• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is it possible for Rugby Props to play throwing events?

sigesige00

Bench Player
Can Rugby Props play athletics throwing events, such as Shot Put and Hammer Throw?
Any other sports suitable for Props?:huh:

Of course they CAN - but they wouldn't necessarily be any good at it.

Didn't Matt Stevens become World Champ at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu whilst banned from rugby for drug offences?

Didn't Matt Stevens become World Champ at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu whilst banned from rugby for drug offences?

Ummm, no. I think he got destroyed at an event for the World Champs.

Not that there is a huge correlation between throwing events and the success of rugby union tight forwards, but I know Big Bill Cavubati held the Fijian shot put record for a long time (incidentally played for my rugby club in Wellington - and is a bouncer at Hotel Bristol for any Wellingtonians out there...).

Don't know of any other tight forwards with amazing success at it. I'm sure you're more likely to succeed at it if your an athletic 120kg prop than your average joe, but again it's a bizarre thread...

Yeah, you're right; he got his arse handed to him - does he get credit for being there? or is there no/minimal selection criteria?

Ireland had a prop Gary Halpin he played from 1990-95, besides been a prop he was a hammer thrower represented Ireland in the World Athletics Championship in 1987 and in the Olympic games in Seoul in 1988. he didn't win any medals.

Tom Court was in Olympic contention for the shot put before taking up rugby.

Robbie Morris won a couple of England caps and was a junior discus international.

Moving back a row or two, Victor Costello gained nearly 40 caps for Ireland and represented them in the 92 Olympics at the shot. I think Olivier Merle (now there's the template of a proper French 2nd row) was a good shot putter as well.

Scrummaging's not all about size and nor is throwing. If you want to see athleticism and technique in action check out the world junior record in the javelin at the weekend by Neeraj Chopra of India - 86m by a 19 year old! Or the ultimate, WR holder Jan Zelezny.

The IJF wants to destroy BJJ by banning Judo players from joining BJJ competitions. Sucks.

Latest posts