• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is it a good or bad idea to wear a headguard

04perryo

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Worcester
Ok well i play flanker and have been hit in the head a few times and got concussion. I am wondering whether a scrum cap will help stop that. Also i have played number 8 even tho im not the biggest but apparently i could get cauliflower ear and apparently a headguard stops is that true? Finally are they annoying 2 wear if they r should i play without one?

they re incredibly annoying to wear worth it if you re getting concussed also i'm a prop and i don't get cauliflower ears and i doubt you'd get it from playing 8

Yeah headgaurds are good...I stopped getting put out since I started wearing one , however for some reason I stopped being as big a threat with the ball in hand as well which I believe is die to my peripheral vision being somewhat blocked ...but they do work wonders for head injuries

I wore it during my forward days. Makes leaping into tackles slightly less daunting imo. Anything that stops a bad bang on the head is good with me. As for peripheral vision problems, I've never had any. But then again, I've spent the last 10 years running round with a hurling helmet on my head so I guess you kinda adapt.

The cap shouldn't affect your visio, unless it is a very poor make or you are wearing the wrong size.

As for front-rowers, you don't need to be involved in a lot of scrums to get cauliflower ears, all it takes is one.
On a similair topic, is it better to have one 'cauliflowered' ear than two?

Thanks for the advice i will probably get one just 2 be safe

Yeah I agree with Lord hope. It shouldn't effect your vision at all. I wore one and I played at wing. I think the best example of a play maker wearing headgear (unless someone wants to argue that he doesn't have vision LOL) is probably Matt Giteau. Get the right one though.

As a front rower, I don't wear them. I find that it is just that much harder to collect passes and my cap would keep getting pulled down when in scrum position. I find not having one also allows me to get more aggressive for some reason. With that in mind, if you're getting head injuries, then obviously it isn't a bad train off for any small lapse in performance.

Somebody did a study which showed that headguards did nothing to stop concussions.

Not to say they didnt offer protection from other minor injuries.

One of the Lienster guys (Isaac) had a blog that posted it a few months ago.

I used to wear one, they are good to stop light knocks and cuts etc along with preventing cauliflower ear but for concussion they dont really do much at the end of the day they are 5mm of foam padding.

However when wearing one it didnt really effect my vision etc but now I dont bother with one they are just a hassle imo makes your head really hot on hot days too

Just found this:
http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/news/padded-headgear-won-t-stop-concussion/

Basically: Headgear has no benefit in preventing concussions over not wearing any, it just stops cuts and the such

I know somone who used to get his head knocked all the time in rugby, so (being fairly wealthy) he had a special cap made, that had 2 centimetres of padding and the padding itself was really compact, worked like bloody kevlar!

Another thing 04perryo, when buying a cap try running around/ doing push-ups or something physical when trying it out, it might fit snuggly but the chin strap can be mightily irritating after a little bit of work.

It also helps when you are proping against a really 'boney' opponent, shoulders aren't a nice thing to make contact with at the best of times

A prop with an eating disorder ? :p

Hey, the lower down the pecking order you are, the props are either too, um, sexy to move a lot, or are the type with over sized shoulder blades.
And being the sexy beasts that we are, we won't wear little sissy things like shoulders pads that obscure our magnificent physique :D

Haha lol Lordhope a typical prop and ill take what you said before in mind and when trying it on :)

Head Guard has always been a good idea to wear because it saves the player from head injury that may cause of lose for the team .So it should always be wear to save from injuries .

Latest posts