• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is it too late for me to start playing?

NickM97

Academy Player
I'm currently 23 years old (but probably won't be able to start rugby till I'm 24 because of COVID restrictions).
I have actually done rugby training before, way back in school as part of compulsory PE, and done it more seriously a few years ago when I done School of Hard Knocks (but missed out on the proper match at the end of the course)

I don't have a super strong athletic background, but was starting to play football on a casual basis last year (thwarted by COVID), and have been a keen gym goer for years (I'd built up a lot of strength on the compound lifts last year before gyms closed again back in December), as well as lots of HIIT on the treadmill.
I do consider myself very dedicated to fitness and physical training and never go more than two days without it currently.
Each week I'm doing a couple of HIIT home workouts and running about 4 miles, with gyms being closed.

My question is, with this in mind is it too late for me to start at this rate?
I don't mean playing for Scotland, but more like playing 1st XV or semi professionally (obviously not straight away though).
I would join a team and start training straight away but the only thing stopping me is COVID restrictions.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

So, is your question is it to late to start playing, OR is it too late to start playing at a high standard?

23 is no age at all, so you will have no problems in starting to play at some level, whether that level is what you want is a different matter.

I didn't start playing properly until I was about 23. I'd played minis etc but stopped when I joined the army at 16.

Left the army 7 years later and started playing got up to first team level at Midland North 1 but many played 2nds.

Loved it, made lots of friends who I still have over 20 years later. Would have played a few vets games last year if it hadn't been for covid.

Get yourself down your local club and give it a go.

So, is your question is it to late to start playing, OR is it too late to start playing at a high standard?

23 is no age at all, so you will have no problems in starting to play at some level, whether that level is what you want is a different matter.

Yeah I mean to play at a higher standard, but not as high as the top professional clubs or national teams.

I didn't start playing properly until I was about 23. I'd played minis etc but stopped when I joined the army at 16.

Left the army 7 years later and started playing got up to first team level at Midland North 1 but many played 2nds.

Loved it, made lots of friends who I still have over 20 years later. Would have played a few vets games last year if it hadn't been for covid.

Get yourself down your local club and give it a go.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm wanting to do, the only thing stopping me is the current restrictions due to COVID

I'm currently 23 years old (but probably won't be able to start rugby till I'm 24 because of COVID restrictions).
I have actually done rugby training before, way back in school as part of compulsory PE, and done it more seriously a few years ago when I done School of Hard Knocks (but missed out on the proper match at the end of the course)

I don't have a super strong athletic background, but was starting to play football on a casual basis last year (thwarted by COVID), and have been a keen gym goer for years (I'd built up a lot of strength on the compound lifts last year before gyms closed again back in December), as well as lots of HIIT on the treadmill.
I do consider myself very dedicated to fitness and physical training and never go more than two days without it currently.
Each week I'm doing a couple of HIIT home workouts and running about 4 miles, with gyms being closed.

My question is, with this in mind is it too late for me to start at this rate?
I don't mean playing for Scotland, but more like playing 1st XV or semi professionally (obviously not straight away though).
I would join a team and start training straight away but the only thing stopping me is COVID restrictions.

I'd really appreciate your advice.
Never too late, so long as you accept that you're unlikely to make a career out of it :)

Short answer, it depends.
Going from nowhere to playing at a club where most have been playing for over a decade, is, well, quite a stretch. It's doable, but my gut tells me you will not have fun for quite a while. Having the wrong technique can be quite painful in several areas of the game.

Simple, almost mundane things like a tackle are quite complex if you break them down. There are a LOT of things going on at the same time all very fast. Some things are intuitive, some are not and that is why it helps a LOT to learn as a kid. I've seen a few (not many) big guys go from the gym to a rugby training, generally encouraged by people. All big, fast, etc. They all had issues at the begging with tackling (particularly head placement), and how to fall, with and without the ball. And it makes sense. This are not things that are intuitive and are trained a lot at lower levels. They are critical areas of the game and essential to players' safety.

I dont mean to discourage you. I just want you to be aware of what you are getting yourself into. By all means, give it a try.

Latest posts