Is John O'Neill about to step down

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
The ARU are about to make an announcement (in 10 mins as I write this) about the future of Australian Rugby. Rumours aboun that there is about to be a major overhaul at the ARU with speculation boss John O'Neill will stand down this morning.

Announcementlive here at 12:00 GMT (13:00 NZDT)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...rding-to-reports/story-fn8ouxrc-1226494131356

If he does go, then will that be the signal for the implementation of an ITM Cup style third tier competition in Australia?

Last edited:
rumour has it, but i'd laugh if they announced quade cooper's contract got terminated :p

intersting you found an article on the Herald Sun. it's our local tabloid newspaper here in Melbourne which is usually dominated by AFL, sensationalised media and celebrity rubbish.

YEP he's gone. couldn't hear as I had the volume turned down here at work but did they say matt carroll to take over as interim CEO and they will put it out there for applications?

Another nail of the coffin of "Dingo Deans"?

I hope deans stays on and the new ceo is progressive enough to implement the changes necessary to grow rugby in australia as well as allowing deans the freedom to do whatever he wants. I have a gut feeling that a lot of what deans wants to do is hampered by the frustration of having to go through red tape with JON.

Yea I doubt his contract is getting renewed unless he does brilliant against NH opponents and the Lions.

Either Ewan or Nucifora will get the job, and please be the former.

Yea I doubt his contract is getting renewed unless he does brilliant against NH opponents and the Lions.

Either Ewan or Nucifora will get the job, and please be the former.
I want Quade Cooper to be the first Player/Coach. "Gameplan; Win the ball, pass to me!"

John O'Niel gone!!

Whooooohoooo!! time to party HARD!! Gangnam Style!!
funny-gifs-party-hard.gif

The ARU are about to make an announcement (in 10 mins as I write this) about the future of Australian Rugby. Rumours aboun that there is about to be a major overhaul at the ARU with speculation boss John O'Neill will stand down this morning.

Announcementlive here at 12:00 GMT (13:00 NZDT)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...rding-to-reports/story-fn8ouxrc-1226494131356

If he does go, then will that be the signal for the implementation of an ITM Cup style third tier competition in Australia?

Very interested in this idea, but would a new CEO be able to find the funds to support an idea which is guarenteed to run at a loss? Even if it is best for the development of Australian rugby?

Very interested in this idea, but would a new CEO be able to find the funds to support an idea which is guarenteed to run at a loss? Even if it is best for the development of Australian rugby?

I think they bit off more than they could chew with ARC 1.0 they really need to strip it down and make it a barebones competition without the crowds, big stadiums and entertainment. Just make it about the rugby. Put 6 teams together that play eachother twice, then the top 2 play off in a final, something like that anyway. Keep costs to a minimum.

I think they bit off more than they could chew with ARC 1.0 they really need to strip it down and make it a barebones competition without the crowds, big stadiums and entertainment. Just make it about the rugby. Put 6 teams together that play eachother twice, then the top 2 play off in a final, something like that anyway. Keep costs to a minimum.

The simplest thing to to surely is to use the existing structure of Brumbies, Rebels, Force, Reds, Waratahs and just have a "B" competition using non Super Rugby players.

The simplest thing to to surely is to use the existing structure of Brumbies, Rebels, Force, Reds, Waratahs and just have a "B" competition using non Super Rugby players.

Hmmm... How Original... Almost like the Currie Cup??

Well if it uses the exact same model as the Currie Cup and is successful in developing Aussie rugby depth, then it's not a bad thing right?

Yea I think using the five current teams to form a 3rd tier comp would work as you would already have the fan base two reasons the arc failed was too many teams and the names of the teams for example in Brisbane no one felt a need to support a team called ballymore. also super rugby results that year were the worst ever
Reds 14th
Tahs 12th
Brumbies 5th
Force 7th
Being a massive reds fan after going to every home game that season there was no way i could front up for more rugby and i imagine the tahs fans felt the same way

Last edited:
tahs fans, went to watch sydney or gws play afl as there was far less aimless kicking

it would also be a good way for established players to come back from injury and/or mentor the younger players in the squad by playing alongside them.

Latest posts