

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
According the Gerry Thornley last night on the radio they're thinking of reducing the number of NIQ's by 1 after next season. Theres 6 allowed currently and then there'll be 1 allowed.

Its the right time to do it I think. The provinces have had over a decade to get their academies sorted so a reduction should not effect the team too much. Its only by one player.

I hope they scrap this project player nonsense too.

This is no secret expected to start in August 2012

Can't see that being scrapped Profitius as its a sneaky way to get 1/2 SH guys in.

Last edited:
This is no secret expected to start in August 2012

Can't see that being scrapped Profitius as its a sneaky way to get 1/2 SH guys in.

Whats the eventual target MM? Have they got one or will they take it by a year by year basis?

Does anyone know how many NZ teams are allowed? I think they're way stricter than Irish teams.

IRFU eventually want it to be 3 max but no date set.
Also all it will do is see provinces raid Currie Cup teams etc for non-capped players who can be used as project player. Still alot of details to be ironed out

Still takes them 3 years to qualify, so they don't count until then.

What you will see, I'd expect, is the "Jack Charlton's Guide to Finding Irish Grannies for Dummies" will see an even bigger resurgence in popularity.

Yes Peat it takes 3 years but IRFU don't count them as NIQ spots

Then why is every province limited to one? I thought the IRFU's ruling was 6 NIQs, one of whom must be working toward IQ status. I sincerely doubt they'll say "Three NIQs! But go ahead and have all the projects you like..."

Obviously they try to limit the project guys because you could have 15 Southern Hemisphere guys uncapped as project players. Also you'd get more than one project player if needed ie if munster had 1 project player then signed a prop IRFU would allow. But difference comes when funding is concerned too. IRFU will donate more for a project player but also give more terms and conditions

How many NIQ's do leinster have on the cards ..I hope to god that chap Galarza is not taking up space

On Leinsters books now they have.
S. Berne
N. Hines
I. Nacewa
R. Strauss (Project Player)
H. Van Der Merwe
S. Wright

But also this season they had Clint Newland and Galzara so technically they had 8. But my point as I was saying was Strauss and Newland (Some project) were stated as project players and don't effect NIQ quota

Newland and Galarza were short term cover. Both have moved on. Newland was never (NEVER) a project player. He was short term cover in the front row for Stans injury.

I've said they moved on Log and basically rules are you can only have 6 NIQ on books but Newland was put on as project player. I know both guys are gone.

Fine can you explain so how Leinster have 8 NIQ players when quota was 6.
You really don't seem to have clue at times. Obviously Leinster were never keeping him but were entitled to say he was a project player in offical terms to keep within the quota. The IRFU sanctioned it and no other province objected because we understood reasons etc but technically he wasn't signed as NIQ player and why would it say it regardless on that article where it's just Schmidt welcoming the guy basically.

There rules on qualification need changing. 6 years residency would be about right and 1 parent instead of grandparent.

You really don't seem to have clue at times. Obviously Leinster were never keeping him but were entitled to say he was a project player in offical terms to keep within the quota. The IRFU sanctioned it and no other province objected because we understood reasons etc but technically he wasn't signed as NIQ player and why would it say it regardless on that article where it's just Schmidt welcoming the guy basically.

I thought only 1 project player is allowed?

Yes 1 is the usual quota but this had to be granted and Munster or Ulster would get it to if required. It an emergency short term player. But it categorised as a project player because I think the quota law is alot more rigid than the project idea. But yes in terms of long term it is only 1 project player

Nope. I presume an exception was allowed to cover short term injury issues in the second row (Hogan and Cullen) and the Front Row (Stan). No big deal, and no need to make **** up.

But yes in terms of long term it is only 1 project player
Leinster have two (long term) next year.

You really need to stop making **** up.

Last edited:
Fine you go by your stories and I'll go by what I know for facts.
But cover for Wright when AIs were on I'll accept but they got Shawe in too so guess you forgot that.
And 2nd row was signed for depth but hardly exemption when Hogan is injury prone but you loose Cullwn and you still had enough for it to be crisis but think what you like.
All I know is Munster got a letter asking to approve (as did others) but all did as it's a gentlemans agreement between provinces so do you be feeding **** about quotas. If you've a crisis you have a pick from academy and AIL

Latest posts