• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is a "Slide Tackle" legal?

mcougy

Academy Player
A couple weeks ago during a sevens match, a guy slide tackled me. It was a loose ball and basically it was a foot race between he and I to get to the ball. If I got it, it would have been a try for sure. I got there first by about a step and was just going to scoop it up (had my hands on the ball)) when he kicked it away via a slide tackle. Would this be considered dangerous since I was already upon the ball? The reason I ask is because his body (and full speed momentum) landed right into my ankle and it's been in bad shape since then. The more I think about it, the more the fact that he resorted to a slide tackle ****** me off. Was it legal? If legal, would it still be considered cheap or was he fully in his rights to do this? Thanks to anyone that can clear this up.

I would say definatley a dangerous tackle but Smartcooky will no doubt clear this up for you

I would say definatley a dangerous tackle but Smartcooky will no doubt clear this up for you

This is the que for brilliantly thought out response with direct reference to the rulebook..while probably giving an example via photographic evidence of some sort... really a quality poster

A couple weeks ago during a sevens match, a guy slide tackled me. It was a loose ball and basically it was a foot race between he and I to get to the ball. If I got it, it would have been a try for sure. I got there first by about a step and was just going to scoop it up (had my hands on the ball)) when he kicked it away via a slide tackle. Would this be considered dangerous since I was already upon the ball? The reason I ask is because his body (and full speed momentum) landed right into my ankle and it's been in bad shape since then. The more I think about it, the more the fact that he resorted to a slide tackle ****** me off. Was it legal? If legal, would it still be considered cheap or was he fully in his rights to do this? Thanks to anyone that can clear this up.

My iimmediate thoughts are as follows, but if you don't mind, I will post your question on the referees forum and see what others think.

10.4 DANGEROUS PLAY AND MISCONDUCT

(c) Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick

(d) Tripping. A player must not trip an opponent with the leg or foot.

I your case, I think you could rightly have expected the referee to ping your opponent for dangerous play.

If the player had successfully kicked the ball away from you without colliding with you, I would be inclined to let it go, but warn the player that it could be potentially dangerous if he got it wrong.

However, it is illegal to kick the ball out of another player's hands if he is attempting to score a try

LAW 22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY

(e) Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.

(f) In this situation, defending players who are on their feet may legally prevent the try by pulling the ball from the tackled player’s hands or arms, but must not kick the ball.

Incidentally, a player would also not be allowed to slide on the ground and tackle you (by grabbing you and pulling you down) if you have successfully picked up the ball.

LAW 14: BALL ON THE GROUND

14.1 Players on the ground

(d) A player on the ground must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.

However, it is illegal to kick the ball out of another player's hands if he is attempting to score a try
I didn't know that!
There's that video of England/Wales 7s match where the Wales player kicks the ball out of the English players hand as he was putting it down really slowly to take the ****

Yeah, it was Isoa Damudamu who got the ball kicked out of his hands. I remember seeing it happen, it was pretty funny. Found the famous video on Youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have a few answers.

There were varying opinions, most of which varied between penalty kick and yellow card. This one pretty much sums up all of them

The player had his hands on the ball so in this situation I would deem him to have possession (and is the 'ball carrier').

Law 7 makes no mention of being able to use your feet to get the ball from the ball carrier. Law 10.4 (e) states that you cannot tackle a ball carrier dangerously. Also note that it says tackle the ball carrier, and not take possession of the ball.

For me, in this situation, it is an illegal move as it is dangerous, and carries a high risk of injury.

Rugby is also a game for players on their feet, so I can't see how you can allow someone to recklessly dive in with their feet on the ground such that they're not in control of their body. Even if this was deemed to be a tackle, then law 14.1 (d) would come into effect:

(d) A player on the ground must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.

If this occurred in Association Football, then the likelihood would be that a YC is shown as it is reckless play. If however they made contact with the ball first, and no (or minimal) contact with the player in possession subsequently, then it would be a fair challenge.

However in rugby, I would think that if a player has possession of the ball, and is therefore the ball carrier, then they must be tackled properly, with body to body contact, and a clear attempt to grasp. For me, this 'slide' doesn't constitute a tackle, and as such is not permissible.

In this sort of situation, I think the issue is one about timing. If you get it right and make contact with the ball before your opponent makes contact with the ball, you save a definite try. If you get it wrong the try is scored and you're most likely in the cooler for at least ten minutes.

I pinged someone for this today. Ive just started refing and dont know the laws as well as your man here but as I see it simply if a player acts in any way that I deem to be dangerous its a Pen! Simple?

Latest posts